+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft's 64 GB Surface Pro to Ship with Roughly 23 GB of Usable Space

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft's 64 GB Surface Pro to Ship with Roughly 23 GB of Usable Space

Microsoft is gearing up to release its full-featured Windows 8 tablet complete with a host of built-in apps, the Surface Pro, but the operating system and software is said to take up as much as 64% of the device’s onboard storage depending on the model. According to a Microsoft spokesman, the pre-installed apps and a recovery partition leaves users with a meager 36% to 65% of space to work with.

The 64 GB Surface Pro model will have 41 GB of installed assets, leaving users with roughly 23 GB of disk space. The more expensive 128 GB version will have 83 GB left after a 45 GB partition is applied. Microsoft for its part does warn users of the issue on the Surface webpage, saying that, “System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage.”

According to Microsoft, users are given the option to create a backup bootable USB and delete the recovery partition to free up space. In addition, the device boasts USB 3.0 ports and a microSDXC slot for expanding storage with removable media.

The ARM-based Surface RT models were introduced last October and the stripped down operating system ended up eating up half of the devices’ addressable storage, sparking concerns over how much space would be inquired for a full-fledged Windows 8 install. Apple’s iOS on the other hand leaves over 85% of the advertised storage available out of the box, depending on the device and OS version.

It’s a bit coincidental to see Microsoft’s statement on the issue come around the same time Apple announces a new 128 GB iteration of the fourth-generation iPad which is scheduled to hit store shelves on February 5, just four days before the Surface Pro.

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Doesn't surprise me. Windows pc's seem to need at least 4gb of ram just to run, more if u want to actually do anything.
    Both my macs only have 4gb ram and run great! And with all my stuff on my 32gb iPhone, I still have 12gb remaining, not as a starting point.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

article is refering to storage space. Not usable ram..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's dumb

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. Windows pc's seem to need at least 4gb of ram just to run, more if u want to actually do anything.
    Both my macs only have 4gb ram and run great! And with all my stuff on my 32gb iPhone, I still have 12gb remaining, not as a starting point.
    Sorry to disappoint but a well tuned W7 PC will use about 1Gb of RAM to run. Anyhow 23Gb for user use is very little.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Seriously! Microsoft! Wtf i thought that ms actually made good products! 23GB is NOTHING!!

Thanks

Eeeew This is what i expect from Microsoft I mean, My Win7 Ultimate has 30"GB Hard drive but when restored, it has 50-100
    Sad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

I have more then 23GB worth of songs/movies/apps etc just in my iTunes library... This is pathetic.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not even that, the fact that you are paying for 64gb and only getting 23gb hahaha and than people have the guts to complaint about Apple. Apple is the shyt!!!

Thanks

Microsoft will never be good
    It only earning due to the fact that people are habitual to using it !!
    What a person thinks is that it is better to use old rusty crashing software instead of LEARNING new easy to use
    Smart and beautiful software
    Thank god people at mmi are not such kinds

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by onyxsolutions View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but a well tuned W7 PC will use about 1Gb of RAM to run. Anyhow 23Gb for user use is very little.
    I disagree with that statement that you could run windows 7 will use 1gb of ram and do anything. Unless you strip down everything, don’t open any programs and never use your machine past the login screen I don’t see how the machine would be useable and efficient.

By the way, did anyone see the desktop version of windows 8 is like 35gigs? I find this insane. Hard drives shouldn’t have to hold more system files. Bigger hard drives were made to fit more media! Microsoft needs to fix their file sizes on their operating systems.

Banned
    Thanks

So the 64GB is actually a 23GB. That sucks bigtime.
    So you will virtually be forced to get the 128GB just so you have some space.
    I might give it a miss and just get an ASUS or another tablet/laptop as they sound a lot better.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally! Something from M$ that makes the Zune look good.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 96aman96 View Post
    Microsoft will never be good
    It only earning due to the fact that people are habitual to using it !!
    What a person thinks is that it is better to use old rusty crashing software instead of LEARNING new easy to use
    Smart and beautiful software
    Thank god people at mmi are not such kinds
    It's all taste my friend. Apple good for some, and not others. Windows good for some, and not others. Some people like to do a bit more with their computers other than simply look at how beautiful it is, and have a little extra mula in their pockets too. I mean really i love the iMac but I don't need it to be less than an inch thick.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    So the 64GB is actually a 23GB. That sucks bigtime.
    So you will virtually be forced to get the 128GB just so you have some space.
    I might give it a miss and just get an ASUS or another tablet/laptop as they sound a lot better.
    No you will not be virtually forced to do anything. The surface has 3usb ports and an SD slot. You can have nearly infinite amount of memory if you wanted. I use a 1tb external hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I disagree with that statement that you could run windows 7 will use 1gb of ram and do anything. Unless you strip down everything, don’t open any programs and never use your machine past the login screen I don’t see how the machine would be useable and efficient.

By the way, did anyone see the desktop version of windows 8 is like 35gigs? I find this insane. Hard drives shouldn’t have to hold more system files. Bigger hard drives were made to fit more media! Microsoft needs to fix their file sizes on their operating systems.
    You disagree? Buy a w7 laptop for 200 bucks and see. I've had mine since Black Friday of 07. It has never crashed on me once and has helped me earn my bachelors degree. I'm buying a new laptop soon and it won't be w8, it will be w7 again.
    Last edited by Colby21; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,989 Times in 932 Posts

Remember that you can alway backup the recovery partition to bootable USB and then delete the recovery partition off the Surface Tablet to free up space. Remember that most Windows Laptops have a recovery partitions that take up valuable storage space, so this isn't really anything new with the Windows based Tablets. Once you delete the recovery partition, you should be back up to around 50 gigs storage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This really doesn't matter since it has a micro SD slot. You could get 64 more gigs of storage rather cheaply.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Thanks

Why dont they advertise as 23GB and 83GB.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I have more then 23GB worth of songs/movies/apps etc just in my iTunes library... This is pathetic.
    Same, I have atleast 10k songs, and more than 20 movies, my apps are probably only ten gigs though. Honestly what did people expect its a tablet running 100% pc software. Its just extremely misleading that they say its 64gb when you can only use a third of that. I can't even put my home iphone videos on this crap, how is it an hd tablet when it hardly has enough gbs to hold 3 hd videos!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Remember that you can alway backup the recovery partition to bootable USB and then delete the recovery partition off the Surface Tablet to free up space. Remember that most Windows Laptops have a recovery partitions that take up valuable storage space, so this isn't really anything new with the Windows based Tablets. Once you delete the recovery partition, you should be back up to around 50 gigs storage.
    Once the recovery partition is gone you have 38-42GB I believe, but you need a 32 GB pendrive or sd card to put it on and iirc if you lose that then you have to send it back to microsoft it something goes wrong so they can restore it.