+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report Reveals Microsoft Surface Screen Falls Short of Retina iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
In a head-to-head comparison of the Surface display with competing tablets, Microsoft’s tablet was found beating out similarly equipped screens but couldn’t take down the Retina display on Apple’s 9.7-inch
    Thanks

Default Report Reveals Microsoft Surface Screen Falls Short of Retina iPad

In a head-to-head comparison of the Surface display with competing tablets, Microsoft’s tablet was found beating out similarly equipped screens but couldn’t take down the Retina display on Apple’s 9.7-inch iPad. Raymond Soneira of DisplayMate recently published his tablet display shootout. His tests found that the Surface display gets Microsoft’s product line off to a “great start.”

According to Soneira, “in particular, on-screen text is significantly sharper, it has a better factory display calibration, and also significantly lower reflectance than the iPad 2 and all full-size 1280x800 Android tablets. But it is not as sharp as the iPad 3 or iPad 4, nor does it have their full color gamut.” For those of you who didn’t know, the Surface has a screen resolution of 1,366 by 768 pixels. The relatively low resolution screen, especially compared with Apple’s iPad has been the subject of considerable focus as Microsoft has entered the tablet market.

It was previously mentioned that an engineer from Microsoft argued in favor of the Surface, claiming the display outperforms Apple’s iPad Retina display due to the company’s “ClearType” display technology. Steve Bathiche said ClearType maximizes the “perceived resolution” of the surface screen by cutting down on reflections, among other improvements. Soneira’s tests found that the Surface RT does in fact have the lowest screen reflectance of any tablet tested. He found that the third-generation iPad with Retina display reflects 33% more ambient light than the Surface RT, while the Galaxy Tab 10.1 reflects 41% more light. Although the Surface cuts down on reflections, it can’t compete with higher resolution tablets in terms of color gamut. It was found to have 57% smaller color gamut than Apple’s latest iPad. Even though the Surface can’t compete with iPad’s retina display, Soneira did conclude that Microsoft’s tablet has a display superior to the iPad 2.

Overall, Soneira’s test found the iPad Retina display beat out the competition in viewing tests, although its major weakness was found to be a higher reflectance than the Microsoft Surface. The iPad Retina display was given a score of an “A” while the Surface earned an “A-“ and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 was graded with a “B+.” For those of you who are interested in delving more into the quality of the displays involved, you can do so by hitting the source link below.

Source: DisplayMate

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Banned
    Thanks

I think Microsoft did an "Apple".
    In other words, they released a faulty device at a higher price than its really worth.
    But the next device will fix the bugs of the current device but it will have a higher price.
    BUT what is good is there are other manufactures releasing devices that fix the problems with better hardware thats why Windows will always be better than OSX.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NakedFaerie For This Useful Post:

Airwaves182 (11-13-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    In other words, they released a faulty device at a higher price than its really worth.
    But the next device will fix the bugs of the current device but it will have a higher price.
    BUT what is good is there are other manufactures releasing devices that fix the problems with better hardware thats why Windows will always be better than OSX.
    Lmao seriously you have no clue about anything. It's really just sad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Thanks

Are all your comments on this forum idiotic and anti-apple?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Ozzie5374's Avatar
    Thanks

What do you expect from a naked faerie!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Striknine's Avatar
    Thanks

I haven't used the windows tablet more than a few minutes at a local store and it seems pretty nice to me. I'm hoping it takes off and allows us to use the tablet in a day to day business atmosphere. Im an Architect and I try to use my iPad at work, but it gets used more for media consumption. I have both windows and OSX 10.2 laptops at home and use windows more due to the fact I feel more in control with the windows OS. I feel lead down a path when I use apple products for some reason. Don't get me wrong I do use iPad and iPhone daily, but not for business reasons. I could care less about a retina screen if the device doesn't do the job.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That doesn't even make sense. How about you re-read what you wrote and try again.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Striknine View Post
    I haven't used the windows tablet more than a few minutes at a local store and it seems pretty nice to me. I'm hoping it takes off and allows us to use the tablet in a day to day business atmosphere. Im an Architect and I try to use my iPad at work, but it gets used more for media consumption. I have both windows and OSX 10.2 laptops at home and use windows more due to the fact I feel more in control with the windows OS. I feel lead down a path when I use apple products for some reason. Don't get me wrong I do use iPad and iPhone daily, but not for business reasons. I could care less about a retina screen if the device doesn't do the job.
    Osx has come a LONG. Way sense 10.2. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Osx has come a LONG. Way sense 10.2. But we are all entitled to our opinions.
    I had to read his post again when I saw 10.2.LMFAO

