Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What's Behind Sharp's Slowdown in iPad Screen Production?

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default What's Behind Sharp's Slowdown in iPad Screen Production?

Chatter out of Japan on Friday tells us that production of 9.7-inch screens for Apple's iPad has almost winded to a complete halt. Sources close to Sharp Corp. say that the reduction speaks to the shifting market demand for Apple products.

That is, demand for the smaller iPad mini is picking up and may be reducing previously sustained levels of market demand for the traditional - or "regular-sized" - iPad. Reuters reported this morning that Sharp's iPad screen production line in central Japan "has fallen to the minimal level to keep the line running this month."

The production slowdown, however, was first reported as 2012 drew to a close. When asked for comment, a spokesperson for Sharp would not speak on the record about production output, saying only that "We don't disclose production levels." Not surprisingly, Apple isn't commenting either.

While next week's earnings report from Apple (covering the holiday 2012 shopping quarter) may provide some insight into iPad market demand, the most telling information won't come until the next earnings report, which will hopefully give us sales data on the iPad and iPad mini during the first full quarter of availability for both products.

Source: Reuters

Thanks

The mini is the future..no more bulky laptops or bulky tablets. Stream line the big ones to be as thin and sturdy as the mini..its one sexy tablet.

^ couldn't of said it better.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    The mini is the future..no more bulky laptops or bulky tablets. Stream line the big ones to be as thin and sturdy as the mini..its one sexy tablet.
    but steve (messiah) jobs said that 7" tablets were too small.

Even sometimes Steve Jobs is wrong. Sorry to break it to you. You should read his biography.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    but steve (messiah) jobs said that 7" tablets were too small.
    That's why they made them 7.9" not 7. Lol

How about supply and demand has reached its equilibrium. That is the only logical answer since we have no sales figures from Apple. This article is speculative as the demand for any product diminishes over time. M'essany knows this. To bad he cant write a truthful article to save his life. Everything from this guy is over blown, under delivered, speculative, not confirmed, unverified, and plainly junk. Sorry to be so blunt. The other writers on MMI are much better.

writers need to start being held to standards. It is shotty writing like this is what hurt firms and their stakeholders. This is a problem that seems to be getting out of control. I am not one for government or governing body controls, but something needs to be done. When a Writer can write what he/she wants, and it makes a stock drop 10%, there is something wrong. Obviously these writers on forums can write anything they want without much fight from their boss as page views is all they apparently care about...........pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    How about supply and demand has reached its equilibrium. That is the only logical answer since we have no sales figures from Apple. This article is speculative as the demand for any product diminishes over time. M'essany knows this. To bad he cant write a truthful article to save his life. Everything from this guy is over blown, under delivered, speculative, not confirmed, unverified, and plainly junk. Sorry to be so blunt. The other writers on MMI are much better.

writers need to start being held to standards. It is shotty writing like this is what hurt firms and their stakeholders. This is a problem that seems to be getting out of control. I am not one for government or governing body controls, but something needs to be done. When a Writer can write what he/she wants, and it makes a stock drop 10%, there is something wrong. Obviously these writers on forums can write anything they want without much fight from their boss as page views is all they apparently care about...........pathetic.
    Yes. I would have to agree with you on this one.

The source is Reuters - if you want to yell at anyone then yell at them. Also, are you suggesting that Modmyi only report good Apple news from now on?

Considering that Modmyi depends on the success of Apple products to remain operational, posting a somewhat negative story goes to their credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    The source is Reuters - if you want to yell at anyone then yell at them. Also, are you suggesting that Modmyi only report good Apple news from now on?

Considering that Modmyi depends on the success of Apple products to remain operational, posting a somewhat negative story goes to their credit.
    The source doesn't matter. What happens is these "yellow journalist" find a story, e.g. from Reuters, and all they simply do is change the title, write a slightly modified version of that original story, and stick a link at the bottom to give credit where it is due. From there the story just continues to be traded up the train to different news outlets. The source is not the issue, its the content of these articles.

