Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IDC: Android Tablets to End iPad's Market Lead This Year

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default IDC: Android Tablets to End iPad's Market Lead This Year

Apple's once commanding leading in the tablet market will officially end this year at the hands of a little green robot. IDC projects that Android will surpass iPad in the global race for tablet supremacy before 2013 comes to an end.

“One in every two tablets shipped this quarter was below 8 inches in screen size. And in terms of shipments, we expect smaller tablets to continue growing in 2013 and beyond,” says Jitesh Ubrani, Research Analyst for IDC’s Tablet Tracker. “Vendors are moving quickly to compete in this space as consumers realize that these small devices are often more ideal than larger tablets for their daily consumption habits.”

Android’s share of the market is forecast to reach a peak of 48.8% this year (compared to 41.5% in IDC’s previous forecast). IDC says Android’s gains come at the expense of Apple’s iOS, which is now projected to fall from 51% of the market in 2012 to 46% in 2013.

Longer term, however, IDC believes that both iOS and Android will “eventually relinquish” some market share to Windows-based tablets, with Windows 8 predicted to grow from 1% of the market in 2012 to 7.4% in 2017.

Source: IDC

Banned
    Thanks

a 3-way race is the ideal situation for consumers.

I'll take QUALITY over Quantity any day, keep your little droid crap.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

So people want larger phones and smaller tablets?

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Hello...phablet!

My ipad mini, iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook, airport express and base station all work together in ways the android has yet to even consider. That, and the fantastic quality, I will take.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rcworship For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    Hello...phablet!

My ipad mini, iPhone, Apple TV, MacBook, airport express and base station all work together in ways the android has yet to even consider. That, and the fantastic quality, I will take.
    And what way is that? In what way do Google services and wireless routers NOT do the same thing as iTunes and Airport? In fact...google services do MORE than iTunes. With JUST my gmail account, I can sync bookmarks, apps, browsing history, music, contacts, secondary email accounts, purchase history, and remote app installation via online play store.

What is android NOT doing yet? How is it NOT working together? I think you areva fan boy who has never used Android, but loves to bash it.

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I'll take QUALITY over Quantity any day, keep your little droid crap.
    And you...the only quality you get from Apple is when you jailbreak. If you wanna talk quality, I will ask you about the quality of Apple's innovation. Granted...Apple has great quality when innovating lawsuits, colors, and shapes...but when was the last time we saw something GREAT come from Apple, to iOS?

It wasnt Apple Maps. It wasn't Siri. This **** has existed for ages. We are talking about a company that could not define the phrase "quick toggles". We are talking about a company that didn't allow homescreen wallpapers until the 3rd version of their iOS. A company that rehashes the same look year, after year. A company that blames end users for manufacturing defects...telling us WE are holding the phone wrong when the antenna shorts out.

Quality of innovation goes to Android buddy. Quality of build means **** in the end of the day. No matter what you have, when you drop it, the screen will get damaged, the chassis will get scratched. It is all made in China. If you wanna talk quality...talk software.
    Last edited by LivesForJihad; 03-13-2013 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Hahahaha.. Yes! Android people are all kinds of crazy! They just dont want boundaries between devices. Ive seen a couple of people make calls on their galaxy tab!

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    And what way is that? In what way do Google services and wireless routers NOT do the same thing as iTunes and Airport? In fact...google services do MORE than iTunes. With JUST my gmail account, I can sync bookmarks, apps, browsing history, music, contacts, secondary email accounts, purchase history, and remote app installation via online play store.

What is android NOT doing yet? How is it NOT working together? I think you areva fan boy who has never used Android, but loves to bash it.

And you...the only quality you get from Apple is when you jailbreak. If you wanna talk quality, I will ask you about the quality of Apple's innovation. Granted...Apple has great quality when innovating lawsuits, colors, and shapes...but when was the last time we saw something GREAT come from Apple, to iOS?

It wasnt Apple Maps. It wasn't Siri. This **** has existed for ages. We are talking about a company that could not define the phrase "quick toggles". We are talking about a company that didn't allow homescreen wallpapers until the 3rd version of their iOS. A company that rehashes the same look year, after year. A company that blames end users for manufacturing defects...telling us WE are holding the phone wrong when the antenna shorts out.

Quality of innovation goes to Android buddy. Quality of build means **** in the end of the day. No matter what you have, when you drop it, the screen will get damaged, the chassis will get scratched. It is all made in China. If you wanna talk quality...talk software.
    But can your android do the HARLEM SHAKE? Cuz as of now, all ios devices running ios 6 can, owing the the new jb tweak.
    Androids and their services feel glitchy, cheap and always lack the finesse that people paying such large amount of money expect. Thats where they lack.
    Plus, the android is a very complicated phone. Not for enthusiasts like us, but for the general population.
    My dad used to make calls on his android.. Or take a picture or two.
    Then he got an iphone, and ive had days when he comes up to me and twlls me a feature or two. He installs apps, has a gigantic photo library and doesore than what you normally do on a smartphone!
    Sure the specs and all are great on those new android devices but tell me this thing, how is my ip4, launched 3 years back still better at playing games than the s3? Temple run lags on the s3 sometimes but never on my iphone. Its more about usage of the available resources on the phone rather than the amount of resources available.

Sorry.. *complicated phone OS.
    Last edited by Mohit555; 03-13-2013 at 12:52 AM.

I think it had to happen at some stage, doesn't matter if they are better or worse. There are just so many more Android based devides to choose from, (at no doubt lower prices).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I think it had to happen at some stage, doesn't matter if they are better or worse. There are just so many more Android based devides to choose from, (at no doubt lower prices).
    True that, but you're not going to blame apple for not producing cheap and 'every range' devices, are u?
    And how does choice even matter when you're being made to choose from sub standard phones on an os which, to be completely honest, feels like its still in the beta stage. The no of bugs/crashes/ 'force closes' i used to experience in about a week's use of my android phone (s2), i havent experienced during the entire lifetime of my iphone (1 year 4 months)

And the hilarious fact is that s2 has better specs! Double the ram of the 4s, greater ghz and what not! Most androids will give u impressive numbers and a shallow satisfactory feel till u start using them and find out that the latest android that u bought is unable to run games and other apps ( the reason one buys a smartphone) as smoothly as a 3 year old iphone! Hahahaha

THESE are the real user statistics, not just some sales number randomly thrown at the world.

NOW THE IPHONE MIGHT NOT BE IMPLICITLY DESIGNED FOR HUMANS LIKE THE GS3, but it delivers a better performance to its owner, may it be a human or a dolphin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohit555 View Post
    Hahahaha.. Yes! Android people are all kinds of crazy! They just dont want boundaries between devices. Ive seen a couple of people make calls on their galaxy tab!

But can your android do the HARLEM SHAKE? Cuz as of now, all ios devices running ios 6 can, owing the the new jb tweak.
    Androids and their services feel glitchy, cheap and always lack the finesse that people paying such large amount of money expect. Thats where they lack.
    Plus, the android is a very complicated phone. Not for enthusiasts like us, but for the general population.
    Then he got an iphone, and ive had days when he comes up to me and twlls me a feature or two. He installs apps, has a gigantic photo library and doesore than what you normally do on a smartphone!
    Sure the specs and all are great on those new android devices but tell me this thing, how is my ip4, launched 3 years back still better at playing games than the s3? Temple run lags on the s3 sometimes but never on my iphone. Its more about usage of the available resources on the phone rather than the amount of resources available.

HUH? So....Android is a complicated phone...that is made for the general population. And the iphone is I guess you would say a simple phone made for enthusiasts? Your logic doesnt make much sense.
    Last edited by jasvncnt10; 03-13-2013 at 08:23 AM.

You have to turn off autocorrect on your iphone guy.

Anyhow after you get off the fanboy horse, this is good for the consumer, we get better and better products in the future with much more innovation from all sides.
    iPhone 5s/iPad Air
    HTC One
    Note 3 <--- <3

Thing is it's designed for a lower price point. That makes a big difference for some people. It's worth bearing in mind that it's the main factor some too.

Quote Originally Posted by jasvncnt10 View Post
    HUH? So....Android is a complicated phone...that is made for the general population. And the iphone is I guess you would say a simple phone made for enthusiasts? Your logic doesnt make much sense.
    Take Your Little Green Robot, And Get Out Of Our Site!!
    Last edited by 2k1; 03-14-2013 at 04:02 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ZealFied For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-13-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow if you can't use an Android phone you shouldn't own any smartphone. Is going to the Play Store and installing apps really that complicated? a 4 year old can handle a smartphone better than your dad. Temple Run doesn't lag on the S3, for i have played it on there. Temple Run 2 doesn't lag on my Droid DNA so idk where your getting all this lag stuff from. My DNA blows away your ip4 in every aspect. It's not glitchy or cheap. Android is not that hard to use, heck even i changed my entire layout of the phone. Has some of my most used apps and link on the right side like, twitter, modmyi and the playstore. -screenshot_2013-03-13-15-55-46.png

