Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Seeks to Embarrass Apple's iPad Mini in New Marketing Push

[QUOTE=gehjl;6705295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    Also good job on picking the largest possible phone and case when comparing sizes? 5.3", that seems about the average screen size of an Android phone. I can only imagine the phones that are larger than that average. It's not like the iPhone with an otterbox case doesn't look like a brick....
    Coming from a company who is making a 4" Samsung galaxy and calling it a mini lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=gehjl;6705295]
    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post

No problems with my One X here. But please continue selling people iPhones. Androids aren't for everyone and iPhones aren't for everyone. It's personal preference.

Yes, there is a device that will always get the newest updates, the Galaxy Nexus. That's the only phone supported by Google, the rest are left to the manufacturers. Also good job on picking the largest possible phone and case when comparing sizes? 5.3", that seems about the average screen size of an Android phone. I can only imagine the phones that are larger than that average. It's not like the iPhone with an otterbox case doesn't look like a brick.... The galaxy note found a pretty successful niche in the community, you either love it or hate it, and I do plan on possibly picking up the note 2, but back to the size point every single person with an iPhone 4/5 that I know has said my phone is not that big. Just wait till Apple expands the screen horizontally, then the boards can finally admit just how awesome it is.

Actually NFC would be even more useful to me, if AT&T would allow it. I have vending machines on my floor at work that accept NFC, CVS, Chik-fil-a, gas stations, McDonalds, and I know I've seen them at other places. All I would have to do is take out my phone, tab the NFC part and pay with Google Wallet, but AT&T has decided to create their own payment service using NFC: Isis. Once they finish testing in Texas, it should be here by the end of the year. Regardless, NFC has been getting used on Verizon and Sprint with Google Wallet.

To get back to my original point about the iPad mini: How can Apple release a tablet with specs a year and a half old and charge an arm and a leg for it, then say the other 7" tablets suck? But the icing on the cake is how you all are defending it, saying we don't need more than this. I wonder just how many of those people own the new iPad and an iPhone 5.

You want Apple products, fine it's your choice. I bought my mom an iPhone because it'll be easier for her to use. I like to tinker, so I have an Android, it's really what fits your needs most. But please stop defending this under spec'ed tablet. The entire world knows that if Samsung, instead Apple, would release this exact tablet, at the same exact price, at the same time, the entire world would laugh at it. You all said it yourself, the reason Apple can get away with this is because of the App Store. Those days are long gone, there isn't any useful app in the App Store that doesn't have an equivalent in Google Play. Well done defending the shafting Apple is rolling out to consumers.
    I'm sure your one of the guys who got all over apple for not having LTE in their 4S a year ago now your talking about the nexus getting all the OS updates but guess what? The new nexus does not have LTE. Did you stand in line for your moms iPhone just like in the S3 commercial? The one with the apps? Lol jk..My opinion I feel apples App Store blows away googles play store from interface to app selection still. Apples tablet app selection is second to none. I never said the One X was a bad phone just pointing out the glitches I see in all android phones I don't see in iPhones. I have seen some freezing issues in the One X though. The only time I see phones needing a restore it is always a android. Apple doesn't shaft me, I not only repair their phones on the side and make extra money but sell my old one when a new one comes out thus not eating much cost if any at all. I'm sorry they didn't put a a6 chip or retina in the new iPad mini but it will still have better engineering(form factor) then any of the other tablets in its class. Im sure the display will be nice as well. a5 chip is not slow ether. It's also going to have the LTE option which most tablets in its class don't have or the iPad 2 didn't for that matter(what everyone is comparing it to). Not to mention these iPhones hold their value better then the androids. S3($450)on Craigslist is going for about a hundred bucks more then the 4S($350) which is a year old. I would compare it to the 5(up to a grand) but I'm sure you will say the S3 is older with no supply and demand so 4S will do. I will say them releasing a iPad 4 six months after the three was ridiculous with a faster chip and a lightning connector. That's what every one should be griping about. I own a 3 and won't be upgrading that. AT&T hands me every new android/windows phone that comes out to try and I don't like them. In fact I cant use a iphone on my company line just my personal lines and have no problem paying for them(iPhones)because i have to lol..It's all preference like you say..I'm just saying what I observe doing this for a living from my experience in the wireless industry(10 years). I will say android has done a remarkable job gaining ground on apple over the years since apple settle bar in the smart phone and tablet world.

