+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Next-Gen iPad mini Display Technology Rumored to be in Development by AU Optronics

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
A report from DigiTimes claims that iPad mini display supplier AU Optronics has started development of screen technology to be used in the next-generation of Apple’s mid-sized tablet. The Taiwanese
    Thanks

Default Next-Gen iPad mini Display Technology Rumored to be in Development by AU Optronics

A report from DigiTimes claims that iPad mini display supplier AU Optronics has started development of screen technology to be used in the next-generation of Apple’s mid-sized tablet. The Taiwanese company is supposedly “working on” panels for an expected follow-up to the 7.9-inch tablet.

Not much is known of the supposed next-generation technology, though AU is supplying Apple with AH-VA wide-angle panels for the iPad mini, compared to the IPS components from LG. Earlier in the month, supply chain sources claimed AU was already in the pilot production stage for manufacturing Retina panels bound for the second-generation device.

Many analysts expect the next iPad mini iteration to include a Retina display as Apple continues to deploy the high-resolution screens across its various production lines. The main concern that arises is pricing as industry watchers estimate a Retina version could raise the bill of materials by more than 30%. Traditionally, when a new generation Apple product is launched, it retains he same price as its predecessor.

When it comes to the current iPad mini, AU has reportedly overcome the yield issues to reach one million panel shipments, easing the supply bottleneck that affected sales of the tablet since launch. The manufacturer is said to have managed higher yields as of the first quarter, with the rates expected to continue throughout the year. Apple in turn has supposedly finally caught up with high demand for its 7.9-inch tablet, as the product showed “In Stock” availability on the company’s online storefront.

Source: DigiTimes

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yawn.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

A high resolution wide-angle screen sounds good to me. I am planning on replacing my 1st gen iPad with the next version of the mini.