Quote Originally Posted by ZealFied View Post
    Take Your Little Green Robot, And Get The F**k Out Of Our Site!!
    Do you own this site? Didn't think so, so do everyone a favor and stfu. You seem like you can't handle different opinions
    Last edited by Painkiller006; 03-13-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    from my rooted Droid DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Wow if you can't use an Android phone you shouldn't own any smartphone. Is going to the Play Store and installing apps really that complicated? a 4 year old can handle a smartphone better than your dad. Temple Run doesn't lag on the S3, for i have played it on there. Temple Run 2 doesn't lag on my Droid DNA so idk where your getting all this lag stuff from. My DNA blows away your ip4 in every aspect. It's not glitchy or cheap. Android is not that hard to use, heck even i changed my entire layout of the phone. Has some of my most used apps and link on the right side like, twitter, modmyi and the playstore. -screenshot_2013-03-13-15-55-46.png

Do you own this site? Didn't think so, so do everyone a favor and stfu. You seem like you can't handle different opinions
    They secretly wish their phones could do what are phones can do. My DNA smokes all iPhones. If they truly used a android,They would know what they say is ********. I don't know about temple run on the gs3 but on the DNA it's flawless.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cmay227 For This Useful Post:

Painkiller006 (03-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post

This is an apple fanboy sight, genius! Get a grip! Thirdly, I have an android tablet that I was finally able to pass to my wife n kids once the ipad mini came out, and, yes, it's rooted, thank you very much. Btw, made in china or not, my apple products are made (externally) from glass and metal, not plastic. Feels better in my hands, like a million bucks, not a cheap weightless plastic toy. There are plenty of great things about android and google as with apple. This whole "yours sucks" war is so childish. If one was no good, there wouldn't be millions sold the world over. Stop being angry because your want an (un) holy war! Enjoy your preferred device and I'll enjoy mine.
    Last edited by Simon; 03-14-2013 at 11:56 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rcworship View Post
    Hello...phablet!

More research you failed to do. Android's can do all of that.
    FYI: I have both Apple and Android devices; equally as smooth.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

The very fact that Android CANNOT do the Harlem shake is why it is better.

And seriously...how is Android "more complex"? If anything, Android is easier to root, and just as easy to navigate. Swipe the screen left or right. Touch the screen. Press the button to wake it up. If anything...iOS has a deeper menu tree than Android does. Have you ever gone into iOS settings? There are sub-menus after sub-menus after sub-menus in that thing. That sounds more complex than Android. Calling Androind complex is such a weak argument.

These are UNIVERSAL concepts.

Both environments have cameras
    Both environments can install apps from a central location
    Both environments are touch enabled
    Both environments have web browsers, settings menus, and galleries.

It is like saying I can drive a Ford, but I cannot drive a Toyota because the steering wheel has different buttons on it. Go and take your complexity argument and shove it up whatever hole you crap out of.

And as for your question as to why Temple Run lags on your S3 and not on your iPhone 4. The fact of the matter is, is that is not a hardware problem. The problem resides in the game itself. The Architecture of the game may be coded to take advantage of different hardware that is not being used in the S3. This is a problem, even for PC gamers. SOme games run better on different cards. Crysis games, for example, are designed to take advantage of the Nvidia architecture. The equivalent ATI card will not show the same performance, and will be slightly slower. It is why some android apps are called "Tegra optimized". This means that some apps run better on the Nvidia Tegra chipset.

The same notion applies here. With so much hardware in the Android ecosystem (a good thing for CONSUMERS because have things called PREFERENCES) it is tough for one single app to run exceptionally on every platform.

For example, I have a Galaxy Note 1 (it replaced my iPhone 4) and 9/10 times, the performance I saw on my Note 1 exceeded my iPhone 4 when I tested multi-platform apps. It is all in the architecture.

Also...your Dad is pretty stupid if he cannot figure out how to use an Android device. I know 4 year olds who know how to use Android devices.

Thanks

Tired of this same old wasted conversation that only losers entertain now. Why dnt u go get a job or a hobby?
    Last edited by Simon; 03-14-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 7,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    Android is not that hard to use, heck even i changed my entire layout of the phone. Has some of my most used apps and link on the right side like, twitter, modmyi and the playstore. -screenshot_2013-03-13-15-55-46.png
    What are you using to do that layout like that?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

Painkiller006 (03-14-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast