+ Reply
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Report: Microsoft Losing a Fortune on Office Holdout for iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Posts
    3,424
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

    Default Report: Microsoft Losing a Fortune on Office Holdout for iPad


    Microsoft is reportedly losing a large fortune for every year that passes without a formal agreement to bring the full Office suite to Apple's iPad.

    Microsoft has understandably given a massive competitive advantage to its Surface tablet by logically making the entire Office productivity suite compatible with the new product line. But it's difficult to find an industry analyst who thinks that Microsoft will gain any significant tablet market share at Apple's expense on the basis of this fact alone.

    Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Holt is among those who believe Microsoft is missing out on a major payday.

    Holt figures that if Microsoft were to release Office for iOS, pricing it at $60, it could potentially sell it to roughly 30 percent of iPad users. Extend that to an installed base of 200 million iPads in 2014, and Holt concludes that Microsoft would generate about $2.5 billion in revenue per year on Office for iPad — less Apple’s App Store commission.
    As John Paczkowski of All Things D reported Friday, Microsoft certainly understands that it's missing out on a huge revenue opportunity. “And it’s more likely than not that the company is very carefully weighing tradeoffs here,” Paczkowski says, “and trying to determine if keeping Office off iOS is a sufficient incentive for enterprise to use Surface and other Windows tablets.”

    In recent months, we've heard no shortage of rumors about Office either coming or not coming to the iPad. All we know for certain is that talks have taken place between Microsoft and Apple. But it doesn't look like the proposed revenue split was acceptable to Microsoft. The only question now is how much longer can Microsoft truly afford to not make Office available for iPad?

    Source: All Things D

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    I smell law suit lmao

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bklyn NY !!
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 62 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Eonhpi View Post
    I smell law suit lmao
    ?? why, and from who?

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jOnGarrett For This Useful Post:

    Airwaves182 (02-16-2013), BhadKarma (02-16-2013), Mrteacup (02-16-2013)

  5. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    30% take up at $60 a pop? What utter shite.

  6. #5
    iPhoneaholic bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    458
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 44 Times in 33 Posts

    30% of users spending $60? Doubt it.
    Even if I were to spend that, I'd get it on my other devices with the same apple id so there goes at least half that profit.
    Microsoft has already missed the bus on this one too. Google docs is a great (free) compatible alternative.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwraw8482 For This Useful Post:

    HovikGas (02-16-2013)

  8. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    54
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts

    60 bucks for the "app" I doubt that. Got to love analysts always looking for the money.

  9. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    Think about it. Why is there no Office on IOS? The same reason there is no Pages, Numbers and Keynote on Windows 8/RT.

    Its the competition so it would be really stupid for Microsoft to make an Office for IOS. Im really surprised to see Office on any Apple computer.

  10. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    106
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts

    There's no way they will have a 30% adoption rate on a $60 app, even if it's Microsoft Office. I'm not buying it. My iPad is more of a consumption device. I have no interest in producing documents and spreadsheets on the iPad. That's what a laptop and desktop are for.

  11. #9
    My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    998
    Thanks
    56
    Thanked 159 Times in 118 Posts

    I switched from office a couple years back. I'm tired of how much the upgrade cost is for minimal benefit. I don't like all the bloated updates throughout the year. I really only need Word which Pages does just fine replacing.

  12. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    519
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    While many users wouldn't buy it, think of all the companies that gives their employees iPads. Even schools, this year all my teachers got a 3rd gen IPad , and I'm sure they would love office for it. So while many standard users won't pay the price, think how many companies will.

  13. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    277
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts

    What's the split of corporate to private users on iPad? Can't be more than 80/20. Therefore, it would require 100% of corporate users to adopt and at lease 10% private users. No way.

    And I suspect the 80/20 split is massively wrong. Suspect nearer 95/5.

  14. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,086
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    Think about it. Why is there no Office on IOS? The same reason there is no Pages, Numbers and Keynote on Windows 8/RT.

    Its the competition so it would be really stupid for Microsoft to make an Office for IOS. Im really surprised to see Office on any Apple computer.
    That's not true, especially with the whole why is there no iWork on windows. There is no possible way Microsoft can hold back on apple selling iWork on windows desktop. First because its open source and second because that's rigging the competition.

    Microsoft office isn't on iOS because of Microsoft. First Apple can't deny it for being competition. Second apple would probably be making more money off their office software then they make on iWork. Third just look at the fact apple allows other music services, maps services, mail services, etc. they need to keep the consumer happy, honestly who would stay with apple if they (even if it was legal) blocked all the competing maps applications? They would immediately lose 10-30% of veteran and new users. A lot would just deal with the app or use a web-based app but they would eventually go back to allowing other competition.

  15. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    30% of users spending $60? Doubt it.
    Even if I were to spend that, I'd get it on my other devices with the same apple id so there goes at least half that profit.
    Microsoft has already missed the bus on this one too. Google docs is a great (free) compatible alternative.
    A lot of iPads are in business' just because you as a user don't see the benefit business users would and wouldn't worry about a $60 price tag. I think office on iPad would be a great thing for both apple and Microsoft.

  16. #14
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by baskie View Post
    30% take up at $60 a pop? What utter shite.
    I believe the 30% he's referring to is Apples take on every AppStore sale. Though I'm not sure why that's considered unfair by some. Apple has created the ecosystem for these apps to sell. Without them, this whole thing wouldn't exist. Plus, Apple eats the cost for the credit card transaction. The lions share of apps cost $.99 so Apples 30% doesn't add up to much once you take the credit card fees out.

  17. #15
    What's Jailbreak? MikesPCNet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    ?? why, and from who?
    Apple!! Because they sue everybody!! :-)

  18. #16
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    62
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 12 Times in 7 Posts

    I work for a mac centric department for a major company and unfortunately, Apple does not have any way for corporate to buy Volume licenses for apps in the app store in both iOS and OSX. I believe this is the major factor why Microsoft will be hesitant on Office for Mac. Microsoft had always catered to businesses to use their office suite, that is where the majority of the Office line income comes from. Without the ability to buy VL, I doubt Microsoft will cater to iOS.
    Last edited by djrbx; 02-16-2013 at 05:02 PM.

  19. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Burlington, MA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I use QuickOffice PRO for $16
    It has most of the usual office features with a nice GUI. There's no way I'd spend $60 on MS Office.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts