Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Awarded Patent for Round-Square Rectangle, Yes, Apple Won a Patent on a Shape

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    damn. I'm going to patent the shape everyone knows as a circle. Then I will sue everyone that eats an orange or has a car as the tires are circles.

This is just pathetic. patenting a shape and getting it. I'm not sure which is more stupid Apple for doing it or the patent office for approving it.
    Ah, but I'd defeat your case as oranges are roughly spherical and car tyres are cylindrical....

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    I know nothing about patent law either. But whatever the ins and outs of it, if the patent is ludicrous Apple is still not to blame. The patent system is.

Personally I think that's valid. Although the terms were already in existence, Apple 'coined the phrase' if you like.
    Not really. The word app has long been used as a shortening of application such as in PortableApps.com

Wowwww. Do not like

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    yes. the patent system is broken. but look at apple's side of things. if they didn't put in for this patent to defend themselves (1) someone else could have put in for it and then sued apple or (2) company _______ could have produced a unit that looked exactly like an ipad physically and gotten away with it.

all companies (that have a clue) file for the same types of patents, keeps the knock-off brands from duplicating something exactly.

yes. it's sad that companies have to do things like this to protect themselves. but this is the system we're stuck with. it's sadder that "news" sites post this information up as troll "news" articles.

disclaimer: i have a fair bit of experience with patents, copyrights and trademarks in the US.
    Don't justify Apple's doing with "others would do it too".
    The thing is other company didn't and Apple did this numerous time in many different countries.
    This is not protecting it's intellectual rights, Apple did this to stop other company from making a tablet!
    If anything Microsoft should be granted the patent for tablet, MS started the whole thing Apple owes MS money for stealing their idea.

the patent is under the design patents but it still shouldn't have been granted because design patent cover ornamental designs, like the shape of the Coca Cola bottle and other unique shaped products.

another issue is it even goes against UPSTO's own design patent application guide:

Quote Originally Posted by UPSTO
    design patents to any person who has invented any new, original and ornamental design for an article of manufacture
    Quote Originally Posted by UPSTO
    Improper Subject Matter for Design Patents

A design for an article of manufacture that is dictated primarily by the function of the article lacks ornamentality and is not proper statutory subject matter under 35 U.S.C. 171. Specifically, if at the time the design was created, there was no unique or distinctive shape or appearance to the article not dictated by the function that it performs, the design lacks ornamentality and is not proper subject matter. In addition, 35 U.S.C. 171 requires that a design to be patentable must be “original.” Clearly a design that simulates a well-known or naturally occurring object or person is not original as required by the statute. Furthermore, subject matter that could be considered offensive to any race, religion, sex, ethnic group, or nationality is not proper subject matter for a design patent application (35 U.S.C. 171 and 37 CFR § 1.3).
    and seen as a rounded rectangle is well-know and used in a lot of things and is not a unique design, this patent is invalid

Edit: if Appl£ has patented a rounded rectangle that is plano-convex then maybe it won't be much of an issue

Edit: I found this which could mean it's not for just a rounded rectangle
    Last edited by dsg; 11-08-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Every monitor, and tv I have in my house is a rectangle with round corners.
    This patent should not be allowed. Apple didn't invent it that's for sure. Most phones are rectangle shape, rounded corners. Some are more rounded than others. This is going to be a huge mess if Apple actually pushes this.
    Last edited by Cokeman; 11-08-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

There is a driod tablet that is the spitting image of a iPad! Only diff is a slot for memory cards! Can't remember it's name but was for sale in PC world here in the uk

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple tries to get money from whom ever violate their patten so next few more year they dont have to product any idevice but still make profit from sueing otther companies LOL

-triangle_tablet.png

brace yourselves, pyramids are coming

you need to brush up on patent law before starting in with the snarky comments.. specifically a "design patent". this is nothing new, and companies apply for these every day. just typical apple bashing without understanding what you're talking about.
    Yep. ignorance and lack of understanding patenting and trademarks can mislead a lot of people...

They are so biased its unbelievable. Either they favor apple or make them look bad, when in reality this is a basic patent most companies have. It's not the shape as much as design.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Old news!!!

But hey - go Triangles!!!!!!

You know who should sue the sh!t out of Apple is the original tablet with rounded corners. First introduced in the 1950's and then in 1988 as a device with an actual LCD display that could play games with cartridges. Most of us have used it at one point in our life. The Etch a Sketch.

Here's a link. Etch A Sketch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sure its low tech. But how low tech will the iPad seem in 25 to 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Yep. ignorance and lack of understanding patenting and trademarks can mislead a lot of people...

They are so biased its unbelievable. Either they favor apple or make them look bad, when in reality this is a basic patent most companies have. It's not the shape as much as design.
    Lol you kind of contradict yourself there.

Maybe they should also patent each letter in the name: i, p, a and d.

Banned
    Thanks

you need to brush up on patent law before starting in with the snarky comments.. specifically a "design patent". this is nothing new, and companies apply for these every day. just typical apple bashing without understanding what you're talking about.
    apple and no other company should have been awarded a patent such as this--even more so with apple since they have a habbit of filing for and being awarded "broad and vague" patents so that any device infringes.

all this will do is encourage apple to file for more frivolous and baseless patents in an effort to harm competition--cause lets face it, apple will do anything and everything to hinder competition.

they need to charge the patent more like $10k annual fees each or no annual fee to patents that is open to anyone.

This is a good measure. Because just in a few years every country in the world can start their own patenting laws and start suing US companies like Apple. I know that many Indian products were patented in and by US which is ridiculous. If they are going to allow patents for square, rectangle and circle, no one is going to accept those patents. First they must define what is the 'new and unique' thing about a patent application. It does not mean that if someone claims for the first time, they become the owners of that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12