+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 77 of 77

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: 13-Year Old Son of U.K. Policeman Generates $5600 iTunes Bill, Father Reports Fraud

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by Chad711 The kid needs his *** kicked and the dad needs to pay the bill. Lesson learned for both of them. Maybe be a little more dialed
...
  1. #61
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Chad711 View Post
    The kid needs his *** kicked and the dad needs to pay the bill. Lesson learned for both of them. Maybe be a little more dialed into your childs every day life might help too.
    Yes cause abuse is smart. Oh and of course every police officer makes enough to spend 5600 so easily.

    Honestly though the kids thirteen no excuse, the dad should have never given his password. Both are at fault the dad shouldn't put his son in jail but he should be refunded by apple/devs

  2. #62
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    89
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts

    Really? 13? At 13, i could hack into the snakes game that i had on my phone!
    Dont tell me that a 13 year old, unintentionally, can be so fatally stupid. Either its a lie, which sounds more likely.. Or he's retarded.

  3. #63
    Green Apple MMX007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    First of all:
    1. Apple should put a Cap/Limit on in-app or purchases within certain period of time similar way to CashPoint/ATM has fraud prevention system that detects unusual activity - because you're playing with real money.

    2. Every single purchase must be confirmed by entering the password regardless. In reality no one in their right mind would spend like this.

    SO Apple don't be so greedy. Get a f*****g grip. You have more cash lying around than the American government. Fact.

    I love Apple hardware but hate everything else about them. Sorry!

  4. #64
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Sorry, but this is sheer stupidity....

    13 year old boy doesn't know what he is doing? Maybe he should not get anywhere near that iPad....

  5. #65
    iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    187
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    the picture says to me that the kid knows exactly what he was doing, judging from his look and expression. he just looks like the type to start trouble and blame it on another source...

  6. #66
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tongxinshe View Post
    You don't have to continue investing into that game if you don't want to pay. It's like you have to upgrade your car if you think you are obliged to race with others, but you don't really have to win these kind of stuff. Parents giving teenagers enough power to possibly cause this kind of damage need to know their kids better. There are a ton methods other that the iTunes account that they can bring you big trouble (drive your car out for a on-street-racing?).
    Seriously, developing a game targeting say like a 3-8 year old audience SHOULD NOT have any in-app purchases. Anyone that thinks otherwise is either plain stupid, or is gaining from it. It's like letting a 3-8 year old get into a toy store and pick up stuffs and having it billed.

  7. #67
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Default stupid parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuanyu View Post
    Seriously? ... That's a lot of $$$!!
    The father is completely at fault here. A purchase is a purchase.
    Passwords to Itunes and istore accounts should never be shared with kids under a 18. (know your kid first)

    Prevention is better than cure.

  8. #68
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    199
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by *T* View Post
    What an idiot, that kid was probably homeschooled.
    You win the dumba$$, bigoted and clueless remark of this thread. You clearly have no idea what far too many public school systems are like.
    Last edited by MikePA; 03-26-2013 at 02:25 AM.

  9. #69
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    903
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MMX007 View Post
    First of all:
    1. Apple should put a Cap/Limit on in-app or purchases within certain period of time similar way to CashPoint/ATM has fraud prevention system that detects unusual activity - because you're playing with real money.

    2. Every single purchase must be confirmed by entering the password regardless. In reality no one in their right mind would spend like this.

    SO Apple don't be so greedy. Get a f*****g grip. You have more cash lying around than the American government. Fact.

    I love Apple hardware but hate everything else about them. Sorry!
    Over the years, my daughter has occasionally gone over her mobile phone text and data allowance, costing me around 500. I have now switched to Tesco Mobile which have a capped tarrif where the texts,data or calls stop when you reach your limit. If the phone operators can do it, in sure Apple can introduce it in their next iTunes/AppStore update.

    The second thing I did, now my kids are older, was to remove my credit card off their iTunes accounts and they now use their own bank details and spend their own pocket money on it. They are now more careful what they buy!

  10. #70
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts

    Default unfair.
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    Over the years, my daughter has occasionally gone over her mobile phone text and data allowance, costing me around 500. I have now switched to Tesco Mobile which have a capped tarrif where the texts,data or calls stop when you reach your limit. If the phone operators can do it, in sure Apple can introduce it in their next iTunes/AppStore update.

    The second thing I did, now my kids are older, was to remove my credit card off their iTunes accounts and they now use their own bank details and spend their own pocket money on it. They are now more careful what they buy!
    Its unfair to do this. Parents should manage kids. Apple has nothing to do with it. Negligence is on behalf of the parents who allow kids to play with their kids. If i were apple I'd be happy that people are buying more and more apps from my store. How should I know if the ones who are downloading are millionaires or paupers who're going to cry about it later.

