+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad to Yield Market Dominance to Android... Next Year?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Apple's iPad may be on its last leg as the global tablet market leader. May sound hard to believe, but Apple is losing ground every day to the collective arsenal
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default iPad to Yield Market Dominance to Android... Next Year?

Apple's iPad may be on its last leg as the global tablet market leader.

May sound hard to believe, but Apple is losing ground every day to the collective arsenal of Android-powered tablets that are flooding the market. As a result Android is poised to upset iOS as the globe's top tablet player before 2013 comes to a close.

In conjunction with the latest industry estimates from the IDC, Sameer Singh, an analyst with Finvista Advisors, reported Tuesday that the iPad's share of the tablet is less than one year away from falling below 50%. "The iPad would have to consistently outpace the growth of Android tablets over the next year to hold on to its market leadership position, which is quite unlikely," Singh writes.

Therefore, current tablet market share trends are consistent with my prediction of Android tablets overtaking the iPad by mid-2013. However, both platforms should see rapidly rising volumes, as market share gains will be growth-driven.
    For now, Singh doesn't view tablets running Microsoft's Windows platform as a viable threat to Android or Apple. "I expect them to have a negligible impact on the overall market," he concluded in his report, which can be read in full here.

Source: Sameer Singh

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

What do you expect when there are a million other tablets out there running Android compared to the latest one Apple has out....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Meh, nothing unexpected here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    What do you expect when there are a million other tablets out there running Android compared to the latest one Apple has out....
    Agreed
    King Los aka Los Ninyo

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

They fail to consider the fact apple will own the large tablet (10 inch) market for the next 5 years at least and now they are taking the mini tablet market on. The only market android has to take from is the small tablet market and apple has just released its mini. They are dumb for even thinking apple will lose their huge share in a year..

I mean apple will eventually slow down, i say in the next 3-5 years for their phones because they have failed to improve

Green Apple
    Thanks

good

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

What does your statement prove? That Android is a more sought after OS? I love how people use that lame excuse even when comparing iPhones and Android phones. If someone wants one or the other they will get it. Sure Android is on a lot of lower end phones too, but if ModMyI staff are going to continue reporting these comparisons then what do you expect people to say?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Market share proves absolutely nothing.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    They fail to consider the fact apple will own the large tablet (10 inch) market for the next 5 years at least and now they are taking the mini tablet market on. The only market android has to take from is the small tablet market and apple has just released its mini. They are dumb for even thinking apple will lose their huge share in a year..

I mean apple will eventually slow down, i say in the next 3-5 years for their phones because they have failed to improve
    You are absolutely dreaming. You must live in the US (nothing wrong with that) because they are talking about global markets where the emphasis on android powered devices is clearly evident. There are just more choices, and Android powered devices are favored largely over IOS for that reason. I was an early ios adopter and the iPad mini was the first ios device i did not purchase. When they started changing the connectors and other manufacturers started producing more compelling products (for me at least), I changed everything to Android and won't be looking back. The Apple eco system put me off, an aged inflexible ios confirmed it, and those beautiful big screens of android powered devices just sealed it.

Each to their own. Apple devices are certainly well built, good looking and functional for many, but a one size should fit all policy will never work. It has never worked in the past for any manufacturer of anything, and ultimately with an increasingly expectant and demanding consumer base, will never likely succeed as a policy again.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Of course Android tablets will surpass iOS tablets in market share. You can buy an Android tablet for $79, I spend that every week on gas for my car. Apple will still hold the top spot in profits, since they do not sell at cost or below cost just to flood the market. And before anyone whines they are making to much profit and should lower there price look at the mark up on designer clothes and shoes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    What does your statement prove? That Android is a more sought after OS? I love how people use that lame excuse even when comparing iPhones and Android phones. If someone wants one or the other they will get it. Sure Android is on a lot of lower end phones too, but if ModMyI staff are going to continue reporting these comparisons then what do you expect people to say?
    its not a "lame escuse", it is actually a fact

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Just compare the price... I swear if the new mini iPad were at least $250 I buy four of them.

Thanks

Fact of the matter is Apple hasn't innovated anything since the release of the iPhone in 2007. Yes innovation. The tech definition. Not the people's definition. The iPad is a giant iPhone. Now the iPad mini is a small iPad. Truth be told, they hopefully are in the works redefining what a phone is.