[QUOTE=Italia411;6705319]
    Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    I'm sure your one of the guys who got all over apple for not having LTE in their 4S a year ago now your talking about the nexus getting all the OS updates but guess what? The new nexus does not have LTE. Did you stand in line for your moms iPhone just like in the S3 commercial? The one with the apps? Lol jk..My opinion I feel apples App Store blows away googles play store from interface to app selection still. Apples tablet app selection is second to none. I never said the One X was a bad phone just pointing out the glitches I see in all android phones I don't see in iPhones. I have seen some freezing issues in the One X though. The only time I see phones needing a restore it is always a android. Apple doesn't shaft me, I not only repair their phones on the side and make extra money but sell my old one when a new one comes out thus not eating much cost if any at all. I'm sorry they didn't put a a6 chip or retina in the new iPad mini but it will still have better engineering(form factor) then any of the other tablets in its class. Im sure the display will be nice as well. a5 chip is not slow ether. It's also going to have the LTE option which most tablets in its class don't have or the iPad 2 didn't for that matter(what everyone is comparing it to). Not to mention these iPhones hold their value better then the androids. S3($450)on Craigslist is going for about a hundred bucks more then the 4S($350) which is a year old. I would compare it to the 5(up to a grand) but I'm sure you will say the S3 is older with no supply and demand so 4S will do. I will say them releasing a iPad 4 six months after the three was ridiculous with a faster chip and a lightning connector. That's what every one should be griping about. I own a 3 and won't be upgrading that. AT&T hands me every new android/windows phone that comes out to try and I don't like them. In fact I cant use a iphone on my company line just my personal lines and have no problem paying for them(iPhones)because i have to lol..It's all preference like you say..I'm just saying what I observe doing this for a living from my experience in the wireless industry(10 years). I will say android has done a remarkable job gaining ground on apple over the years since apple settle bar in the smart phone and tablet world.
    Very well said sir. I too have tried android phones most with lag but no freezing. I do agree they have come along way since the Samsung captivate. But I always go back to the iPhone and I'm sticking to it. Fanboy or not apples products work and are the most reliable thing I own.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think this "Ad" does a better job at embarrassing Apple
    Banned iPad mini Promo - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    apple knows exactly what they're doing. they released a half-assed tablet knowing two things.

1. masses will buy it just because its an apple product
    2. they'll release the iPad mini 2 next year and it will have all the things apple withheld this year.

apple wont have anything new and exciting to offer next year so you all will get more of the same. same ol boring OS with a few more Android features, same hardware with minor bump in specs and y'all gonna run out and buy it because its the latest gadget from apple.

at the same time, Google, Samsung and the rest will push out new and exciting never seen before products and features, apple will criticize them for it., patent it, sue then release their version of it 1-2 years later.

why y'all didnt include the quote from Gizmodo about the iPad mini?
    I must agree.

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    I really hate to point something out to Amazon.

163 PPI (Pixels per inch) is considered HD. lol For example a typical 46inch HD TV has only 48 PPI. Although it isn't Retina.
    Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Quite wrong, at 7.9" it would need a ppi of 185 to be considered bare minimum 720p.
    You're both wrong, and so is Amazon. PPI has nothing to do with what is or is not an HD display. What is considered "high definition" is determined by overall resolution, and that's it. At a minimum, HD resolution is 1280x720, which is what the Kindle Fire has. "Full HD" is 1920x1080. Doesn't matter if your screen is 7 inches or 120 inches diagonal. HD is HD no matter what size the display is, as long as the pixels are there.

However for Amazon to claim that the iPad mini is "standard definition" is also completely untrue. 1024x768 isn't true HD, but it's still much better than SD resolution of 640x480, or even wide SD of 854x480 (standard DVD widescreen encoding resolution). 16:9 widescreen content on a 1024x768 display would have to be scaled down to 1024x576. Not true HD, but still loads better than SD.

