+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google to Release Updated Nexus 7 Prior to Apple's Next-Gen iPad Mini Release

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Google to Release Updated Nexus 7 Prior to Apple's Next-Gen iPad Mini Release

Google may beat Apple to the high-resolution 7-inch form factor tablet market with a revamped Nexus 7 in the second quarter of 2013 according to NPD DisplaySearch. Google’s high-res tablet is expected to release just before the launch of a Retina display-toting next-generation iPad mini, which is said to be released in either the third or fourth quarter of 2013.

According to CNET, the supply chain checks point to a possible third quarter production for the so called “iPad mini 2” which is rumored to come packed with a Retina display. The estimate seems to be in line with a previous report from KGI analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo, who said that he expects a Retina version of Apple’s small format iPad to be introduced in the middle of the third quarter.

As far as the specs go, DisplaySearch analyst, Paul Semenza believes the mini’s display should boast a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, which he said is “the typical step up when you go to Retina.” If Apple stays with a 7.9-inch screen, the pixel density would reach 324 pixels per inch which is almost identical to the 326 ppi panel used in the iPhone 5. By comparison, the current iPad mini employs a 1,024 by 768 display with a pixel density of 163 ppi.

To compete with Apple, Google is thought to be readying a follow up to its Nexus 7. The updated tablet will supposedly up screen resolution to 1,920 by 1,200 pixels, which is in line with Apple’s Retina-level panels at a pixel density of 323 ppi. Ultimately, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens and how each device will turn out.

Source: NPD DisplaySearch via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

Ive been wanting a Nexus 7 since launch but I wanted a higher es display and expandable memory. Id get the iPad mini HD "IF" the price is not more than $320-ish

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Ive been wanting a Nexus 7 since launch but I wanted a higher es display and expandable memory. Id get the iPad mini HD "IF" the price is not more than $320-ish
    Knowing Apple, they'll probably keep it at the same price. After all, it's the same mini with a better display

iPhone? More like MyPhone StuG III's Avatar
    Thanks

The Nexus looks better IMO

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

To be honest, I can not see much of a difference between retina and non-retina. Maybe my eyesight is just not good enough to see it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    To be honest, I can not see much of a difference between retina and non-retina. Maybe my eyesight is just not good enough to see it.
    I agree i really dont see much difference

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

"If Apple stays with a 7.9-inch screen, the pixel density would reach 324 pixels per inch which is almost identical to the 326 ppi panel used in the iPhone 5. By comparison, the current iPad mini employs a 1,024 by 768 display with a pixel density of 163 ppi."

Current iPad has 163 ppi. If they kept the same 7.9" screen and doubled the pixel density, how is that 324 ppi? Redo that math. It's the same pixel density as the iPhone's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jj2345's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see much difference either lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nexus 7 released in July and iPad mini in November of 2012. To keep up with the yearly refresh I would think Nexus would come first. Google isn't releasing to beat out the mini but its just time to release an update.

Thanks

iPad mini is really & iPad2. If you compare the iPad Mini to say..the iPad3 or 4..yeah you'll notice a difference At least i can..cause i own a Mini & the i5 & i notice a difference.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Just for your reference, since you're looking to buy one: I have both a Nexus 7 and a 3rd Gen iPad. The DPI of the 3rd Gen iPad's actually just 264dpi (same as the 4th Gen iPad) -- quite a bit less than an iPhone 5's 326dpi. The Nexus 7's is 216dpi. That isn't quite iPad-level retina but it's essentially equivalent to that on a 'Retina' MacBook Pro (220dpi).

In terms of the crispness of text, you can't really tell a huge difference between the Nexus 7 and the iPad. That's important if you plan to use the Nexus 7 for reading, which is what I use mine for primarily. Also, images generally tend to look pretty high-res on a Nexus 7. I think once you get past 200dpi, panels start to look very crisp.

The complaint I've read among other Nexus 7 users isn't so much the screen resolution as it is the panel's color reproduction. A lot of people think it's washed out. I personally don't think so -- the colors on a Nexus 7 look a lot like that on a MacBook Pro using the standard color profile -- but your personal preference may be different from mine.

Also, I hope that when Google releases their next Nexus 7, they use better speakers -- the internet's littered with complaints about busted Nexus 7 speakers (I had mine replaced after a month) or low volume. In contrast even though the iPad's speakers won't win any awards, they're pretty loud and ideal for consuming media on the go when you don't have a portable blue tooth speak with you and it's too inconvenient to use headphones... and if you're getting one, the Wi-Fi + Wireless is the model to get. Always-on data is awesome.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jpbl1976 For This Useful Post:

Colwood (03-17-2013)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

In the immortal words of Butthead.... You can't polish a turd Beavis!

Of course I joke..... I have never used this machine but I'm sure it's very nice.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKCHRIS View Post
    iPad mini is really & iPad2. If you compare the iPad Mini to say..the iPad3 or 4..yeah you'll notice a difference At least i can..cause i own a Mini & the i5 & i notice a difference.
    I do have the mini and the 4 and a i5 and I can not see a difference lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

And it has GPS chip unlike the Ipad Mini wifi, that may just as well be shipped with location services disabled, because for location apps that require any degree of accuracy it is useless. When will apple include a GPS chip in their non cellular hardware.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,856 Times in 884 Posts

Where I see the difference is in color saturation and quality. The iPad mini is a bit washed out compared to the iPhone and iPad retina