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to take away with how nice the iPad screens are, I just don't think the screen resolution should be the only factor driving a decision purchase here. Functionally speaking, my old iPad 2 still works just fine and really don't look that dramatically different than my newer Ipad. The Surface tablets have a lot of new functionality such as Office and USB device support that the iPad does not match.

If you look at the 7" tablets, nearly every other non-apple device has a higher screen resolution, but I think I would still buy a iPad mini over the android tablets for different reasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kcsims View Post
    Not to take away with how nice the iPad screens are, I just don't think the screen resolution should be the only factor driving a decision purchase here. Functionally speaking, my old iPad 2 still works just fine and really don't look that dramatically different than my newer Ipad. The Surface tablets have a lot of new functionality such as Office and USB device support that the iPad does not match.

If you look at the 7" tablets, nearly every other non-apple device has a higher screen resolution, but I think I would still buy a iPad mini over the android tablets for different reasons.
    I watched a video comparing the Nexus & iPad mini. The iPad OS was definitely smoother but the screen was far superior to the Nexus despite having a lower resolution. Colors were brighter while the Nexus was dim.

BTW, the reviewer isn't a fanboy...just subjective!

http://youtu.be/M2F5833tqH8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kcsims View Post

I do agree with most of what your saying. However, the difference I'm screens from iPad 2 to retina is dramatic IMHO. Heck I'm on a mini typing this which has the same resolution as an iPad 2 but in a smaller package. Meaning the pixel density is higher, and I can still see a big difference between this and that of any retina product.

Now obviously i still got the mini (sold the iPad 3 for it) so I do have to agree that although screen is important its not the only factor in a purchase. Plus. From what people say, the retina iPad has one of the best screens out. So it will be hard to beat most likely.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Does the mini ipad cause more bulge in the pants than a Nexus 7? Does it fit better? Is it more or less discreet? I mean I like the fact that the Nexus fits in my pants quite discretely but I was wondering if the mini ipad would "fit" better!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I love how much time you spend on this (considering you are the first person to comment on most articles) to rag on apple. Seriously you are a child, not because of your education etc. Because of your maturity and lack of common sense. You don't know how business is run or how the world works you are still very naive. You don't know what you're talking about. You haven't experienced and learned why a company thrives etc. I don't even think you've had a job, because you lack the knowledge to see the simple fact, apple is one of the most valuable companies because of its products and business. You can't rag on something and say it's broken or bad, when it is working. If apple did 3/4s of peoples accusations they wouldn't be where they are today now would they?

Thanks

I think the Surface tab is a good niche product for people that love PCs. Having office on a tab would be great but when I played with one, I couldn't get over Windows 8. Sorry but yuck.

Screen resolution isn't my determining factor. In fact most good tabs have nice resolution. Options and price are my factors. My iPad2 is kicking butt still and I have no desire for any iPad higher than this. Except maybe a Nexus 10....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dranon View Post
    Does the mini ipad cause more bulge in the pants than a Nexus 7? Does it fit better? Is it more or less discreet? I mean I like the fact that the Nexus fits in my pants quite discretely but I was wondering if the mini ipad would "fit" better!
    Fit in your pants?? What are you wearing some 1997 janco's?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    Fit in your pants?? What are you wearing some 1997 janco's?
    Not trying to be rude AT ALL (so please don't take it that way), but it's JNCO!

Means: Judge None, Choose One

I used to wear them when they first came out and weren't popular. Back then, the label used to say what it stood for!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Not trying to be rude AT ALL (so please don't take it that way), but it's JNCO!

Means: Judge None, Choose One

I used to wear them when they first came out and weren't popular. Back then, the label used to say what it stood for!
    My bad. But my point is how is he fitting that big of a device in his pants. Lol.