As for Mmi, no. Mmi should continue, and will continue to write what they want. As I said in my latter post, the other writers are OK. I enjoy reading Anthony's articles. However, his articles seem more relevant.

If mmi depends on Apple's success, this story does nothing to help it. I fail to see how a negative story helps anyone other than the Unethical writer( Unethical based on the notion that this story was found, and simply replicated, nothing fact checked or verified. And, on the deceitful Titles he continuously uses) with page views and hopefully comments.

Now, back to the original article. Why would Apple cutting back on orders mean anything? Supply and Demand is all this is. The phone has sold records amounts at time of release during its tour into new and emerging markets. Again, this is simply bloggers trying to find anything that they can write about and turn it into something it is not.

When Apple was on the rise, these same people couldn't get enough of Apple, now they need news so these same people are going to turn their back. Nobody wants to keep reading happy stories when there is drama and scandal to be found. And when there is no drama or scandals, these so called bloggers make one. Its that simple.

The source doesn't matter. What happens is these "yellow journalist" find a story, e.g. from Reuters, and all they simply do is change the title, write a slightly modified version of that original story, and stick a link at the bottom to give credit where it is due. From there the story just continues to be traded up the train to different news outlets. The source is not the issue, its the content of these articles.

As for Mmi, no. Mmi should continue, and will continue to write what they want. As I said in my latter post, the other writers are OK. I enjoy reading Anthony's articles. However, his articles seem more relevant.

If mmi depends on Apple's success, this story does nothing to help it. I fail to see how a negative story helps anyone other than the Unethical writer( Unethical based on the notion that this story was found, and simply replicated, nothing fact checked or verified. And, on the deceitful Titles he continuously uses) with page views and hopefully comments.

Now, back to the original article. Why would Apple cutting back on orders mean anything? Supply and Demand is all this is. The phone has sold records amounts at time of release during its tour into new and emerging markets. Again, this is simply bloggers trying to find anything that they can write about and turn it into something it is not.

When Apple was on the rise, these same people couldn't get enough of Apple, now they need news so these same people are going to turn their back. Nobody wants to keep reading happy stories when there is drama and scandal to be found. And when there is no drama or scandals, these so called bloggers make one. Its that simple.
    Why u rainin on our apple parade?

Sounds like he bought Apple stock high.

Quote Originally Posted by i113 View Post
    Sounds like he bought Apple stock high.
    Nope, but the way these bloggers are bringing down the sock, I should buy some. There earnings call is next week.

Default Never gonna happen...
    I'll take a 65" ipad over the mini, everytime. Bring it on... Crapple not...

Last edited by DaLsim; 01-18-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,228 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaLsim View Post
    Actually, I'd love a 19.4" 'Desktop' iPad! I really enjoy typing on the iPad but its still too small. A full size keyboard would be awesome and probably more productive!!!

But I have to admit, our iPad Mini is so much more convenient than our regular iPads.

First I replaced a macbook pro with an air and now the 1st gen ipad with a mini. I do like like light and compact.

Dude, every time I'm in the Apple Store here in Philly, I always pickup one of the iPad Minis & just say to myself, "Wow". I'm trying to hold out on buying one to replace my iPad 2, only because I want to see if they implement the Mini's design to the 5th gen iPad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty soon it wil be small enough to fit in your pocket!
    Oh, Wait! They already have that... it's called an iphone!

Their will always be a necessity for a bigger screen.. Mini is the future for tablets, I find myself using mine 10x as often as my iPad. However laptops are completely different, laptops are still powerhouses of portable tech. People just don't acknowledge it as much anymore.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Though it would be even better with a latest-generation processor and a Retina display, I'm completely satisfied with my iPad mini. Even if the 4th-generation iPad was the same price, I would still rather have the mini because the size just works better for me. I can't wait for the next version! I'll gift this one to my mother or use it as a dedicated TV remote / TV-watching companion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast