Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
iPad Newsforums, a part of the
01-30-2013, 04:58 AM #1
Microsoft's 64 GB Surface Pro to Ship with Roughly 23 GB of Usable Space
Microsoft is gearing up to release its full-featured Windows 8 tablet complete with a host of built-in apps, the Surface Pro, but the operating system and software is said to take up as much as 64% of the device’s onboard storage depending on the model. According to a Microsoft spokesman, the pre-installed apps and a recovery partition leaves users with a meager 36% to 65% of space to work with.
The 64 GB Surface Pro model will have 41 GB of installed assets, leaving users with roughly 23 GB of disk space. The more expensive 128 GB version will have 83 GB left after a 45 GB partition is applied. Microsoft for its part does warn users of the issue on the Surface webpage, saying that, “System software uses significant storage space. Available storage is subject to change based on system software updates and apps usage.”
According to Microsoft, users are given the option to create a backup bootable USB and delete the recovery partition to free up space. In addition, the device boasts USB 3.0 ports and a microSDXC slot for expanding storage with removable media.
The ARM-based Surface RT models were introduced last October and the stripped down operating system ended up eating up half of the devices’ addressable storage, sparking concerns over how much space would be inquired for a full-fledged Windows 8 install. Apple’s iOS on the other hand leaves over 85% of the advertised storage available out of the box, depending on the device and OS version.
It’s a bit coincidental to see Microsoft’s statement on the issue come around the same time Apple announces a new 128 GB iteration of the fourth-generation iPad which is scheduled to hit store shelves on February 5, just four days before the Surface Pro.
Source: The Verge
01-30-2013, 05:03 AM #2
Doesn't surprise me. Windows pc's seem to need at least 4gb of ram just to run, more if u want to actually do anything.
Both my macs only have 4gb ram and run great! And with all my stuff on my 32gb iPhone, I still have 12gb remaining, not as a starting point.
01-30-2013, 05:16 AM #3
article is refering to storage space. Not usable ram..
01-30-2013, 05:21 AM #4
01-30-2013, 05:42 AM #5
01-30-2013, 07:16 AM #6
Seriously! Microsoft! Wtf i thought that ms actually made good products! 23GB is NOTHING!!
01-30-2013, 07:19 AM #7
Eeeew This is what i expect from Microsoft I mean, My Win7 Ultimate has 30"GB Hard drive but when restored, it has 50-100
01-30-2013, 07:30 AM #8
I have more then 23GB worth of songs/movies/apps etc just in my iTunes library... This is pathetic.
01-30-2013, 07:45 AM #9
Not even that, the fact that you are paying for 64gb and only getting 23gb hahaha and than people have the guts to complaint about Apple. Apple is the shyt!!!
01-30-2013, 08:00 AM #10
Microsoft will never be good
It only earning due to the fact that people are habitual to using it !!
What a person thinks is that it is better to use old rusty crashing software instead of LEARNING new easy to use
Smart and beautiful software
Thank god people at mmi are not such kinds
01-30-2013, 08:57 AM #11
By the way, did anyone see the desktop version of windows 8 is like 35gigs? I find this insane. Hard drives shouldn’t have to hold more system files. Bigger hard drives were made to fit more media! Microsoft needs to fix their file sizes on their operating systems.
01-30-2013, 08:59 AM #12
So the 64GB is actually a 23GB. That sucks bigtime.
So you will virtually be forced to get the 128GB just so you have some space.
I might give it a miss and just get an ASUS or another tablet/laptop as they sound a lot better.
01-30-2013, 09:03 AM #13
Finally! Something from M$ that makes the Zune look good.
01-30-2013, 09:50 AM #14
01-30-2013, 10:05 AM #15
Last edited by Colby21; 01-30-2013 at 10:07 AM.
01-30-2013, 10:19 AM #16
Remember that you can alway backup the recovery partition to bootable USB and then delete the recovery partition off the Surface Tablet to free up space. Remember that most Windows Laptops have a recovery partitions that take up valuable storage space, so this isn't really anything new with the Windows based Tablets. Once you delete the recovery partition, you should be back up to around 50 gigs storage.
01-30-2013, 10:29 AM #17
This really doesn't matter since it has a micro SD slot. You could get 64 more gigs of storage rather cheaply.
01-30-2013, 10:32 AM #18
Why dont they advertise as 23GB and 83GB.
01-30-2013, 10:33 AM #19
01-30-2013, 10:43 AM #20