I own an iPad 2 and previously 3 iPhones. Now I own an Android smartphone and my iPad. There's no comparison. People are starting to see there are alternatives to the same lame features, shackled OS and lack of owner customizations. That's the truth. Some Android tablets are pretty amazing. If some Apple addicts would bother to check them out, you may too be wondering why you insisted on staying with the same thing for so long.

I say so what if Android tablets become the majority of tablet purchases. Means nothing. The bigger story is Apple is no longer an innovator and the release of the latest iPhone was an absolute disappointment to many who waited for months to see it and its OS. Made me jump the iPhone ship without hesitation. I have devices from both segments so I'm making an opinion based on what I've experienced. And yes, I will get flamed here but that's usually what you folks do here to people who don't swear 100% allegiance to Apple.

Pretty nice devices on the other side. Should check it out.

My two cents......

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SepticTank For This Useful Post:

MaStA819 (11-13-2012)

Thanks

People can hate on Android all they want. I like the fact that on Android you have choices on what device what you want and you aren't stuck to one choice. You also get freedom on the OS and don't have to worry about waiting on a new jailbreak, etc. iOS is quite basic and it hasn't really changed much.

If you love technology and being able to customize to your heart's content it seems Android is the way to go...if you don't then you are stuck with this. I'm not trying to hate and I'm sure I'll get bashed, but I used an iPhone 3G and I'm currently on an iPhone 4...that is until tomorrow when my Note 2 arrives. Having Android on my HP Touchpad opened my eyes to what else was out there. Apple is losing their touch and their staff.

iPad to Yield Market Dominance to Android... Next Year?-4-smart-phone.jpg

Thanks

Not even close...but nice try. My point was that to catch up with Apple a million other devices have to be made and have Android thrown on them. You're statement about people buying what they want is partially true, but today in this economy a lot of people are buying what they can afford. If that happens to be a cheap tablet running Android then that's what they'll get. Another factor is not knowing what's out there. I have faculty and students come up to me all the time asking what new phone I would recommend or if they should choose the iPad over the Surface etc. I always answer based on their needs. That includes money, use, space, and so on. I don't always point to Apple just because I prefer them.
    Last edited by steve-z17; 11-13-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks

Not even close...but nice try. My point was that to catch up with Apple a million other devices have to be made and have Android thrown on them. You're statement about people buying what they want is partially true, but today in this economy a lot of people are buying what they can afford. If that happens to be a cheap tablet running Android then that's what they'll get. Another factor is not knowing what's out there. I have faculty and students come up to me all the time asking what new phone I would recommend or if they should choose the iPad over the Surface etc. I always answer based on their needs. That includes money, use, space, and so on. I don't always point to Apple just because I prefer them.
    How much experience do you have with Android? What can iOS do that Android cannot and vice versa? When running stock iOS vs stock Android I bet you wouldn't be as happy as you are with iOS.

Thanks

Android's answer to Apple, is to flood the market with as many tablets as possible. Then they lay claim to these non relevant numbers. Apple has been fighting this tablet battle with 5 weapons (4 iPads, iPad Mini). On the other hand Android is running on who knows 75+ devices.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Just to clarify, I think we can all agree that Apple makes some of the nicest devices hardware-wise. In terms of performance they are no slouch either. What's lacking is an innovative OS. iOS no longer wows anymore. What we need is a drastic overhaul. Lets see what Ives comes up with. He's not an idiot. He knows iOS is stale and that Android is on a path to destroy iOS in terms of user enjoyment and even function. iPhone 5 is a marvelous piece of equipment. It's OS, however no longer is.

Thanks

How much experience do you have with Android? What can iOS do that Android cannot and vice versa? When running stock iOS vs stock Android I bet you wouldn't be as happy as you are with iOS.
    I actually have a lot of experience with Android. I always own one of each (Apple, Android). I use both at work on a daily basis. I have more people come to me with their Android smartphones complaining about problems then I do with Apple. Sure Android can do some things that the iPhone can't...but not everyone uses those features. It comes down to personal preference.

Thanks

I actually have a lot of experience with Android. I always own one of each (Apple, Android). I use both at work on a daily basis. I have more people come to me with their Android smartphones complaining about problems then I do with Apple. Sure Android can do some things that the iPhone can't...but not everyone uses those features. It comes down to personal preference.
    Complaining because they can't figure out all of the customization and features I imagine...iPhone is basic whereas Android is more advanced. You can admit it, it's ok.