+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rumored iPad 5 Specs Come to Light

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Rumored iPad 5 Specs Come to Light

There's been an excessive amount of chatter out of Asia this year regarding Apple's forthcoming iPad 5 release.

Although we're yet to pin down an anticipated launch date (late summer or early fall is the safest bet), we are getting more insight this morning into what we can possibly expect from the refreshed Apple tablet.

On Thursday, a leading industry analyst with an impressive record of prescient predictions regarding unannounced Apple products put forward some new information.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is telling clients that the upcoming iPad 5 will be lighter and thinner than the current 4th-gen Apple iPad. According to BGR, this information corroborates an earlier image leak that suggests a fully redesigned iPad shell that more closely resembles the look and feel of the iPad mini.

“We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15% thinner than iPad 4,” the analyst stated in a research note first obtained by MacRumors. “The new device will likely be about 500 grams, or some 25% lighter than iPad 4, run on an A7X processor, and sport cameras with similar specs to the iPad 4’s (front HD, rear 5MP). The casing shape and color (silver and black) and narrow bezel design will be similar to the iPad mini’s.”

Ming-Chi thinks the iPad 5 will reach consumers in August or September of this year.

Source: BGR

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm getting one

Green Apple
    Thanks

I am waiting for the iPad Mini with retina display.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to garfielgato2 For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (04-18-2013)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrghArgh View Post
    I bought the first generation 3G iPad just before AT&T killed off the unlimited data plans for iPads, but I absolutely refuse to buy another iPad until Apple stops building them with hardware that is less powerful than the current version of the iPhone. I can understand skimping on the first one, but they have no excuse anymore. Whatever douche came up with the idea of planned obsolescence should suffer a painful, tortuous death.
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean? I'm pretty sure all iPads since 2 have had better specs than the iPhone of the same year. Except perhaps the camera. But that shouldn't matter anyway. It's a tablet. Why do you need a camera?

Thanks

Isn't the current phone sporting an A6? This iPad will be an A7 they predict... I guess your right though, if the 5s gets bumped up to the A7 too then they will both use the same processor... That is a lil lame...

I have waited to purchase a iPad since they debuted... Hopefully this will be the one release that really moves me to get it... Hope they will offer more than 128 gigs... That's my only issue with the iPads all this time was the low storage capacity and the inability to add more or easily use a hard drive...
    Last edited by Sage I; 04-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Why is that lame? It'll probably have an A7X chip just like the A6X and A5X before it. So you honestly expect them to make a much better and completely different processor just for the iPad? Instead just improve the one you have slightly to suit the needs of a tablet and it works. Makes complete sense to me. I've seen many android phones and tablets who share the same processors. What's the difference?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sage I View Post
    Isn't the current phone sporting an A6? This iPad will be an A7 they predict... I guess your right though, if the 5s gets bumped up to the A7 too then they will both use the same processor... That is a lil lame...

I have waited to purchase a iPad since they debuted... Hopefully this will be the one release that really moves me to get it... Hope they will offer more than 128 gigs... That's my only issue with the iPads all this time was the low storage capacity and the inability to add more or easily use a hard drive...
    The iPhone and iPad had different processors I believe, A6 vs A6X. The X is a dual core processor bundled with a quad core gpu. The non X variant is just a dual core processor which is what they put in the phones.

Thanks

I bought the first generation 3G iPad just before AT&T killed off the unlimited data plans for iPads, but I absolutely refuse to buy another iPad until Apple stops building them with hardware that is less powerful than the current version of the iPhone. I can understand skimping on the first one, but they have no excuse anymore. Whatever douche came up with the idea of planned obsolescence should suffer a painful, tortuous death.
    Hahahah!!! I concurred

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not enough specs or innovation to upgrade from Ipad 3 then!

