+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Microsoft Plans to take on iPad mini with Gaming-Focused "Xbox Surface" Tablet

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
...
  1. #1
    MMi Staff Writer Akshay Masand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,905
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 122 Times in 107 Posts

    Default Microsoft Plans to take on iPad mini with Gaming-Focused "Xbox Surface" Tablet


    According to a new report from The Verge, Microsoft is preparing to launch its own 7-inch tablet, similar to the way Apple did with its iPad mini. Instead of the new tablet being a smaller version of its recently launched 10-inch Surface tablet, Microsoft is rumored to be working on a gaming-focused device running a scaled down version of Windows instead, titled “Xbox Surface.”

    The specs for the upcoming device were supposedly leaked back in June with the leak being considered accurate. The plans have since evolved though with some changes present:

    The Xbox Surface will likely include a custom ARM processor and high-bandwidth RAM designed specifically for gaming tasks. We're told these specifications could be altered to accommodate an unannounced Intel SoC and that the Xbox Surface is being developed independent of specific hardware architecture. Microsoft's Xbox Surface won't run a full version of Windows, rather this 7-inch tablet will run a custom Windows kernel. Messaging and other tablet functions may be supported, but the focus is on gaming.
    Microsoft is also said to be working on the project with strict secrecy, even going as far as locking down several buildings on its campus as it apparently brings teams on to develop games and other software for the device. Furthermore, Microsoft is also said to be planning for production of the device to take place at the same facilities being used for the larger Surface rather than using contract assembly companies such as Foxconn or Pegatron.

    With the iPad dominating the tablet market, this attempt seems like a desperate one from Microsoft but with the right specs and integration with the Xbox 360 console gaming and Xbox platform, the new tablet might just sway more dedicated gamers such as myself over. What are your thoughts of a gaming-focused Microsoft tablet?

    Source: The Verge

    Twitter: @AkshayMasand

  2. #2
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I personally dislike Microsoft with a passion, but I think a gaming tablet, especially with the name 'Xbox' will turn a lot of heads. Now saying that, Microsoft is really going to have to step up their game and plan this out perfectly in order to get anywhere near the iPad. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

    I mean for all of those with an Xbox 360, how cool would it be if you could turn off your Xbox, pack up your tablet and a controller in your backpack, then continue playing Xbox Live at your friends, at school, ect. But I highly doubt this "Xbox Surface" will feature full console games you see on the Xbox today. The idea is definitely something awesome, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    another overpriced device

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak? thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,172
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

    Dumb...

  5. #5
    The Unknown Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 997 Times in 628 Posts

    Very neat concept. It's about competition here people.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts

    They better go hard with this i dont wanna see some half *** call of duty game like on ios, if you can actually pack this up and pick up ur game from where u left off on xbox this will def outsell ipads

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,438
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 185 Times in 145 Posts

    It's quiet annoying the way the first sentence in the article above implies Microsoft has plans for a 7" tablet only in response to Apples iPad Mini.

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak? thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,172
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

    It's only for games!?!?! To me, it's not competition...it's narrowed-down electronics. Despite what a lot of people on MMI might think, the majority of the world DOES NOT play video games or even care about them!!!

    This product will only appeal to a small population and I can't see how they're going to make money off of this unless it doubles as a tablet running Win 8

  9. #9
    What's Jailbreak? Tony9592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Microsoft > Apple

  10. #10
    My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    603
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    It's only for games!?!?! To me, it's not competition...it's narrowed-down electronics. Despite what a lot of people on MMI might think, the majority of the world DOES NOT play video games or even care about them!!!

    This product will only appeal to a small population and I can't see how they're going to make money off of this unless it doubles as a tablet running Win 8

    I agree. Especially with how console sales are right now. However, the consoles on the market all need to be "refreshed." I would think an "XBOX" based Surface, if anything, would be more geared towards competing with the new Wii U. But either way, I highly doubt we will see this product, if it even makes it to the market, competing with the iPad or any other Tab.

  11. #11
    The Unknown Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 997 Times in 628 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony9592 View Post
    Microsoft > Apple
    What a very constructive comment.

  12. #12
    iPhoneaholic scroogelives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    413
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Not sure where the market will be for this product! I have loads of games on my iPad and they are played little and norm kill boredom but I think microsofts real problem will be price point for the games and I think it will basically be a giant psp like system and it will have its fans but they maybe limited most likely because the games don't meet the expectations or the price is typical of Microsoft ie too expensive!!

  13. #13
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    It's a good idea but I don't think it will be enough to take down the iPad family (iPad 3/iPad MIni/iPad 4). A lot of kids/teens and some adult gamers might/will find some reason for it for the compatibility of the Xbox 360 consoles. Every person in the world is not a gamer therefore Microsoft won't necessarily make as much of a profit off of Apple consumers. If the report is true about the ability to turn off your console, turn on your (XBS) tablet and continue your unfinished game, I think it's clear to say Microsoft can't/won't be competing with Apple and instead would be competing with Sony with the PS3/PSVita compatibility of continuing a game on the go.

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak? thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,172
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

    I don't know about you all but I wouldn't want to carry a tablet around that just plays games!!!! I barely carry my iPad around and it can have a thousand more functions than this thing.

    Besides...how lame would someone be that pulled this thing out in public to play 'their' game all by themselves?!?! Thats not cool or convenient; just stay home, instead...

    Quote Originally Posted by thatboy12345 View Post
    If the report is true about the ability to turn off your console, turn on your (XBS) tablet and continue your unfinished game, I think it's clear to say Microsoft can't/won't be competing with Apple and instead would be competing with Sony with the PS3/PSVita compatibility of continuing a game on the go.
    That would be cool!


    ...if I was 12


    ...and my mom drove me to my little sisters ballet practice!
    Last edited by thazsar; 11-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.

  15. #15
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    I agree. Especially with how console sales are right now. However, the consoles on the market all need to be "refreshed." I would think an "XBOX" based Surface, if anything, would be more geared towards competing with the new Wii U. But either way, I highly doubt we will see this product, if it even makes it to the market, competing with the iPad or any other Tab.
    In the sentence where you talked about the Nintendo Wii U, I kinda agree but then I don't because when you look at it wouldn't it look like:
    iPad 3 and iPad 4 - Microsoft Surface
    iPad Mini - Google Nexus/ Amazon Kindle
    Wii U - Microsoft SmartGlass
    Wii/Wii U - Xbox Kinect - PSMove

    XboxSurface - PS3/PSVita (compatibility)

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I don't know about you all but I wouldn't want to carry a tablet around that just plays games!!!! I barely carry my iPad around and it can have a thousand more functions than this thing.

    Besides...how lame would someone be that pulled this thing out in public to play 'their' game all by themselves?!?! Thats not cool or convenient; just stay home, instead...



    That would be cool!


    ...if I was 12


    ...and my mom drove me to my little sisters ballet practice!
    Lol

  16. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    245
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I don't know about you all but I wouldn't want to carry a tablet around that just plays games!!!! I barely carry my iPad around and it can have a thousand more functions than this thing.

    Besides...how lame would someone be that pulled this thing out in public to play 'their' game all by themselves?!?! Thats not cool or convenient; just stay home, instead...



    That would be cool!


    ...if I was 12


    ...and my mom drove me to my little sisters ballet practice!
    Dude you made like 4 different comments of you talking shittt about this! Stfu & get a life. You should of left after your first comment.
    P.S. ROMNEY 2012

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak? thazsar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,172
    Thanks
    434
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 936 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    Dude you made like 4 different comments of you talking shittt about this! Stfu & get a life. You should of left after your first comment.
    P.S. ROMNEY 2012
    Hahahahaha!!! Who are you...the comment police?!?! Maybe u got offended - are you the 12yo I was talking about?

    BTW, I have a life! A wife, 3 kids and I worked 12 hrs today in brain surgery...what did u do???

    Only thing we agree upon is Romney for 2012; although I barely made it to vote cuz I've been WORKING my butt off the last two weeks. Not sure you can say the same...

  18. #18
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    762
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    There is only one touch screen device that I like to play games with and that is the Nintendo DS just because it has a physical controller.

  19. #19
    The Unknown Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    427
    Thanked 997 Times in 628 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    There is only one touch screen device that I like to play games with and that is the Nintendo DS just because it has a physical controller.
    I'd have to go with the Vita.

  20. #20
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Raybeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts

    Default Haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Hahahahaha!!! Who are you...the comment police?!?! Maybe u got offended - are you the 12yo I was talking about?

    BTW, I have a life! A wife, 3 kids and I worked 12 hrs today in brain surgery...what did u do???

    Only thing we agree upon is Romney for 2012; although I barely made it to vote cuz I've been WORKING my butt off the last two weeks. Not sure you can say the same...
    Hahahaha! Hopefully thats true about you being a brain surgeon, sounds kinda fishy...

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts