+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Confirms Galaxy Note Challenge to iPad mini

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Samsung Confirms Galaxy Note Challenge to iPad mini

Last week we reported that Samsung is planning to challenge Apple's iPad mini with a new smaller-form Galaxy Note. The so-called "Galaxy Note 8.0" is expected to deliver most of the features found on Samsung's GalNote 10.1.

On Monday, Samsung Mobile vice president JK Shin confirmed his company's creation of an iPad mini rival. The 8-inch Samsung tablet will be unveiled with two models - one with WiFi connectivity and another with WiFi + 3G connectivity - possibly as early as next month when Mobile World Congress gets underway in Barcelona.

Samsung's tablet will deliver an 8-inch TFT screen with 1280800-resolution, a 5MP rear camera, a 1.3 front-facing snapper, 2GB RAM, 32GB (or 16GB) for internal storage, and expandable memory through the microSD card slot. It will operate on Jelly Bean 4.2.

Market watchers and industry analysts are reacting favorably to news of Samsung's plans, largely agreeing that the Korean Electronics giant stands an excellent chance of performing well in a market that has generated no shortage of cash with the Kindle Fire HD and iPad mini.

Source: TCD

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

I thought the iPad mini was to challenge the nexus 7 and other smaller tablets? Or am I wrong

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    I thought the iPad mini was to challenge the nexus 7 and other smaller tablets? Or am I wrong
    they're all challenging each other which is exactly ho wit should be. they challenge, we win.

much better than suing don't you think?

Thanks

I'll move over to android once the market store has all the apps I have on iOS.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    they're all challenging each other which is exactly ho wit should be. they challenge, we win.

much better than suing don't you think?
    You don't have one post that isn't about suing.. Pathetic..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Yeah sure you will

Banned
    Thanks

The galaxy always wins and 1 reason why. It can send and receive SMSs and make calls.
    The 3G usage in the iPads are stupid. Its got the ability to send and receive SMSs but you need to jailbreak it to do that.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,061 Times in 4,203 Posts

Downfall especially for me is autocorrect while typing. Love how the iphone does that. Galaxy's well by the time ya read ya txt ya need to go back and correct errors.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Exactly which apps does it not have? If you want the same dev to port over since its some obscure app...good luck. But using the "quality apps" or "need to have my exact apps" excuse its stupid these days.

iPhone Warranty Voider Faresismail's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Exactly which apps does it not have? If you want the same dev to port over since its some obscure app...good luck. But using the "quality apps" or "need to have my exact apps" excuse its stupid these days.
    Fifa 13 i've been waiting for it a long time now...

Thanks

It's not an excuse its a reason, I've owned a galaxy before and loved it but I missed all my apps on iOS, it's mostly games and as stupid as it may be I honestly don't care. I'm not asking no dev to port anything, and trust me there's tons of apps the market store don't have that I have not my fault you use only 2 apps.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Thanks

It's not an excuse its a reason, I've owned a galaxy before and loved it but I missed all my apps on iOS, it's mostly games and as stupid as it may be I honestly don't care. I'm not asking no dev to port anything, and trust me there's tons of apps the market store don't have that I have not my fault you use only 2 apps.
    I was a long time Android user and I'm telling you now Android is total jank compared to iOS. When Android goes wrong you will spend hours trying to figure out why... Battery drains are terrible, no ICloud solution that backs up data in full so it will take you hours to restore in the event of failure. iOS is the only OS out there ATM that ticks all boxes, I would actually rather use WP8 than Android again.... Ooooo no

Banned
    Thanks

so if its games you want (and not apps as most iUsers want) then get an iPod and get an S3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    You don't have one post that isn't about suing.. Pathetic..
    I cant make any posts without some pathetic person wanting to trample my rights to free speech.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What suits him/her is stupid? To have to find a compromise is stupid?

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CCNPJediHacker View Post
    I was a long time Android user and I'm telling you now Android is total jank compared to iOS. When Android goes wrong you will spend hours trying to figure out why... Battery drains are terrible, no ICloud solution that backs up data in full so it will take you hours to restore in the event of failure. iOS is the only OS out there ATM that ticks all boxes, I would actually rather use WP8 than Android again.... Ooooo no
    Your opinion. OPINION

Banned
    Thanks

Wtf? You backup with your google account and dropbox.
    When you restore the system you loose nothing. Ive restored and updated my galaxy tab and never lost a thing. Every time i restore my iPad i loose everything and have to start from scratch again. iTunes backup is crap and takes hours.
    Its actually faster to restore an android phone than it is to restore an iPhone. I did it last week and the iPhone took half a day where the android phone was restored in an hour.

IOS is crap. You NEED to jailbreak it to even come close to Android OS.
    Only when IOS is jailbroken is when it comes user friendly. Android is user friendly from the start and doesn't need to be jailbroken.

IOS will never come close to Android as its so locked up tight.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    Wtf? You backup with your google account and dropbox.
    When you restore the system you loose nothing. Ive restored and updated my galaxy tab and never lost a thing. Every time i restore my iPad i loose everything and have to start from scratch again. iTunes backup is crap and takes hours.
    Its actually faster to restore an android phone than it is to restore an iPhone. I did it last week and the iPhone took half a day where the android phone was restored in an hour.

IOS is crap. You NEED to jailbreak it to even come close to Android OS.
    Only when IOS is jailbroken is when it comes user friendly. Android is user friendly from the start and doesn't need to be jailbroken.

IOS will never come close to Android as its so locked up tight.
    Idk about you but that's the complete opposite for all my devices I have. Very easy to restore and enter in my iCloud and everything is there. Sync with iTunes for music and photos. Easy and quick within an hour.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Android is not the holy grail of mobile OS's and certainly not user friendly.
    I have a galaxy tab 10.1. It came with 3 email apps (gmail, email and Samsung mail)... Why? Not only that, they do not interact with each other, so if you set up your account on each and check email on gmail, it won't show up on Samsung email.
    Now there are like 3 or 4 media players - why? Because each one lacks a functionality the others compensate for. I can't even get this to be displayed in portrait mode by spinning the tablet.
    A self defeating feature of android is how applications are handled. Take for example, The Weather Channel App, Chase Banking App, and Facebook App. Compare these to the iOS versions:
    I could dissect these apps, but the bottom line is that the android version waste so much space on the screen. In facebook, it is either tiny print or if you choose to enlarge it, then everything gets fuzzy. Weather channel, this looks like it was built for a smaller tablet but tries to mathematically position it's info on larger tablets which leaves 80% of the screen empty. Chase has issues as Weather Channel and Facebook.... text too small and positioned wrong.
    I have downloaded games on the GT 10.1 some are great looking some are unplayable, especially when it comes to tilting the tablet. The orientation just is way off, like tilting the tablet up and down to go left and right, if it works at all.
    Another thing is, and this is a Samsung thing, they do not keep your os up to date. I got this tablet 1 year ago christmas. It came with 3.2 and was it 6 months after 4.0 was released did I get an update. There is no talk of 4.2 coming to GT10.1. Sure I can root this and put on some hacked version to get 4.2 however, looking at the hacked version of 4.0 at that time, if I did root and update at the time, I would have lost camera and some other essential thing.
    I like to Skype , I like to mess around with the camera. It wasnt an option.

Another thing is that no matter how great the os is (4.2, 5.0, 6.7) - if the apps are not graphically pleasing, they will still look like crap on a killer OS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Atari800 View Post
    Android is not the holy grail of mobile OS's and certainly not user friendly.
    I have a galaxy tab 10.1. It came with 3 email apps (gmail, email and Samsung mail)... Why? Not only that, they do not interact with each other, so if you set up your account on each and check email on gmail, it won't show up on Samsung email.
    Now there are like 3 or 4 media players - why? Because each one lacks a functionality the others compensate for. I can't even get this to be displayed in portrait mode by spinning the tablet.
    A self defeating feature of android is how applications are handled. Take for example, The Weather Channel App, Chase Banking App, and Facebook App. Compare these to the iOS versions:
    I could dissect these apps, but the bottom line is that the android version waste so much space on the screen. In facebook, it is either tiny print or if you choose to enlarge it, then everything gets fuzzy. Weather channel, this looks like it was built for a smaller tablet but tries to mathematically position it's info on larger tablets which leaves 80% of the screen empty. Chase has issues as Weather Channel and Facebook.... text too small and positioned wrong.
    I have downloaded games on the GT 10.1 some are great looking some are unplayable, especially when it comes to tilting the tablet. The orientation just is way off, like tilting the tablet up and down to go left and right, if it works at all.
    Another thing is, and this is a Samsung thing, they do not keep your os up to date. I got this tablet 1 year ago christmas. It came with 3.2 and was it 6 months after 4.0 was released did I get an update. There is no talk of 4.2 coming to GT10.1. Sure I can root this and put on some hacked version to get 4.2 however, looking at the hacked version of 4.0 at that time, if I did root and update at the time, I would have lost camera and some other essential thing.
    I like to Skype , I like to mess around with the camera. It wasnt an option.

Another thing is that no matter how great the os is (4.2, 5.0, 6.7) - if the apps are not graphically pleasing, they will still look like crap on a killer OS
    Great repost

I have had an android phone since 1.5 doughnut and no OS iteration has got even close to iOS. Wished I had used iPhone for years previous because it makes me sick thinking of all them hours wasted on repairing a buggy OS and all the times my phone died halfway through the day. I love the concept of android but it has MASSIVE FATAL weaknesses that make it unusable

Thanks

Not trying to start anything but just curious....I do agree with you on battery life. But why would it take you hours to restore? Im constantly flashing new ROMS to try out. With nan backups and titanium backup it takes me at the most half hour.