Results 1 to 12 of 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPad mini Currently On Pace to Outsell Fourth-Generation iPad

  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    4,383
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 144 Times in 129 Posts

    Default iPad mini Currently On Pace to Outsell Fourth-Generation iPad


    The iPad mini seems to be an instant hit which is currently set to eclipse the full-size iPad with sales as high as 12 million units in its first quarter according to a new report by NPD DisplaySearch. Originally expected to sell 6 million iPad minis over the holidays, Apple has doubled its orders with displayed panel markers to more than 12 million according to analyst David Hsieh. The demand for the iPad mini seems to be so strong that it seems to be selling better than the new fourth-generation iPad.

    According to Hsieh, “it seems people especially like the size.” He expects that Apple will adjust its product portfolio next year to accommodate for strong demand for the iPad mini. As of right now, display panels for the 7.9-inch iPad are being built by AU Optronics and LG Display. If the sales reach 50 million units, Hsieh said that Apple will need to find other panel suppliers to meet demand.

    The comments made by NPD seem to also agree with analyst Shaw Wu of Sterne Agee who said that the iPad mini has been cannibalizing the sales of the larger 9.7-inch iPad. Wu said that the sales of the full-size iPad seem to be slower than expected while the iPad mini demand has been greater than Apple had anticipated.

    With an overwhelming demand and reported production issues just a week and a half before Christmas, Apple’s online stores are advertising that iPad mini purchases are available to ship in one week, indicating that supply hasn’t caught up with demand just yet. The Cupertino California company hasn’t disclosed sales of the iPad mini yet but did announce that the total sales over the launch weekend for the mini and the fourth-generation reached 3 million units.

    Given its size and weight along with its more affordable (yet still expensive for its class) price tag, it isn’t a surprise to see the iPad mini being such a hot-selling product, especially for the holidays.

    Source: NPD DisplaySearch via CNET

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Damn straight. Sold my 3rd gen to get one. Don't know if I could go back to the huge clunky.

    Ill revisit this when 5th gen is thin and light

  3. #3
    Where are all those idiots that said this would never sell? They said it would be a fail.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to NSXrebel For This Useful Post:

    runey71 (12-15-2012)

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    Where are all those idiots that said this would never sell? They said it would be a fail.
    Not to mention all the ones who said it would never exist in the first place

  6. #5
    Impossible to answer question of the day: Anyone care to take a guess when the 5th gen will be out? I know Apple have history with March releases, but is that too early after the recent 4th gen upgrade?

  7. #6
    Only reason the iPad mini is outselling the iPad 4th gen is maybe because of all the 3rd gen owners angry that they only had their top of the line tablet for 1-6 months and boom came the 4th one came out? Don't get me wrong I love my iPad mini, I'm just saying I know a lot of people that are still mad that they just bought a 3rd gen just to find out that the 4th gen came out months later, and a lot of people just stuck with their 3rd gen and bought a mini because its a cheaper way to go.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

  8. #7
    Still a bad move on Apple's part. Rather than eating into the competition's share of the market, they took away from the iPad.

  9. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacandaga Lake
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    I have had the ipad mini now for 3 weeks. It is great! I hardly use my ipad anymore. I had a Nexus 7 for 2 weeks to compare with and I ended up returning the Nexus. The NEXUS is a great little device but the the ipad blows it away with infrastructure and apps. I love the way I can stick it in my back pocket of my jeans or inside breast pocket my sportcoat or jacket. I am not an Apple fanboy but I have more and more bought into the Apple ecosystem. Although I do NOT play games on my devices I do use them a lot for work and web/email. Lots of typing I need to use my Macbook. BUT I use the ipad mini more than my laptop everyday! I will definitely upgrade to a Retina when they have one. My ipad has 64gb but since I use Box a lot I never really beeded that much storage. The mini only has 16gb so Ill know if I need a larger storage by the time the next one is out. The ipad is jailbroken the mini of course is not BUT I do not seem to missing anything. I can tether to my phone no problem. ALL my apps are purchased and I do not need any of the fancy tweeks/settings on the ipad mini! I would miss them on my phone but do not need them on the ipad!

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    Still a bad move on Apple's part. Rather than eating into the competition's share of the market, they took away from the iPad.
    There both apple products genius. It doesn't matter if people buy the mini or the 4 to apple (much), so long as they aren't buying the Nexus 7 or whatever

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Only reason the iPad mini is outselling the iPad 4th gen is maybe because of all the 3rd gen owners angry that they only had their top of the line tablet for 1-6 months and boom came the 4th one came out? Don't get me wrong I love my iPad mini, I'm just saying I know a lot of people that are still mad that they just bought a 3rd gen just to find out that the 4th gen came out months later, and a lot of people just stuck with their 3rd gen and bought a mini because its a cheaper way to go.
    That's a stupid logic. Let me get this right, 3rd gen iPad owners are not buying the 4th gen iPad because they are angry? Wtf would they buy ANOTHER iPad when they bought one already. AND even if they hadn't bought an iPad 3rd gen, and they now bought the iPad 4, the iPad mini would still be outselling it.

    Lets pretend the iPad 4 wasn't released, are you saying these iPad 3 owners would still buy the iPad mini??

    Either way you cut it, the iPad mini IS outselling the iPad.

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXrebel View Post
    That's a stupid logic. Let me get this right, 3rd gen iPad owners are not buying the 4th gen iPad because they are angry? Wtf would they buy ANOTHER iPad when they bought one already. AND even if they hadn't bought an iPad 3rd gen, and they now bought the iPad 4, the iPad mini would still be outselling it.

    Lets pretend the iPad 4 wasn't released, are you saying these iPad 3 owners would still buy the iPad mini??

    Either way you cut it, the iPad mini IS outselling the iPad.
    Lol agreed. iPad mini most likely is out selling because its near 200 dollars cheaper. Now everyone who has wanted an iPad can get one. Also form factor. Let's face it. The iPad is big and heavy

  13. #12
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    31,217
    Thanks
    3,933
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Damn straight. Sold my 3rd gen to get one. Don't know if I could go back to the huge clunky.

    Ill revisit this when 5th gen is thin and light
    Ditto, I love the mini, much handier for me.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

    subywrex (12-15-2012)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •