Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad Mini is Preferred Over PCs, Doesn't Hurt iPad Sales

Thanks

Default iPad Mini is Preferred Over PCs, Doesn't Hurt iPad Sales

Apple seems to be one of the few companies that isnít afraid to introduce a product that might cannibalize other products it sells. Looking at some past examples, no one buys classic iPods anymore, they buy the iPod Touch or iPhone instead. Another example would be the MacBook Air, which cannibalized sales of regular MacBooks to an extent. The most recent example of this though is the iPad mini, which many consumers and analysts figured would cannibalize sales of the iPad. In actuality, this assumption turned out to be false though.

A new survey conducted by Cowen and Co. shows that while the iPad mini has been selling quite well, it hasnít cannibalized the regular iPad lineup. Instead it is contributing towards killing PC sales. Cowen and Co. surveyed a total of 1,225 U.S. adults and found that 12% planned to purchase an iPad mini in the next 18 months. Of those 12%, a staggering 52% said they never owned a tablet before. Furthermore, out of those that showed interest in purchasing an iPad mini, only 16.6% said theyíll be purchasing it as a replacement for another device, 42% of those people said it will replace their Windows PC instead.

The survey helps conclude that people who are buying the iPad mini arenít buying it to replace their iPad, theyíre buying it to replace their PC, or to get their feet wet with their first tablet. The Cupertino California company doesnít have to worry too much about the iPad mini taking customers away from the iPad sales because the mini seems to be bringing new customers into the ecosystem, which calls for a scary proposition for all of Appleís competitors.

For you iPad mini owners, which category do you fall under?

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

In a year or so when they release a Retina screen iPad Mini with a faster chip I will get one and retire my 1st gen iPad.

WAIT so people wanting the ipad mini more ISNT hurting sales!? thanks for the clarification

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrteacup For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-15-2012)

Survey with 1,225 persons and they compare Sales over PCs and iPads! What a staggering number!

And if anyone cares to do the math you will see that only 4 percent of the 1225 said it will replace a pc. I'm sorry but that number does not say that the mini is preferred over the PC, please learn to read the articles first before you come up lame *** titles that are completely wrong.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bry2k2 For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-15-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    And if anyone cares to do the math you will see that only 4 percent of the 1225 said it will replace a pc. I'm sorry but that number does not say that the mini is preferred over the PC, please learn to read the articles first before you come up lame *** titles that are completely wrong.
    1,225 x .14 = 147

147 x .166 = 24.402

24.402 x .42 = 10.24884

10.24884 / 1,225 = .0083664 or .83%

That isn't even 1 %.....

Not shooting down your math (though you may have miscalculated) but the number is even lower than you suggested......this survey and article are a wee bit over-exaggerated (<--- and this is an understatement)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

......huh?? I just don't see how they came to the conclusion that the iPad mini will be bought as a PC replacement... And if you do believe that is true, then the mini is taking sales from macs. What is considered a PC to these people? Some people would view their laptop their PC as well.
    El Zurdo

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytj View Post
    In a year or so when they release a Retina screen iPad Mini with a faster chip I will get one and retire my 1st gen iPad.
    Exactly. That was my first thought when I stopped in the Apple store to check out the mini.