Thanks

You can find the full specs and release dates of all iphones and ipads in various places, such as Wikipedia. Compare and you'll see that every iPad released was barely better than the current iPhone or iPhone that was released just after it, and the Mini was just a huge joke altogether.

iPad 1: Released April 2010 - 1GHz A4 (Cortex-A8), 256MB RAM, no cameras
    iPhone 4: Released June 2010 - 1GHz A4 (Cortex-A8), 512MB RAM, 5MP rear camera, .3MP front camera
    iPad 2: Released March 2011 - 1GHz A5 (Cortex-A9), 512MB RAM, .7MP rear camera, .3MP front camera

The original iPad was released only 6 weeks before the iPhone 4 and was based on pretty much the same architecture, yet had half the RAM and no cameras. The iPad 2 was a little bit of a step up with a dual-core Cortex-A9, yet still the same RAM as in the iPhone 4 and a seriously inferior rear camera. Seriously, what was the point of the rear cam at a whopping .7MP?!

iPhone 4S: Released October 2011 - 1GHz A5 (Cortex-A9), 512MB RAM, 8MP rear camera, .3MP front camera
    iPad 3: Released March 2012 - 1GHz A5X (Cortex-A9), 1GB RAM, 5MP rear camera, .3MP front camera

The iPad 3 was only marginally better than the iPhone 4S with a quad-core gpu and double the RAM, but still the same cpu and an inferior rear camera. Still makes no sense, why not just use the same camera instead of taking a step backwards on newer, bigger hardware and why use the same cpu on a new SoC revision?!

iPhone 5: Released September 2012 - 1.3GHz A6 (ARMv7), 1GB RAM, 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera
    iPad 4: November 2012 - 1.4GHz A6X (ARMv7), 1GB RAM, 5MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera
    iPad Mini: November 2012 - 1GHz A5 (Cortex-A9), 512MB RAM, 5MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera

The iPad 4 is still only marginally better than the iPhone 5 with the A6X SoC, but has the same RAM. The iPad Mini - what a joke that was - was just leftover iPhone 4 guts stuck in a smaller iPad shell. Both iPad 4 and Mini have inferior rear cameras that are as good as the then 2.5 year old iPhone 4. And the Mini doesn't even have a Retina display!

Following the trend, this is what I predict:

iPhone 5S: Released October 2013 - 1.5GHz A7, 1GB RAM, 12MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera
    iPad 5: Released November 2013 - 1.6GHZ A7X, 1GB RAM, 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera
    iPad Mini 2: Released November 2013 - 1.3GHz A6 (ARMv7), 512MB RAM, 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera
    Ya! What he said!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

One thing you ever failed to mention was price point. Also there is no point in a 8mp shooter on a tablet. If you are looking speck hungry tablets then by all means buy an android tablet. The iPads are some of the smoothest running tablets out there even with lower specs. I think apple is doing just fine. If you don't like it, then it's just not for you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by garfielgato2 View Post
    I am waiting for the iPad Mini with retina display.
    I hate your avatar I thought a dam spider was on me screen!

Thanks

Just put OS X on it and charge $1000..i'd buy it haha!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Just put OS X on it and charge $1000..i'd buy it haha!
    Might happen if Apple and Intel ever come to a deal to make mobile processors for tablets. Then apple wouldn't have to port OS X to ARM.

Thanks

I don't understand the planned obsolescence thing... Apple supports their hardware longer than any other company. My friend's iPhone 3GS has iOS 6 for god's sake!
    Not one windows 7 phone will run windows 8. 80% of android phones won't run ice cream sandwich!
    So tell me again about this planned obsolescence which you speak of?
    (Oh, and your iPad will still run iOS 6)

Thanks

You clearly do not own a 1st gen iPad otherwise you would know that you can not, in fact, install iOS 6. Apple doesn't want you to install iOS6 on a first-gen iPad, they want you to buy a new one. THAT is planned obsolescence and has been Apple's modus operandi for at least the last 10 years.

How many macs do you know of that were made 10 years ago and will run Mountain Lion? That's correct, exactly 0. Yet there are plenty of PCs that were made 10 years ago that will run Windows 8 just fine. The root of the problem is that Apple controls both the hardware and the OS. The benefit is that the OS is practically guaranteed to perform as it should. The problem is that Apple can and does dictate what hardware you are allowed to install that OS on. Windows and Android, on the other hand, have only basic requirements and can be installed on practically anything.
    Ok, so I was wrong about iPad 1.
    But you must be joking about windows and android!!
    You must not have read my post.
    NO Windows phones made prior to WP8 will run WP8. ONLY HIGH END Android devices such as the Galaxy 3 will run the latest android. They have specific hardware requirements that previous devices won't meet.
    I will give you the thing with Windows 8 being able to run on old computers.
    But if you really want to talk about obsolescence, wether planned or not for MOBILE devices, apple isn't even in the top 3.