+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Begin Selling a 128 GB Fourth-Gen iPad Starting Next Week

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple to Begin Selling a 128 GB Fourth-Gen iPad Starting Next Week

Apple recently announced that it has launched a new 128 GB model of the fourth-generation iPad with Retina display, doubling the previous maximum capacity offered. The 128 GB version of the fourth-generation iPad will be available starting Tuesday, February 5 in black or white. The suggested retail price of the Wi-Fi only model is $799, while the cellular-capable model will sell for $929.

As a result of the new offering, Apple’s 9.7-inch iPad lineup will now extend to four different capacities, starting at 16 GB for the entry level, moving on to the 32 GB, than the 64 GB model and last but not least, the new 128 GB offering. The smaller iPad mini will still top off with a 64 GB model.

The announcement of the new iPad model comes just a few days after it was discovered in the newly released iOS 6.1 software update that Apple had included references to a new iOS device with a storage capacity of 128 GB. Previously, the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad lineups all maxed out at 64 GBs. According to Phillip Schiller, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing:

With more than 120 million iPads sold, it’s clear that customers around the world love their iPads, and everyday they are finding more great reasons to work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs. With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs.
    In announcing the new 128 GB iPad, Apple boasted that virtually all of the Fortune 500 and over 85% of the Global 500 currently deploy or test the iPad. Companies tend to use large amounts of data including 3D CAD files, X-rays, film edits, music tracks, project blueprints, training videos, and service manuals. This is one of the main reasons why the Cupertino California company sought out to offer a larger capacity iPad. It should be noted that aside from higher storage capacity, the new 128 GB iPad with Retina display is unchanged from the previously released fourth-generation models. It will be including the Apple-designed A6X processor, a 9.7-inch Retina display, and forward facing FaceTime HD Camera.

Will any of you be picking up the 128 GB iPad?

Source: Apple

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

I'd like to see a 128gb iPhone next refresh too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Thousand dollars for an iPad. No Ty. You can by a very, very nice computer with that kind of money.

iPhone? More like MyPhone WithinTemptationFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm maybe. I have a ton of content that doesn't fit on my 64 gb iPad

Green Apple
    Thanks

incase anyone else was looking for this.

heres a link to the official press release.

Apple - Press Info - Apple Increases iPad with Retina Display to 128GB

Thanks

Holy memory space batman!!

A 128 gb iPhone would be sweet. I love my 64gb, but I can't fit half my music on it. Thank god for iCloud!

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I'd like to see a 128gb iPhone next refresh too.
    Yes that would be sweet wish maybe one day.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Or you can get an 11in macbook Air "starting" at $999. I think I'd prefer a laptop to 128GB iPad. Thats just me though...

Am I old for thinking that?

Green Apple
    Thanks

The cost is really too much. Apple will price itself out if the market. If it was made in USA or UK then the quality of build may warrant the cost but made in Asia. I don't think so!

Thanks

I'll wait for the 5th Gen as it will be a replica of my iPad Mini. Much lighter and sleek than the 4th gen.

Green Apple
    Thanks

nearly a stack for 128GB cellular version.. wow, i just notice ipad mini price went up too from $329 to $399 for 16GB.. smh apple! I would love to see how much if there ever be a iphone 5 128GB would cost

Thanks
    Thanked 14,805 Times in 6,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    nearly a stack for 128GB cellular version.. wow, i just notice ipad mini price went up too from $329 to $399 for 16GB.. smh apple! I would love to see how much if there ever be a iphone 5 128GB would cost
    Ummm, I still see $329: iPad mini - Buy new iPad mini with Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi and Cellular - Apple Store (U.S.)

Thanks

Love the idea but with Cloud services I can change the content of movies, tv shows, etc so no real need for that my b space... But it is COOL to say you've got the biggest!!! At those prices a refresh every year is just too pricy...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Xiavia View Post
    Or you can get an 11in macbook Air "starting" at $999. I think I'd prefer a laptop to 128GB iPad. Thats just me though...

Am I old for thinking that?
    Nope, I feel the same. However iPads may better suite for some people's line of work. A MacBook Air is portable but not as portable as an iPad.

Just depends ya know. Also it's just one more option for people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Yass! I was just about to buy a 64GB (wishing I could get a bigger one), think I'll hold off now! 😃

Thanks

This does beg the question. Why does iCloud not have a greater storage capacity. You'll miss out on backing up a small amount of things with a 64gb and even more with a 128gb iPad meaning it just isn't feasible to use iCloud properly as the maximum amount of cloud storage allowed is 55gb (50gb plus the free 5gb storage)...

Green Apple
    Thanks

This tells me that if there is a 128gb iPhone apple will likely keep the 16gb around & just add the 128gb to the lineup while adding another $100 to the price tag. So it will likely cost $499 with a contract. This is the reason apple doesn't allow sd cards for additional storage. They are effectively limiting your options so If you really need the extra space on your device your only option is to fork over another $100 to apple (most of which, if not all, is profit!)
    mod/edit links removed.

Thanks

$100 for an additional 64GB isn't bad, considering people were happy to pay the $699/$829 for 64GB versions. That's really how you need to look at it. Or, buy 2 16 GB models for $1000 and a total of 32GB. Now $799 for 4x that total capacity looks like a relative bargain. lol Storage capacity and price aside, comparing these to MBAs is pointless; completely different devices for different uses.

Personally, my 64GB is more than I usually need, but for my flights from Japan back to the States (and beyond) it's proven useful. Hell, there were times I even wished I had a bit more storage, so I do believe there's a market for these. This 128GB model may also be one of the key distinguishing features between the full-sized iPad and Mini - assuming the Mini gets its processor upgrade and Retina display this year.

Apple isn't catering to the "I upgrade every year or less" segment - I'm glad. Give it a few months and you'll hear some familiar grumblings: "They need to make a 256GB version."

I would rather have seen Apple drop the 16GB model (leave that for the 2 and Mini) and keep the same price lineup for 32-128GB, the more I think about it. Still, they'll sell. Watch.
    Last edited by ChicagoV; 01-29-2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

1000 dollars for an iPad?
    Don't take me wrong, I love it, but i rather spend that much in a laptop

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Will the upcoming untethered jailbreak work on this newer iPad 4? Or did Apple secure it a little bit more?