Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Oxford Researchers Turn iPads Into Chauffeurs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Oxford Researchers Turn iPads Into Chauffeurs

One day when your grandchildren need a ride to the mall, just sit back and relax. The iPad will drive 'em there.

Sounds far-fetched. And perhaps it is. But it's a reality that Oxford University researchers are working toward with a surprising degree of success.

The researchers are touting a new robotic technology that enables the Apple iPad to take control of a vehicle's navigation. The system developed is capable of recognizing its surroundings using small cameras and lasers built into the body of the adapted electric car. All components of the system are connected to a computer in the boot.

The work is a milestone on the way to creating everyday vehicles that can offer 'auto drive' for some parts of a journey, taking the strain off drivers during a busy commute or school run.
    "We are working on a low-cost 'auto drive' navigation system, that doesn't depend on GPS, done with discreet sensors that are getting cheaper all the time," explains Oxford Professor Paul Newman. "It's easy to imagine that this kind of technology could be in a car you could buy."

Newman envisions a time when such an option is both affordable and easy to come by on automobiles everywhere.

"Instead of imagining some cars driving themselves all of the time we should imagine a time when all cars can drive themselves some of the time," he added. "The sort of very low cost, low footprint autonomy we are developing is what’s needed for everyday use."

Source: Oxford

So when an accident occurs who's the one to blame here the iPad or the passengers??
    Also I could just imagine the insurance rate for a car with this feature.

Dont boast about ipad. Its not the ipad thats driving the car. Its the application and the technology. Put the application in an android tablet and that should work too.

Has also been done by Google Self-Driving Car Test: Steve Mahan - YouTube

Will this be the next Google vs Apple ?

Quote Originally Posted by hapishyguy View Post
    Dont boast about ipad. Its not the ipad thats driving the car. Its the application and the technology. Put the application in an android tablet and that should work too.
    I would agree with you but am only going by what the title says and clearly it says iPad... Also the car is being driven by the application but what's running the application?? the iPad tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroskater61 View Post
    So when an accident occurs who's the one to blame here the iPad or the passengers??
    Also I could just imagine the insurance rate for a car with this feature.
    Well the driver has to always be aware of his surroundings and take control of the vehicle if an accident is imminent.. As for car insurance rates, I would presume they would go down substantially if the vehicle has these features equipped since most accidents comprise of human error, speeding and drunk driving... Which will never be an issue with autonomous cars..

Quote Originally Posted by slayorktc View Post
    Well the driver has to always be aware of his surroundings and take control of the vehicle if an accident is imminent.. As for car insurance rates, I would presume they would go down substantially if the vehicle has these features equipped since most accidents comprise of human error, speeding and drunk driving... Which will never be an issue with autonomous cars..
    I would agree but if the driver has to do that then isn't it a bit pointless to even have this in there car in the first place I mean the whole idea of this is to let the tablet drive while the driver/person just enjoys the ride but if the driver/person is going to be looking around the whole time with his hands ready to grab the wheel then it's dumb to even have it in the first place why not just grab the wheel and actually drive.
    Also I think insurance rate might go up cause its like adding a feature to your plan where the insurance will cover a tablet driving your car incase of an accident cause if not then most likely there response will be.. Well why did you let a tablet drive your car in the first place we don't cover tablet driven cars.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDean View Post
    Has also been done by Google Self-Driving Car Test: Steve Mahan - YouTube

Will this be the next Google vs Apple ?
    Why do you guys keep thinking this is apple or google at all. I mean sure that's on apple technology and yours was developed by google, but the entirety of this is car companies, the government, and huge navigation systems. The only reason apple even comes up with this crap is cause apples logo works on the less informed like some of you., the government will play the biggest role in allowing computer driven cars, because until the tech is so reliable they would only barely consider it as a bike lane kind of deal.