    I really don't think apple can do anything about it. that stupid cop/parent better pay.

  11. #71
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    80
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Happens more in UK than anywhere else. Here parents can't issue corporal punishment, nor can schools and the courts just let tell them off, even for serious crimes like burglary. We have a crap system for child guidance, and our present government leader David Cameron is as weak as all the others. He would probably support the child's actions.

  12. #72
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    903
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 69 Times in 66 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    Its unfair to do this. Parents should manage kids. Apple has nothing to do with it. Negligence is on behalf of the parents who allow kids to play with their kids. If i were apple I'd be happy that people are buying more and more apps from my store. How should I know if the ones who are downloading are millionaires or paupers who're going to cry about it later.

    I really don't think apple can do anything about it. that stupid cop/parent better pay.
    What is unfair?
    I buy my daughter for her 18th birthday an iPhone 4S on contract and pay all the bills myself and tell her to keep within the 600 minutes, 1000 texts and 1GB data.
    Over the 18 months of the contract, she occasionally went over these monthly allowances and even took the phone abroad.
    Also with my credit card linked to her iTunes account, I said that one or two songs/apps a week is fine. But this resulted in whole albums being purchased.
    In my opinion, putting her own bank details on iTunes and letting her then be in control of any over spend is a more responsible action and teaches her the need to managing her finances.
    I have been paying the phone contract and additional charges for both my kids for the last 10 years and have learnt that verbal restrictions do not always work. I suspect if the policeman's son had his own bank account linked to iTunes instead of his fathers credit card, he would have been more frugal with his in app purchases.

  13. #73
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    This story aggravates the crap out of me. #1. It is not Apple's fault that this Dad is a Douchebag. #2. The kid is lying his arse off.

    First of all, if you have a child with an iDevice, then why in God's name would you give him your AppleStore login info, or your credit card? Kids are kids, and they have no concept of money, regardless of whether you think you have taught them or not. They want it bad enough, and have a way to pull it off, then they are going to get it.
    Apple iTunes offers everyone gift cards, as well as parental controls. On top of that, you (as a parent, guardian, whatever) can allocate an allowance for your children. It is under their own account, but the money is deducted from your account every month. I give my daughter an allowance and if she spends it all, she has to come back to me.
    In the end, it is the Dad's fault for not being a better parent, and at least checking into all the options available for purchasing entertainment. He probably just wanted the kid to leave him alone and be occupied so he gave him an iPad and an account. Making it un-necessary for him to spend quality time with the kid. He should not be accusing his son of fraud. What an A$$hole

  14. #74
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    121
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 18 Times in 10 Posts

    I like Dave's comment on handling his issue with his own kid. The problem is in our current society it is much more popular to avoid personal responsibility and much easier to blame someone else.

  15. #75
    dsg
    dsg is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life dsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,764
    Thanks
    3,157
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 713 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by lukinrats View Post
    This story aggravates the crap out of me. #1. It is not Apple's fault that this Dad is a Douchebag. #2. The kid is lying his arse off.

    First of all, if you have a child with an iDevice, then why in God's name would you give him your AppleStore login info, or your credit card? Kids are kids, and they have no concept of money, regardless of whether you think you have taught them or not. They want it bad enough, and have a way to pull it off, then they are going to get it.
    Apple iTunes offers everyone gift cards, as well as parental controls. On top of that, you (as a parent, guardian, whatever) can allocate an allowance for your children. It is under their own account, but the money is deducted from your account every month. I give my daughter an allowance and if she spends it all, she has to come back to me.
    In the end, it is the Dad's fault for not being a better parent, and at least checking into all the options available for purchasing entertainment. He probably just wanted the kid to leave him alone and be occupied so he gave him an iPad and an account. Making it un-necessary for him to spend quality time with the kid. He should not be accusing his son of fraud. What an A$$hole
    This is why the in app purchases should be off by default
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

    look here all grammar police, indulge me.

  16. #76
    My iPhone is a Part of Me PoEtikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    579
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 63 Times in 45 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    let this be a lesson jerk watch your kid and this would not happen .

    dumb azz cop thinks he is aboue the laws why would you give the kid free roam on the i pad jerk.
    Y E A H ! You....you....jerk.

  17. #77
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    1) You said certain games make you purchase items etc to progress in the game and that this is wrong, the flip side being, not purchasing items is right (getting them free).

    2&3) The main concern is the exploitation of children and those who do not know better. Rather than wrap them up in cotton wool and protect them from the evil developers, why not educate the children so that they DO know better and fully understand the consequences of their actions? Otherwise they'll just be scammed and exploited by the next con to come along. If they're too young to understand these consequences then to me they're too young to be using the device in that way and should be supervised by the parent.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts