+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Feels Windows RT Can't Compete with Android and iOS Platform

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Feels Windows RT Can't Compete with Android and iOS Platform

Microsofts answers to all of their iPad problems was the Surface, which was previously launched with Windows RT. The device runs on cellphone chips yet still looks very similar to the regular Windows 8 platform, which was supposed to help attract consumers. Sales of the Widows RT tablets havenít been as strong and now Samsung is second guessing the platform as the reason why.

Samsungís Senior Vice President, Mike Abary, recently said in an interview at CES that Samsung has decided they wonít launch their Windows RT tablet in the U.S. after discovering there isnít as much demand for them. In his interview with CNET, Abary said the following:

There wasnít really a very clear positioning of what Windows RT meant in the marketplace, what it stood for relative to Windows 8, that was being done in an effective manner to the consumer. When we did some tests and studies on how we could go to market with a Windows RT device, we determined there was a lot of heavy lifting we still needed to do to educate the customer on what Windows RT was. And that heavy lifting was going to require pretty heavy investment. When we added those two things up, the investments necessary to educate the consumer on the difference between RT and Windows 8, plus the modest feedback that we got regarding how successful could this be at retail from our retail partners, we decided maybe we ought to wait.
    Basically, Windows RT devices are designed to be less expensive than other Windows 8 tablets because the hardware behind them isnít as powerful. Since Windows RT looks just like Windows 8, there has been a lot of confusion from consumers as to what they can do and why someone should buy Windows RT as opposed to Windows 8. Microsoft in turn has responded by saying they plan to invest $1.5 billion in a marketing blitz to help familiar consumers with both platforms along with their similarities and differences. Abary said that Samsung wants to wait and see how the market develops but as of right now, they donít see it being a good platform for the company to invest, especially when compared to the Android and iOS platform.

Source: CNET via Cult of Mac

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

The real competition with the Windows RT tablet is itself as its crap and nobody wants one. Everyone is waiting for the full version with Windows 8 on it.
    WHY get a Windows tablet which cant run Windows?
    I have been saying since Windows 8 was in Beta that it was crap and the wrong decision for Microsoft. For a desktop I was totally right.
    Windows RT is the 2nd big mistake they've done. The 3rd is taking so long to release the full Windows 8 tablet. The longer they take to release it the more customers they loose.
    Not everyone can afford a tablet as they are expensive and when someone has the money they can only afford one and if there is only 1 or 2 on the market then thats what they get. As the Windows 8 tablet isn't even released its not any competition to anything yet and Microsoft is just loosing.

Windows 8 is a total flop. If they dont release their tablet soon it will be dead before its even released. (Just like Windows 8 for desktop PCs)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They are not in the postion to comment that because they don't even have they own OS

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

surface rt is pretty ****, no duh. But Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a whole new level. 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB RAM, dual antennas (for great wifi), you can get basically anything you can get on a pc, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, 64 GB or 128 GB, all these ports and sensors and external storage

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crackass View Post
    surface rt is pretty ****, no duh. But Surface with Windows 8 Pro is a whole new level. 3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB RAM, dual antennas (for great wifi), you can get basically anything you can get on a pc, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, 64 GB or 128 GB, all these ports and sensors and external storage
    When is it coming out again?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

The 26th of January.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crackass View Post
    And for the small price of $1000

also "dual antennas" Wifi N needs 3 antennas for full MIMO

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

I gave windows 8 a chance and I grew to like it. I must say though, that there AppStore needs some serious help.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I gave windows 8 a chance and I grew to like it. I must say though, that there AppStore needs some serious help.
    Same, I have been running it since the consumer preview (also had release preview) and got windows 8 pro on my
    Laptop the day it came out (oct 26th) I personally find it much easier to navigate this new "start" screen then the old start button. I use the Netflix app daily just because it's much more convenient than going into the browser. The App Store needs to just attract more developers and it will be very good. Personally I love windows 8

Thanks

Im not a fan of the RT model as i've tested it. You can't even use MS Lync on it, until MS updates the patch for it. I tested the new Dell Windows 8 Pro..much better for the $$ you'll be spending. It is also a desktop not a tablet. I was impressed with the dock as it had an ethernet port, HDMI and USB ports respectively. Im not a huge windows fan but they do have there place in the market..

Banned
    Thanks

I almost bought one of these thinking it could run windows 7 programs and such.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Windows are on a last attempt to enter the tablet market and have made a mistake with the rt version! And a lot of retailers won't/can't fully explain to customers what the plus and low points are cause just now almost every retailer is looking for cash and nothing else! End of the day people will not be happy when they realise the software is a poor 2nd cousin to windows 8 and it will be a galaxy tab repeat! High returns!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Agree!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StanSmith View Post
    The real competition with the Windows RT tablet is itself as its crap and nobody wants one. Everyone is waiting for the full version with Windows 8 on it.
    WHY get a Windows tablet which cant run Windows?
    I have been saying since Windows 8 was in Beta that it was crap and the wrong decision for Microsoft. For a desktop I was totally right.
    Windows RT is the 2nd big mistake they've done. The 3rd is taking so long to release the full Windows 8 tablet. The longer they take to release it the more customers they loose.
    Not everyone can afford a tablet as they are expensive and when someone has the money they can only afford one and if there is only 1 or 2 on the market then thats what they get. As the Windows 8 tablet isn't even released its not any competition to anything yet and Microsoft is just loosing.

Windows 8 is a total flop. If they dont release their tablet soon it will be dead before its even released. (Just like Windows 8 for desktop PCs)
    I couldn't agree more!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Venom1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Bing View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    Personal opinion don't make it crap. Learn to use the software and maybe your opinion would be different.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have just purchased the Dell xps 12, and I love it.
    I would not get the RT surface, because as others have pointed out there simply are too few good apps. I would however get the Surface Pro.
    IMO Microsoft should spend that $1.5 billion to create better apps and recruit many more developers.
    I for one hope that windows 8 is a success because it is the most useful and innovative tablet based experience from a layout and functionality perspective.
    -2 cents

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xiao bing View Post
    i couldn't agree more!
    +1xd

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Well said!
    [QUOTE=StanSmith;6738043]The real competition with the Windows RT tablet is itself as its crap and nobody wants one...

This comment, I feel, best sums up the Windows 8 situation. I have been using W8 on a desktop since the first Alpha release, and thoroughly hate the new UI. We have two W8 tablets at work for development and testing, and I hate W8 on those too. In terms of intuitivenes, usefulness, beauty, etc., W8 is crap.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,104 Times in 6,251 Posts

Windows RT is not windows 8
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!