+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is This The iPad mini 2 with Retina Display?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
If these purportedly leaked images are indeed accurate, then you are looking at the second generation iPad mini with Retina display. Suspect as always, these pics come to us courtesy
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Is This The iPad mini 2 with Retina Display?

If these purportedly leaked images are indeed accurate, then you are looking at the second generation iPad mini with Retina display.

Suspect as always, these pics come to us courtesy of a Chinese Internet forum. As you might have expected, these are not formally sanctioned images for release by Apple or its manufacturing partners in the far east.

Having first appeared on Weiphone, we are told that the pics showcase the rear casing of the iPad mini 2.

The images show a device with a similar design as the current iPad Mini, but a little thicker, presumably to make room for a larger battery to power a high-resolution Retina display.

While it seems dubious that Apple would actually strive to make the iPad mini 2 thicker for the sake of accommodating the improved display, stranger things have happened.

As we get closer to the anticipated springtime launch window for the next-generation iPad mini, there's a good chance that more leaked product images will find their way to our retinas, regardless of how legitimate they may or may not actually be.

Source: BI
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 02-21-2013 at 08:09 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

iPad mini 2*

Thanks

Might just want to call it the 'new iPad mini'
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Really! Are they still going to stick with the retina display, when all other companies already surpassed the retina display.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Delshaf View Post
    Really! Are they still going to stick with the retina display, when all other companies already surpassed the retina display.
    Here's the thing, the term "Retina display" means that pixels are not discernible from a normal viewing distance, so even though company's have surpassed, it won't be noticeable as the eye cannot see anything past that.

I don't think this is the iPad mini 2. It looks too much like the original, my guess, someone took off the back, and substituted a blue apple loo and lettering. Just like I have a transparent back for my iPhone 4S.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fanboyfanboy For This Useful Post:

Mrteacup (02-21-2013)

Thanks

if it's as thick as it looks in that first picture, I'm out. I want retina on the mini -- with retina and 4G that might be my perfect mobile device -- but not if it's as thick and heavy as a dictionary.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

I doubt Apple would go thick on the new iPad Mini. They're all about getting thinner and lighter most of the time, so I really think the images are fake. The pictures make it look thicker than iPad 3 & 4 which doesn't make sense since both of them have retina displays but are both really thin.

*T*
    Thanks

Stranger things have happened than Apple making a thicker product?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

On top of what fanboy said, the pixel density will get greater because its a smaller screen.

I'm glad you acknowledged this was really suspicious from a Chinese forum. We all know it's fake there's 0% chance it's real but you still made an article about it..

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Obvious Chinese fake

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by k1653d View Post
    Obvious Chinese fake
    I agree. Either that or it's a prototype from way back when. Apple has proven it can make razor-thin tablets - the tablet in these photos is like 100% fatter than the current iPad Mini.

Thanks

I'm confused, how can we tell if it's a retina display iPad mini 2 when the picture only shows the iPad's back cover?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwork View Post
    I'm confused, how can we tell if it's a retina display iPad mini 2 when the picture only shows the iPad's back cover?
    Well now I'm confused...How can WE tell if you read the article and its comments when the question you are asking is so very clearly answered in both?

Now I'm more confused...If you don't know how to read, how did you write a comment?

And now even more confused! If you don't know how to read and/or were to lazy to read a tiny short article, how did you have the energy to find someone to type up a comment for u?
    El Zurdo

Thanks

No way this is real it looks horrible.

Thanks

Looks like a cover of some sort

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

As others have mentioned, "retina" defines the minimum DPI, not the maximum, but I only know of phones with higher DPIs anyway. Now, I'll ask you: what *tablets* over 7" have a higher-than-retina DPI?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The Nexus 10 has a 300 ppi to the ipads 264 not sure about any others. also the 15" MB pro w/retina display i believe has a 220 ppi. so by apples standard anything with 220ppi or higher is retina. Their are about 10 tablets with a higher ppi then 220.
    Last edited by cmay227; 02-22-2013 at 09:14 AM.