Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can Amazon Defeat Apple's iPad with $99 Kindle Fire HD?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Can Amazon Defeat Apple's iPad with $99 Kindle Fire HD?

The rumor mill set the tech blogosphere blazing this week with rampant talk that Amazon would soon roll out a $99 Kindle Fire HD, dramatically undercutting the entry price point of Apple's market leading iPad.

For many prospective tablet buyers, a $99 Kindle Fire HD might be an offer that's too good to refuse. As it turns out, however, the deal itself is what's likely too good to be true.

According to published reports Wednesday, a representative for the online retail giant and maker of the Kindle family of tablets and ereaders calls the rumors of a $99 deal inaccurate. Although TechCunch reported the inexpensive price tag would soon manifest, a rep for Amazon tells Business Insider that buyers should not hold their breath for this.

"It's not happening--we are already at the lowest price points possible for that hardware," an Amazon spokesperson was quoted. For the time being, however, TechCrunch appears to be standing by its initial report.

Source: Business Insider

Why did u bother reporting on this?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustard05 For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-20-2013), Freund117 (03-20-2013)

To answer the title : NO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bisayakid07 For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by bisayakid07 View Post
    To answer the title : NO
    Get what you pay for, so I agree.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BhadKarma For This Useful Post:

ferris419 (03-20-2013)

Banned
    Thanks

$99 or 99 cents., the Kindle brand which is seemingly popular and has the reputation of cutting apple's ipad market share in half is a tablet that I would not buy.

I purchased the very first kindle to support Amazon and the Android community but that tablet is and Amazon's Android is more locked down and restricted than apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

lol...is this for real.. for tablets apple has it by far. Lol.. $99 your joking.. thats like comparing a ford with a ferrari. what a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    lol...is this for real.. for tablets apple has it by far. Lol.. $99 your joking.. thats like comparing a ford with a ferrari. what a joke.
    Depends which ford lol
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

1st comment people make about the fire is "it feels cheep" then it's put down and they move on to other tablets not always iPads but there is better tablets around the same price, when people return them to my employer the biggest complaint is the App Store is very restricted by amazon

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    You can root the Kindle Fire HD and turn it into a full blown Android 4.2 JB tablet...at $99, it's a steal. Amazon may lock their tablet down but there are simple ways around it.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Obviously Amazon is reducing the price because the Kindle Fire HD ISN'T beating the iPad...still at $99 it might sell a few more but nothing compared to iPad sales. People would rather pay more money for something useful and straightforward.

The average consumer who is on a tight budget, will buy a $99 fire HD in a heartbeat! Your talking a savings of $229 over the ipad mini, that's huge.

I agree with most of you about how comparing the Kindle Fire with the iPad is like comparing apples and oranges, however, a $100 price-tag would be a perfect companion for my car. I wanted a designated tablet with 4g/LTE for my car for dedicated GPS, and just basic web browsing or other things when I need it. An iPad is too much of a premium for such a mundane luxury, so $100 will make my car seem a bit more awesome.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Didn't they already release something that was 'HD'.. Or was that a nook or...

But personally I would get a nexus 7 as a tablet if I had to choose a budget type one.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,534 Times in 7,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    $99 or 99 cents., the Kindle brand which is seemingly popular and has the reputation of cutting apple's ipad market share in half is a tablet that I would not buy.

I purchased the very first kindle to support Amazon and the Android community but that tablet is and Amazon's Android is more locked down and restricted than apple.
    lol, half? I would say that is an exaggeration, not a reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin9001 View Post
    Didn't they already release something that was 'HD'.
    Yes, they did. But not for $99.

They are fighting over 2 different markets... In which someone/household can have both without it conflicting..

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colwood's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd consider getting one just to check out jb 4.2