+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iFixit's Official Tablet Repairability List - iPad Doesn't Score Too Well

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iFixit's Official Tablet Repairability List - iPad Doesn't Score Too Well

The amazing disassembling team at iFixit has put together a handy dandy tablet repairability list. The list takes note all of the tablets that the iFixit team has disassembled along with their repairability scores. So the question remains – how did Apple’s tablet (the iPad) fare against the competition in ease of repairability?

According to the list, not so well. Apple’s first generation iPad did alright, receiving a 6 out of 10 for the repairability rating; however, all of Apple’s later-generation tablets including the iPad 2 and newer did quite poorly with a 2 out of 10 repairability rating. iFixit explains how they rated devices below:

Quote Originally Posted by iFixit
    A device with a perfect score will be relatively inexpensive to repair because it is easy to disassemble and has a service manual available. Points are docked based on the difficulty of opening the device, the types of fasteners found inside, and the complexity involved in replacing major components. Points are awarded for upgradability, use of non-proprietary tools for servicing, and component modularity.

The two largest complaints from iFixit about the iPad 3 and newer are that there is an excessive amount of adhesive keeping everything in place and there is a high chance of cracking the display during the disassembly. The iPad 2 shares the high chance of cracking the glass during disassembly; however, there doesn’t appear to be an adhesive complaint, only that the battery is difficult to remove. On a more positive note, the iPad 2 and newer all share the convenience of an easy-to-replace display.

The many newer iPads would be at the very bottom of the iFixit repairability list, if it weren’t for that grumpy little Microsoft Surface that iFixit had such a hard time disassembling. iFixit gave the Microsoft Surface a 1 out of 10 for repairability because there is a ton of adhesive everywhere and there is a huge risk of shearing the display cables when you open the device.

At the top of the list is the Dell XPS 10, which received a 9 out of 10 in repairability, because the tablet is easy to open, it's easy to remove the battery, and there are color-coded screws and labeled wires so you know where everything goes after you've disassembled the device. Just under the Dell XPS 10 is the Kindle Fire, which received an 8 out of 10 in repairability for its easy-to-open design, lack of proprietary fasteners, and standard Phillips screws.

While it would appear that Apple’s hardware is getting tougher to repair with each new release, that doesn’t seem to matter much for the end user since they can just take their problematic device to a Genius Bar and get it replaced (assuming the warranty is still good). But kudos to iFixit for making the interesting list!

Sources: iFixit via MacRumors

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

wiipro (02-28-2013)

Thanks

Like jail breaking, they want Apple to be in charge of the devices.

You can't jb like that!
    So well patch it in iOS 6.1.3!

We see you guys showing interest in opening the devices up.
    WE WILL FUSE EVERYTHING TOGETHER AND HIDE SMALL SCREWS!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is so stupid, once again the writers of this missed the obvious, who the heck needs to get it repaired. They rarely need repairing unless you dropped it on cement. I finally broke one of my iPads, dropped it against the corner of a metal table at the airport. I own 3 iPads, various models....anyways I was smart and had Apple Care on my iPad mini....$49 later I was walking out with a new one and moving on.
    And Dell? Really they have to be repairable, they breakdown all the time, OMG another brainless article....don't write just to write.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    This is so stupid, once again the writers of this missed the obvious, who the heck needs to get it repaired. They rarely need repairing unless you dropped it on cement. I finally broke one of my iPads, dropped it against the corner of a metal table at the airport. I own 3 iPads, various models....anyways I was smart and had Apple Care on my iPad mini....$49 later I was walking out with a new one and moving on.
    And Dell? Really they have to be repairable, they breakdown all the time, OMG another brainless article....don't write just to write.
    I'm so glad to hear that you've had impeccable luck with all your iPads not having any defects, inside or outside of the warranty. I'm also very glad to hear that your only incident needing repair assistance cost you a total of about $150, when replacing that device's front panel yourself would probably cost about half that, give or take. Some people just don't have that kind of good fortune, though.

Now I understand if you don't want to deal with the hassle of replacing an iPad mini front panel yourself--it is by no means an easy procedure. But for those of us with the mechanical chops (and crazy desire), stuff happens and there's no reason not to save some money and do it ourselves.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

This is so stupid, once again the writers of this missed the obvious, who the heck needs to get it repaired. They rarely need repairing unless you dropped it on cement.
    You begin by saying "who needs to get it repaired" and then continue by saying, "they rarely need repairing." So obviously, the people that need to get it repaired would be those few rare instances that actually need repairing .
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 02-28-2013 at 10:12 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

My primary income comes from repairing broken apple products. They break, a lot.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 613 Posts

the low repairability is so Appl£ can rape your wallet

Edit: businesses don't care about consumers they just want mon£y, why should Appl£ be any
    different

Edit2: is Appl£ car£ worth it?
    Last edited by dsg; 03-01-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    the low repairability is so Appl£ can rape the **** out of your wallet

Edit: businesses don't give a **** about consumers they just want mon£y, why should Appl£ be any
    different

Edit2: is Apple£ car£ worth it?
    Do you not have an "e" on your keyboard?

It's worth it if u r clumsy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have fixed over 20 ipad digitizers its not that hard with basic tech knowledge and is very cost effective 30 bucks and an hour if its your first time there is alot of glue tho

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 613 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vinaygoel2000 View Post
    Do you not have an "e" on your keyboard?

It's worth it if u r clumsy.
    do you not know how to spell 'you're'?

yes I do have £'s, sorry e's. I just type it like that because of the way some people write micro$oft, I just applied the same idea to Appl£ name, because their just as guilty for taking you for all they can get, like Micro$oft

sorry about my rant and the bad language.
    Last edited by dsg; 03-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    privacy isn't about having something to hide

look here all grammar police, indulge me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

vinaygoel2000 (03-02-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    do you not know how to spell 'you're'?

yes I do have £'s, sorry e's. I just type it like that because of the way some people write micro$oft, I just applied the same idea to Appl£ name, because their just as guilty for taking you for all they can get, like Micro$oft

sorry about my rant and the bad language.
    Ouch.
    Last edited by iRevival; 03-02-2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!