+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 13-Year Old Son of U.K. Policeman Generates $5600 iTunes Bill, Father Reports Fraud

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If I was ever any party in this type of situation I'd NEVER post my face in some news article.
    Thanks

If I was ever any party in this type of situation I'd NEVER post my face in some news article.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Norb For This Useful Post:

Mohit555 (03-25-2013)

Thanks

If you do not know that whenever iTunes is asking for your account password to make a purchase you are ACTUALLY spending money, then you are brainless and you should be banned from using ANY electronic device.

Cop son or not, this is ridiculous.
    It's just like begging for one's right to utter stupidity.

Go to $ch00l and learn to READ!!!

If you do not know that whenever iTunes is asking for your account password to make a purchase you are ACTUALLY spending money, then you are brainless and you should be banned from using ANY electronic device.

Cop son or not, this is ridiculous.
    It's just like begging for one's right to utter stupidity.

Go to $ch00l and learn to READ!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Daddy pig is going to be disappointed when Baby pig can't get a decent job in future thanks to that fraud charged he copped.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple need to get a grip of this, but really it's the parents fault for lack of supervision. Especially here in the UK where kids are responsible for most crime and our magistrates and judges are the weakest in the world. So no deterrant.

*T*
    Thanks

What an idiot, that kid was probably homeschooled. 13 year olds know roght from wrong, I hope the father punishes that kid. The 5600 comes from the rat's college account

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The dad is a moron...and the kid is just stupid for doing that! I guarantee the kid knew what he was doing and thought it would be funny....but it didn't turn out that way. Both deserve a beating and should be held reliable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

******** family. Should have an additional $5600 surcharge for being so stupid. All my kids have iOS devices. Even at 8 yrs old, they knew about In App Purchases and that they are not to buy any of it. And yes, they do have my iTunes password. They still ask me before downloading a free app too.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

He's 13 years old and he should have enough common sense to see that it costs real money, probably why Apple won't refund him. For a 5 year old, it's a bit more understandable IMO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XenoSaber View Post
    I don't know, 13? By 13 these days, kids can hack into things and understand technology quite well. I don't buy it. I think he did know exactly what he was doing. The 5 year old, sure, I can see that. My 2 1/2 yr old has purchase stuff on my phone accidentally, so I can buy 5, but 13, no way! And after looking at the picture again, he does look kind of shifty to me.

Totally agree with you!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope that now the father has openly admitted to reporting his son for fraud, with the sole intention of receiving a refund from Apple, that he gets fined for wasting police time with what should be a domestic matter.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If that's the worst mistake the kid ever makes the father should consider himself LUCKY!

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shahab86 View Post
    Is there some kind of competition going on that I Dont know about.... Who can get the highest iTunes Bill of em all
    Hahaha same type thought crossed my mind

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGIAMIU View Post
    Did you ever purchased an app from iTunes?! It looks like you didn't. Apple has no responsibility or liability. Parent watch your kids and don't leave your parental control guard down. At the end the iTunes is like a wallet full of money left open to be used. Put passwords, set securities and these kind of things will never occur. We never learn from others mistake and eventually will come back to hunt us.
    I disagree, Apple is responsible for creating this environment that developers are clearly taking advantage of. I have nothing against in-app purchases in and of themselves, but when they are put in games that are clearly aimed at young audiences, then it feels just like those 1-900 numbers you had all over television programming for children in the 70's, 80's, and some of the 90's iirc. The fact that anyone could accumulate anywhere near a sum like that in a game is a problem in and of it self. Developers taking advantage the "getting the high score" style of competition (a la old-school arcades) to motivate such spending in order to get the edge in the game is another.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to szr For This Useful Post:

dsg (03-25-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

The kid knew. He knew better. He can read properly I bet also. Just another 'bad kid' like we all were ....

Green Apple
    Thanks

He dose not deserve a refund, he needs to wake up and accept responsibility! It was his ipad, his itunes account, his credit card so it is also his problem. Not the kids and not Apple's, period!

Thanks

Dumm and Dummer
    Last edited by blkcadi; 03-25-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

13 really, he should have known better, parents need to SUPERVISE THEM or don't let them use the unit, simple as that.. oh here's one put an itunes card on your account NOT your credit card. really. stupid *** people

Green Apple
    Thanks

Parents that allow their kids to do this should be put in jail for pure stupidity! With how much this has been in the press lately there is no reason for this! And 13yrs old he knew dam well what he was doing!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is why it is incredibly dangerous to set up your iPhone/Pad/etc to not insist on your cloud password for every access to the store, even updates. I WANT iTunes to ask for my password each time I buy an app or download an update.

There is s cYdia app that automatically implants your store/cloud password: And unless you have a bottomless wallet, I highly suggest you not install that.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,485 Times in 615 Posts

the In-App Purchases should be switched off by default and the Require Password should be defaulted to be required Immediately

but they'll not do that because then they wouldn't make **** loads of money by people making accidental purchases
    Last edited by dsg; 03-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.