+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Microsoft's 64 GB Surface Pro to Ship with Roughly 23 GB of Usable Space

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,940
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 123 Times in 108 Posts

    Default Microsoft's 64 GB Surface Pro to Ship with Roughly 23 GB of Usable Space


    Microsoft is gearing up to release its full-featured Windows 8 tablet complete with a host of built-in apps, the Surface Pro, but the operating system and software is said to take up as much as 64% of the device’s onboard storage depending on the model. According to a Microsoft spokesman, the pre-installed apps and a recovery partition leaves users with a meager 36% to 65% of space to work with.

    The 64 GB Surface Pro model will have 41 GB of installed assets, leaving users with roughly 23 GB of disk space. The more expensive 128 GB version will have 83 GB left after a 45 GB partition is applied. Microsoft for its part does warn users of the issue on the Surface webpage, saying that, “System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage.”

    According to Microsoft, users are given the option to create a backup bootable USB and delete the recovery partition to free up space. In addition, the device boasts USB 3.0 ports and a microSDXC slot for expanding storage with removable media.

    The ARM-based Surface RT models were introduced last October and the stripped down operating system ended up eating up half of the devices’ addressable storage, sparking concerns over how much space would be inquired for a full-fledged Windows 8 install. Apple’s iOS on the other hand leaves over 85% of the advertised storage available out of the box, depending on the device and OS version.

    It’s a bit coincidental to see Microsoft’s statement on the issue come around the same time Apple announces a new 128 GB iteration of the fourth-generation iPad which is scheduled to hit store shelves on February 5, just four days before the Surface Pro.

    Source: The Verge

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    508
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 61 Times in 42 Posts

    Doesn't surprise me. Windows pc's seem to need at least 4gb of ram just to run, more if u want to actually do anything.
    Both my macs only have 4gb ram and run great! And with all my stuff on my 32gb iPhone, I still have 12gb remaining, not as a starting point.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    157
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    article is refering to storage space. Not usable ram..

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    That's dumb

  5. #5
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. Windows pc's seem to need at least 4gb of ram just to run, more if u want to actually do anything.
    Both my macs only have 4gb ram and run great! And with all my stuff on my 32gb iPhone, I still have 12gb remaining, not as a starting point.
    Sorry to disappoint but a well tuned W7 PC will use about 1Gb of RAM to run. Anyhow 23Gb for user use is very little.

  6. #6
    iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts

    Seriously! Microsoft! Wtf i thought that ms actually made good products! 23GB is NOTHING!!

  7. #7
    huh? wiipro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Posts
    180
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Eeeew This is what i expect from Microsoft I mean, My Win7 Ultimate has 30"GB Hard drive but when restored, it has 50-100
    Sad.

  8. #8
    My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    520
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 72 Times in 52 Posts

    I have more then 23GB worth of songs/movies/apps etc just in my iTunes library... This is pathetic.

  9. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Not even that, the fact that you are paying for 64gb and only getting 23gb hahaha and than people have the guts to complaint about Apple. Apple is the shyt!!!

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak? 96aman96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Microsoft will never be good
    It only earning due to the fact that people are habitual to using it !!
    What a person thinks is that it is better to use old rusty crashing software instead of LEARNING new easy to use
    Smart and beautiful software
    Thank god people at mmi are not such kinds

  11. #11
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    648
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 91 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by onyxsolutions View Post
    Sorry to disappoint but a well tuned W7 PC will use about 1Gb of RAM to run. Anyhow 23Gb for user use is very little.
    I disagree with that statement that you could run windows 7 will use 1gb of ram and do anything. Unless you strip down everything, don’t open any programs and never use your machine past the login screen I don’t see how the machine would be useable and efficient.

    By the way, did anyone see the desktop version of windows 8 is like 35gigs? I find this insane. Hard drives shouldn’t have to hold more system files. Bigger hard drives were made to fit more media! Microsoft needs to fix their file sizes on their operating systems.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts

    So the 64GB is actually a 23GB. That sucks bigtime.
    So you will virtually be forced to get the 128GB just so you have some space.
    I might give it a miss and just get an ASUS or another tablet/laptop as they sound a lot better.

  13. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Finally! Something from M$ that makes the Zune look good.

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 96aman96 View Post
    Microsoft will never be good
    It only earning due to the fact that people are habitual to using it !!
    What a person thinks is that it is better to use old rusty crashing software instead of LEARNING new easy to use
    Smart and beautiful software
    Thank god people at mmi are not such kinds
    It's all taste my friend. Apple good for some, and not others. Windows good for some, and not others. Some people like to do a bit more with their computers other than simply look at how beautiful it is, and have a little extra mula in their pockets too. I mean really i love the iMac but I don't need it to be less than an inch thick.

  15. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    247
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by b1997469 View Post
    So the 64GB is actually a 23GB. That sucks bigtime.
    So you will virtually be forced to get the 128GB just so you have some space.
    I might give it a miss and just get an ASUS or another tablet/laptop as they sound a lot better.
    No you will not be virtually forced to do anything. The surface has 3usb ports and an SD slot. You can have nearly infinite amount of memory if you wanted. I use a 1tb external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    I disagree with that statement that you could run windows 7 will use 1gb of ram and do anything. Unless you strip down everything, don’t open any programs and never use your machine past the login screen I don’t see how the machine would be useable and efficient.

    By the way, did anyone see the desktop version of windows 8 is like 35gigs? I find this insane. Hard drives shouldn’t have to hold more system files. Bigger hard drives were made to fit more media! Microsoft needs to fix their file sizes on their operating systems.
    You disagree? Buy a w7 laptop for 200 bucks and see. I've had mine since Black Friday of 07. It has never crashed on me once and has helped me earn my bachelors degree. I'm buying a new laptop soon and it won't be w8, it will be w7 again.
    Last edited by Colby21; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 AM.

  16. #16
    Man of iWidgets The.Drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    999
    Thanks
    5,107
    Thanked 6,989 Times in 932 Posts

    Remember that you can alway backup the recovery partition to bootable USB and then delete the recovery partition off the Surface Tablet to free up space. Remember that most Windows Laptops have a recovery partitions that take up valuable storage space, so this isn't really anything new with the Windows based Tablets. Once you delete the recovery partition, you should be back up to around 50 gigs storage.

  17. #17
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    This really doesn't matter since it has a micro SD slot. You could get 64 more gigs of storage rather cheaply.

  18. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me vinaygoel2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    396
    Thanked 76 Times in 61 Posts

    Why dont they advertise as 23GB and 83GB.

  19. #19
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,088
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 35 Times in 29 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    I have more then 23GB worth of songs/movies/apps etc just in my iTunes library... This is pathetic.
    Same, I have atleast 10k songs, and more than 20 movies, my apps are probably only ten gigs though. Honestly what did people expect its a tablet running 100% pc software. Its just extremely misleading that they say its 64gb when you can only use a third of that. I can't even put my home iphone videos on this crap, how is it an hd tablet when it hardly has enough gbs to hold 3 hd videos!

  20. #20
    iPhoneaholic spazturtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    321
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by The.Drifter View Post
    Remember that you can alway backup the recovery partition to bootable USB and then delete the recovery partition off the Surface Tablet to free up space. Remember that most Windows Laptops have a recovery partitions that take up valuable storage space, so this isn't really anything new with the Windows based Tablets. Once you delete the recovery partition, you should be back up to around 50 gigs storage.
    Once the recovery partition is gone you have 38-42GB I believe, but you need a 32 GB pendrive or sd card to put it on and iirc if you lose that then you have to send it back to microsoft it something goes wrong so they can restore it.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts