Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Patent Outlines Charging iPad Smartcover

Default New Patent Outlines Charging iPad Smartcover

A new Apple patent published Thursday outlines an iPad cover that would wirelessly charge your iPad.

U.S. patent application no. 20130063873 details a wireless inductive charging solution that would finally warrant the term smart cover. The smart cover would itself include an inductive charging element and a battery, acting as a seamless charging case/apparatus.

Current inductive charging solutions aren’t nearly as “invisible” and involve physical stands you must set the device on, aren’t technically wireless, and definitely are not portable.

“Although a variety of standards have been developed for providing wireless communication with electronic devices, these devices continue to be plagued with a need for corded power supplies. These cords are a burden to use, store and carrying around as needed. Cords can be unsightly and substantially hinder portable device mobility.” — Apple Patent Description
    The patent, while commendable in its goals, has a number of hurdles ot overcome including managing the smart cover magnets, and the inductive charging element, not to mention the battery hidden in the smart cover itself. A flexible and thin battery would need to be developed which could inhibit just how beneficial the added battery life would be. Most importantly, at what premium would the case come?

Source: Wired

That'd be kinda heavy I would think?
    Speaking of iPad battery charging... I recently bought an iPad 4 for my kid and as I understand it, USB ports won't charge the battery.. But I've found that even though this is the case.. and it says "not charging" while plugged into a PC... a number of times now I have left it plugged in for a while and found it at 100% when I've unplugged it... despite being at like 70 or 80% when I plugged it in..?
    Anyone else found this? Or am I bonkers?

I don't see the point of making it wireless... Why not make each section of the smart cover a battery so they don't need to invent some kind of flexible battery, and instead of using "Wireless Charging," why not just make contact point on the side of the iPad and on the smart covers magnet strip? This would also fix the issue of having an antenna breaking due to constant flexing of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    Speaking of iPad battery charging... I recently bought an iPad 4 for my kid and as I understand it, USB ports won't charge the battery.. But I've found that even though this is the case.. and it says "not charging" while plugged into a PC... a number of times now I have left it plugged in for a while and found it at 100% when I've unplugged it... despite being at like 70 or 80% when I plugged it in..?
    Has been known since the first iPad.
    http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/04/ipad-not-charging.html#.UUJO4Pq9LCQ
    Last edited by iBanks; 03-14-2013 at 05:28 PM.

What about an otter box type case with solar panels on back. Set my iphone face down. Charges battery.
    Patent pending
    Peace

Can i say that

Quote Originally Posted by radioBirdman View Post
    i do know that when you connect a ipad to computer USB it should say "not charging" ( i cant say for sure because my custom build pc has a AI charger {by asus})) similarly the same with the iPhone charger on an iPad. the iPhone charger pushes 5 watts, where the iPad charger pushes 10 watts. what you may be experience is your USB pushing 6-9 watts which charges the iPad slowly but dont show as charging. then again i could be WAAAYYY off.

*this theory is based on being ripped off by a 10 watt charger that "claims" to charge iPhone and iPad at the SAME TIME (if you want to charge both you are required a min of 15 watts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to highboi For This Useful Post:

radioBirdman (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dgow452 View Post
    What about an otter box type case with solar panels on back. Set my iphone face down. Charges battery.
    Patent pending
    Peace

Can i say that
    That's not as original as you act..