And then you have all those cinemascope movies (most movies for the past 30+ years) that are 2.35:1 which every display is going to scale down anyway. On an iPad mini it would be 1024x436. On a Kindle Fire it would be 1280x544. On a 1080p television or other display it would be 1920x818 pixels. An iPad 3 will scale it to 2048x872, which is actually more pixels than your HDTV.
    Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 10-30-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

163 PPI (Pixels per inch) is considered HD. lol For example a typical 46inch HD TV has only 48 PPI. Although it isn't Retina.
    ...and I can get Netflix or BBC iPlayer or Sky Go etc etc.
    So this alone kills Amazon's argument, that along side the restricted version of Android, I'd never touch a kindle.
    Really? So if I have a 1" X 1" screen with 163 PPI you think that's a HD screen? LOL
    I really hate to point something out to you
    HD is 1,920 PIXELS 1,080 PIXELS - it doesn't matter the number per inch.

Good try though.

It's all true and will still be true until fapple
    1) makes it more like the iPad 3/4
    2) cut the price so it is actually affordable and not still the price of an iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    It's all true and will still be true until fapple
    1) makes it more like the iPad 3/4
    2) cut the price so it is actually affordable and not still the price of an iPad.
    If you can't afford a $329 tablet from
    Apple then you need to go crawl in a hole. Big deal if It doesn't have retina. It's still quick and it doesn't need all the extra power to open up modmyi. Give it a rest.

Kindle fire is a piece of crap and ios is waaaaaaay better then droid operating system so im wiling to spend extra to get a better product that will last me twice as long as a kindle fire!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8r4life66 View Post
    Kindle fire is a piece of crap and ios is waaaaaaay better then droid operating system so im wiling to spend extra to get a better product that will last me twice as long as a kindle fire!!!
    Wow, do you have any experience with a Fire? Or just an uneducated opinion.
    I have iPhones, iPads, Samsung phones and my GF has a Kindle Fire. Honestly, the Fire is a great device with a very user friendly version of Android. The size is great, the screen is sharp, and the Play store is quickly catching up with all the great titles.
    So speaking from experience I can say the Fire is a very nice device for the money being asked. And with the price of the iPad mini so high, and half of the hardware options of the Fire I say Fire wins.
    To add I am neither a fanboy or fandroid, I am a tech enthusiast that finds opening my eyes to all products and manufactures makes me a very happy non-biased user.

I have expierienced both and ios is clearly supirior to android. fire is a piece of crap compared to iphone, ipod, ipad and ipad mini.

I love that 3 of their 5 bullet points are the same thing: higher ppi display.

And one of them is a straight-up lie: mono speaker on the iPad.

Lastly: I have not idea what the hell "MIMO WiFi" is, but it's no standard i've ever heard of, and I've never, ever encountered an issue with my WiFi devices being the bottleneck of datastreams on my devices. So they can keep their weird wifi mumbo jumbo tech.

If that's the best they can come up with to try to make the Fire HD sound better, they failed spectacularly!
    Last edited by fleurya; 10-31-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,502 Times in 7,090 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I love that 3 of their 5 bullet points are the same thing: higher ppi display.
    lol, I noticed that too

Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post

And one of them is a straight-up lie: mono speaker on the iPad.
    Thought that was odd too, looks like Schiller just confirmed that the iPad mini has stereo speakers too.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    I think this "Ad" does a better job at embarrassing Apple
    Banned iPad mini Promo - YouTube
    Gentleman's rant! Yes! and your right! They make it all painfully clear.

...and I can get Netflix or BBC iPlayer or Sky Go etc etc.

So this alone kills Amazon's argument, that along side the restricted version of Android, I'd never touch a kindle.
    Resolutions determine the fidelity(HD or SD) of an image, not PPI. The more pixels that are available the higher quality the image can be. This isn't exactly rocket surgery.

If you have a 64x64 display with extremely high PPI does that mean its HD? Of course not, it just means the display would be extremely tiny. Squeezing a higher resolution into a smaller space creates a higher PPI by default. The pixels must be smaller to fit into the space.
    Last edited by BIMPtacular; 11-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123