Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: F.A.A. May Permit Expanded iPad Use On Board Aircraft

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default F.A.A. May Permit Expanded iPad Use On Board Aircraft

The F.A.A. may soon expand permissions for on board use of today's leading consumer electronics devices.

According to sources close to the Federal Aviation Administration, the agency hopes to relax the rules for ereaders and tablet devices - including Apple's iPad - during takeoff and landing.

The change, however, would not include cellphones.

One member of the group and an official of the F.A.A., both of whom asked for anonymity because they were not allowed to speak publicly about internal discussions, said the agency was under tremendous pressure to let people use reading devices on planes, or to provide solid scientific evidence why they cannot.
    The F.A.A. is not offering comment on the speculation, although the New York Times reports that Senator Claire McCaskill plans to “hold the agency accountable” by introducing legislation related to this issue.

“So it’s O.K. to have iPads in the cockpit; it’s O.K. for flight attendants — and they are not in a panic — yet it’s not O.K. for the traveling public,” McCaskill said. “A flying copy of ‘War and Peace’ is more dangerous than a Kindle.”

Source: NYT

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

#1 Pilots and flight attendants know when to use it and when to turn it off, I would be hesitant to fly on an airline when their pilots are playing with iPads during takeoff/landing the plane.
    #2 It is not flight attendant's job to tell which version iPad/ereader you have or expand their knowledge on the ereaders just to be able to tell passenger can use what.
    #3 If 3G version is banned because it interfere with communications then all versions should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    #1 Pilots and flight attendants know when to use it and when to turn it off, I would be hesitant to fly on an airline when their pilots are playing with iPads during takeoff/landing the plane.
    #2 It is not flight attendant's job to tell which version iPad/ereader you have or expand their knowledge on the ereaders just to be able to tell passenger can use what.
    #3 If 3G version is banned because it interfere with communications then all versions should be banned.
    1) Pilots use iPads for flight manuals and operating aides. (Yes, I agree some pilots fart around too, but that's not why they are allowed.)
    2) Yes, actually, it is. Their job is safety. If they see an unapproved device, or don't know if a device is approved, they can request you turn it off.
    3) That's what airplane mode is for.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bigstudio For This Useful Post:

HovikGas (03-26-2013)

Its 2013, you'd think that a simple cell phone or tablet would not be able to bring down a aircraft or cause Armageddon at this point in time. I think that having this issue is ridiculous and the fact that we are even having this discussion is stupid --- not in-and-of-itself, but this "problem" should have been fixed years ago (from a technological standpoint).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    Its 2013, you'd think that a simple cell phone or tablet would not be able to bring down a aircraft or cause Armageddon at this point in time. I think that having this issue is ridiculous and the fact that we are even having this discussion is stupid --- not in-and-of-itself, but this "problem" should have been fixed years ago (from a technological standpoint).
    Agree!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I fly quite often and never turn my iPad off. I used to travel with an iPad 2 that had the 3G activated and it never brought down a plane. Now I travel with a Mini WiFi, so I worry less that I will be the reason for that A330 or 737 coming down. As for my iPhone, I do turn that off, but only because I want to conserve the battery.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

3g doesnt interfere and yet it does
    myth busters proved it doesnt mess with communications in air
    the reason why i say it does is have you ever gotten a phone call when your speakers were loud and you get that buzzing sound... well in my opinion that why
    ive used my iphone in the air quite a bit, now granted that high up in the air the signal is very spotty from 1 bar to none most of the time but you can take some nice photos out the window