+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Tablet Market Dominance is 'Almost Over'

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPad Tablet Market Dominance is 'Almost Over'

During the third quarter of 2012, Apple's iPad clung fast to a majority of tablet shipments around the world with a 55% share. And while this majority position is still impressive, it's important to look beyond the immediate results and consider where they've been since the iPad was first released in the spring of 2010.

Apple's iPad has been the global tablet leader for ten consecutive quarters, but Android-powered tablets have worn away at this lead substantially. ABI research says 55% is the lowest share Apple has seen since the tablet was launched two and a half years ago.

In case you're wondering, Android now powers 44% of the global tablet market as of the end of Q3. Although it isn't clear how soon Amazon, Google, and Samsung will combine to take a collective majority share away from Apple, it's clear that the iPad's days of dominance are now numbered.

"With the introduction of a smaller, lower-cost iPad mini, Apple has acknowledged Android's beachhead of 7-inch-class tablets, though at the same time, it has failed to deliver a knock-out punch through innovation, pricing, and availability during the most critical selling period of the year," says ABI's senior practice director Jeff Orr. "As the OS of choice for the majority of device OEMs, we expect the Android ecosystem to continue growing in numbers new manufacturers, better device choices for reaching more markets, and more developers finding value from apps and content."

Source: ABI Research

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 671 Posts

Here we go again comparing Apples to oranges lol. Have to say tho? iPad n iPad mini have been doing good since there's only 1 of each compared to about 10 android tablets of each size to compete with. ;-)

iPhone? More like MyPhone peacedog's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm actually glad to hear this, and this is coming from an Apple fanboy. This tells me that people are not willing to pay for Apple products at any cost. I hope this makes Apple rethink their pricing structure. You can get almost 2 Nexus 7 tablets for the price of one iPad Mini. And the Nexus 7 is a nice tablet.

I have long believed that iOS vs Android is no longer a battle of "who is best". They are just different. And people have their own tastes. If they go to pricing, Android will beat Apple every time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They have barely innovated at all. Creating a smaller iPad is not innovation, it's basically what most companies already do. Creating a bigger iPhone was just as innovation-less. People like them, sure, but it's not innovation.

Thanks

I think apple is ok with 55% of market share.

Thanks

If the mini had a retina display and an A6 processor then I'd say it'd be worth the price, but being that's it's just a smaller ipad 2 when they are now on an ipad 4....not worth it. Next year hopefully they'll add the display and processor...hopefully

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    If the mini had a retina display and an A6 processor then I'd say it'd be worth the price, but being that's it's just a smaller ipad 2 when they are now on an ipad 4....not worth it. Next year hopefully they'll add the display and processor...hopefully
    I thought that way to. Debated between a new full size and the mini. For what I do the Retina is not important and size factor is. Went with the mini and can say so far am happy with it. Next up to purchase will be both a full size and a 7 inch Android tablet. Already have a full size iPad original that does all I need it for also.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

If you look at it, the a5 processor is actually still very powerful, it by no means is outdated, it runs iOS 6 no problem on my 4S along with games such as asphalt 7:heat. I agree the a6 should've been put in, but the a5 is still very capable of doing what is needed.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

The latest iPad compared to the trillion new tablets out there running Android...I'd say Apple is still doing really well! Of course this means cheaper tablets will be available which is great for us (consumers). Hopefully the prices will continue to drop!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I think apple is ok with 55% of market share.
    it was 14% in Q3 2012.

Thanks

Apple is about quality, not quantity, and besides Apple's 55% market share is bigger than 44% market share, shared with tons of android tablet makers.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwork View Post
    Apple is about quality, not quantity, and besides Apple's 55% market share is bigger than 44% market share, shared with tons of android tablet makers.
    Ehhhhh...you handle many of the equivalent priced Android tablets? Build quality is as good as the iPad and in some cases the features surpass the iPad (SD card storage anyone?). I have begun to HATE the little ridge that runs around the iPad Mini screen. After a while it starts wearing into your fingers because it is rather squared and not rounded (poor design?).
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fanboyfanboy View Post
    If you look at it, the a5 processor is actually still very powerful, it by no means is outdated, it runs iOS 6 no problem on my 4S along with games such as asphalt 7:heat. I agree the a6 should've been put in, but the a5 is still very capable of doing what is needed.
    Spot on! Also, people need to remember that the A5 in the mini is the new 32mm process rather than 45mm. Apple have seem to have found a real sweet spot with the A5 chip. Nice balance between power and battery life.

Thanks

ok. so apple has half the market, and a dozen other companies split up the other half, that still makes apple the largest single supplier of tablets, and will still have a larger installed user base. android tablets will be playing catch up for a few more years. that's not including windows 8 tablets which will take sales away from both platforms (if microsoft gets it's dream). apple's ecosystem also continues to be far superior to the general android marketplace.

so, in the end, who is "winning"?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

WAY WAY to soon for apple to lose iPad dominance. Kindle fire and nexus are good for their price but none of them have 10inch tablets who will take apple out of that market? Apple is dominating because it has no competitors and now it's invading the only market other competitors had some control over,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    ok. so apple has half the market, and a dozen other companies split up the other half, that still makes apple the largest single supplier of tablets, and will still have a larger installed user base. android tablets will be playing catch up for a few more years. that's not including windows 8 tablets which will take sales away from both platforms (if microsoft gets it's dream). apple's ecosystem also continues to be far superior to the general android marketplace.

so, in the end, who is "winning"?
    I have no idea why everyone seems to mention in every freaking article about how Apple is losing market share. No one's saying that Apple is "losing", all it says is that the combined value of the other tablets are hurting the iPad. Your turning it into something it's not.

Thanks
    This is good, because it will inspire competition. Therefore, it will inspire innovation and also it will drive the price down. In other words, this is extremely good news if you're a consumer. If Apple wants to keep the market that they currently have, they are going to have to work for it and that is becoming evident.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwork View Post
    Quality? lmfao. take a look at apple's support forums for the iPhone 5.

- iOS data bug
    - scrolling glitch: hardware flaw NOT software problem.
    - screen flicker: hardware flaw NOT software problem
    - data leak
    - maps not working
    - wifi not working
    - purple lens flare on camera
    - siri not working on day one
    - scratches and scuffs on the phones: hardware flaw NOT software problem
    - passbook app cannot sync to iTunes
    - yellowish tint on display: hardware flaw NOT software problem
    - light bleed: hardware flaw NOT software problem