Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Major iPad Mini Heist Goes Down at JFK

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Major iPad Mini Heist Goes Down at JFK

The iPad mini fell victim to a pretty big crime this week in New York. Law enforcement officials at JFK International Airport say that a bundle of the new pint-sized Apple tablets were stolen by criminals from the exact same cargo building featured in a prominent heist scene in “GoodFellas.”

The New York Post was first to report the crime, which allegedly resulted in the pilfering of $1.5 million worth of iPads. The thieves made their move and completed their dirty work shortly after midnight on Monday. And how is this for brazen? They reportedly used the airport’s own forklift to unload the craters of iPads onto their getaway truck.

In the end, the criminals had to leave a lot of iPads behind because they simply couldn't make off with all of them.
    "Investigators, suspecting an inside job, have been questioning airport workers and given three of them polygraph tests," a source tells the New York Post.

As of this writing, the suspects are still at large. And they are still thought to be in possession of some 3,600 iPad minis.

Source: New York Post

Thanks

nice !

Hahah my neighbor did the same thing and stole 500 iphone 4's when they came out but got caught these dudes will too unless they dont spend any of the money too quick kudos to them

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xhazex9x For This Useful Post:

Snipers168 (11-15-2012)

Uhh, 3,600 iPad minis is $1,188,000 MSRP, which is MUCH closer to $1,000,000 than it is to 1,500,000. Yes, you could factor in an estimated sales tax to get something closer that can be rounded up, like $1,283,040 at 8%, but that is never part of the value. The thing is, we know these are probably going to be sold on the street for less than wholesale so rounding up smacks of hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Uhh, 3,600 iPad minis is $1,188,000 MSRP, which is MUCH closer to $1,000,000 than it is to 1,500,000. Yes, you could factor in an estimated sales tax to get something closer that can be rounded up, like $1,283,040 at 8%, but that is never part of the value. The thing is, we know these are probably going to be sold on the street for less than wholesale so rounding up smacks of hyperbole.
    That's assuming they were all 16GB wifi units.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Like another user mentioned, that's assuming all 3,600 are the 16GB version. In addition the $1,500,000 is an estimated worth of the iPad Minis that were stolen not how much the criminals will make from selling them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Once they hook it up online. Apple will be able to track it. Everything is barcoded
    Nothing in life is easy.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    nice !
    And how is this "nice"? Are you an advocate of theft?

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    Hahah my neighbor did the same thing and stole 500 iphone 4's when they came out but got caught these dudes will too unless they dont spend any of the money too quick kudos to them
    Can only assume you're sending kudos to the cops for catching your neighbours. Otherwise you're condoning stealing.....

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

Hahaha that's great I love it !!

You have to give whoever did this credit, that's some James Bonds crap lol. I mean they used the places forklift? Stories like this amaze me lol. But I have an odd feeling that they won't get caught.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    And how is this "nice"? Are you an advocate of theft?
    Please. He meant how it was planned, heist these days never go well
    Nothing in life is easy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha I already know what company may be involved in this since I work in JFK.
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,355 Posts

Not to condone theft, but there's always that part of me that enjoys hearing/reading about crimes that took a lot of intelligence to accomplish the task. There are some very ingenious criminals out there!

Probably the TSA. They have a BIG appetite for ipads.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exnavy View Post
    probably the tsa. They have a big appetite for ipads.
    lol!

Skills that kills 

Quote Originally Posted by ferris419 View Post
    Hahaha that's great I love it !!
    How is this great?

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Probably the TSA. They have a BIG appetite for ipads.
    So true!

This was organized by Apple to give them popularity, and news in the media. Who cares if Apple loses $1,000,000?! Nice move Apple, nice move!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast