Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Amazon Seeks to Embarrass Apple's iPad Mini in New Marketing Push

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Oh for gods sake, Apple could have run a similar Ad and skewed it in favour of the iPad Mini. In fact they've done the exact same for other products - leaving out the bits they don't excel at or leaving out the bits their competitors do excel at.

It's like the Grand National here with the amount of people on high horses.

It's pretty childish of amazon. It's like Samsung bashing apple too. I thought to myself does google bash Samsung or Microsoft bash amazon I can't find a single thing so correct me I'm wrong. Seems a little jealous or the fact that apple stands out in a crowd so there easy to pick on. I think it's childish

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=gehjl;6705047]All of a sudden screen pixels don't matter? Cmon, like this board wasn't filled with how good retina screens are over the competitors, look at our PPI, and retina this, retina that.

I also remember the fandroids on here knocking the iPhone 4S not having LTE and here we are a year later with more LTE service and androids flag ship phone is lacking in the same department.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3...ot-have-4g-lte

Thanks

I was worried about this from the competition. We all know the iPad Mini is using iPad 2 specs. It is what it is. Im wondering if in six months they will refresh it up to iPad 3 specs with retina and more RAM. Im happy at least the screen size is superior..oh and lets not forget it has iOS to clearly make it the champ just saying :]

The way I see it is if apple just went ahead and thrown in all there latest technology then there would never be a refresh. You wouldn't get updates like we do now. It's a billion dollar company there not stupid. Anyone else think they did this so the next refresh of iPad minis will have iPad 4 specs and a retina?

[QUOTE=Italia411;6705072]
    Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    All of a sudden screen pixels don't matter? Cmon, like this board wasn't filled with how good retina screens are over the competitors, look at our PPI, and retina this, retina that.

I also remember the fandroids on here knocking the iPhone 4S not having LTE and here we are a year later with more LTE service and androids flag ship phone is lacking in the same department.
    Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge
    It's not that pixels don't matter, but rather that Amazon is making one feature look like 3 by simply rewording it. It's the redundancy in this add that is ridiculous.

[QUOTE=Italia411;6705072]
    All of a sudden screen pixels don't matter? Cmon, like this board wasn't filled with how good retina screens are over the competitors, look at our PPI, and retina this, retina that.

Slow lane: why Google's new Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE | The Verge
    But here's another beauty of being a "fandroid", choices. That's why I have my One X. The nexus phone was never the phone with the best specs, it was always about having the pure Android experience without any carrier bloatware or 3rd party launcher. I would never be able to own the Nexus 4 alone because I couldn't go back from LTE. But this is a reoccuring thing with Apple products. When the iPhone 4 came out, this board had articles how 3.5" screen is perfect and it doesn't need to be any bigger and how we don't need LTE, HSPA+ is fast enough. Now the iPhone 5 came out, check out this bigger screen and LTE, Apple is brilliant! Now the people are saying how NFC won't pick up and it has no use. When the iPhone 5s comes out with NFC, brilliant Apple strikes again, how did I ever live without this! I just love how Apple went backwards with their products, charges a huge amount, and calls it wonderful!

And Italia, the form on my Nexus 7 is actually fantastic. If it was wider, it wouldn't fit in my jean pockets which means I can carry it around much easier. And for apps, I can't think of a single app that I'm missing, but let's go ahead and compare my Tegra optimized games against your fantastic iPad mini HD games.

The main reason I'm sure they did the bigger screen and LTE is for a new category for competing with bigger and faster devices. Same reason they released a mini so it can compete with the 7" tablets

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Two words.. APP STORE.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I want to start off by saying that I am an iPhone owner, and I love it much more than any Android OS or Windows OS phone I have ever tried. I started with the iPhone 3G, moved onto the iPhone 4, and I recently upgraded to the iPhone 5. The main reason I choose the iPhone is because the App Store, the incredible responsiveness of the touchscreen, and the multitude of customizations I can make when I jailbreak.

Stating that, I have to say, all these Apple fan boys and fan girls need to stop being hypocrites. First off, I want to address the screen size: Android OS phones have always touted that their screens are larger than iPhones. The iPhone community has always defended that the screen is perfect for the single hand use. Secondly, the screen resolution: Apple has become the company that incorporates their "retina display" into all their devices, from mobile devices, to notebooks, to desktop devices. Now that all the Android OS devices have HD resolution, Apple decides to incorporate previous generation displays onto their "larger screen" iPad Mini. Now the fans are defending that? That is ridiculous.

Wake up and smell the coffee, the iPad Mini has been a major disappointment. Want some proof? The stock market has not treated Apple well all throughout the iPad Mini launch, showing the trust investors have in Apple's "Mini" event.

If you are left with one thing after reading this post, let it be this: Stop being an ignorant fan that will stick with a product despite its obvious inferiority, and show the public that you are an intelligent individual.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaisei For This Useful Post:

Dave_Xiavia (10-30-2012)

hate to sound like a fanboy but... one runs android and the other runs iOS. Contest over.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When Tim Cook say "We don't think they're good products", how else would other tablet makers take it? If you think iPad Mini is good and other's tablet is not a good product it suggests they are inferior. Apple should know people will fire back even if you fire blanks at people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    When Tim Cook say "We don't think they're good products", how else would other tablet makers take it? If you think iPad Mini is good and other's tablet is not a good product it suggests they are inferior. Apple should know people will fire back even if you fire blanks at people.
    This is really the bottom line. None of this really matters, but to be fair, Apple made sure to openly discredit the competition

Banned
    Thanks

apple knows exactly what they're doing. they released a half-assed tablet knowing two things.

1. masses will buy it just because its an apple product
    2. they'll release the iPad mini 2 next year and it will have all the things apple withheld this year.

apple wont have anything new and exciting to offer next year so you all will get more of the same. same ol boring OS with a few more Android features, same hardware with minor bump in specs and y'all gonna run out and buy it because its the latest gadget from apple.

at the same time, Google, Samsung and the rest will push out new and exciting never seen before products and features, apple will criticize them for it., patent it, sue then release their version of it 1-2 years later.

why y'all didnt include the quote from Gizmodo about the iPad mini?
    Last edited by jOnGarrett; 10-29-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks

I really hate to point something out to Amazon.

163 PPI (Pixels per inch) is considered HD. lol For example a typical 46inch HD TV has only 48 PPI. Although it isn't Retina.

...and I can get Netflix or BBC iPlayer or Sky Go etc etc.

So this alone kills Amazon's argument, that along side the restricted version of Android, I'd never touch a kindle.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=gehjl;6705093]
    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post

But here's another beauty of being a "fandroid", choices. That's why I have my One X. The nexus phone was never the phone with the best specs, it was always about having the pure Android experience without any carrier bloatware or 3rd party launcher. I would never be able to own the Nexus 4 alone because I couldn't go back from LTE. But this is a reoccuring thing with Apple products. When the iPhone 4 came out, this board had articles how 3.5" screen is perfect and it doesn't need to be any bigger and how we don't need LTE, HSPA+ is fast enough. Now the iPhone 5 came out, check out this bigger screen and LTE, Apple is brilliant! Now the people are saying how NFC won't pick up and it has no use. When the iPhone 5s comes out with NFC, brilliant Apple strikes again, how did I ever live without this! I just love how Apple went backwards with their products, charges a huge amount, and calls it wonderful!

And Italia, the form on my Nexus 7 is actually fantastic. If it was wider, it wouldn't fit in my jean pockets which means I can carry it around much easier. And for apps, I can't think of a single app that I'm missing, but let's go ahead and compare my Tegra optimized games against your fantastic iPad mini HD games.
    Android has about 10,000 app developers and apple has 4 times that amount which means more selection. On the tablet end they are smart phone apps stretched to fit the screen instead of being optimized for the tablet. Now lets talk about how I work in a AT&T store and the amount of android issues I see compared to iPhone. First your One X is nice but freezes up frequently. It is the only demo phone we have problems with, booting up, freezing ext. I have activated them for customers and had to reboot them because they freeze up. Yeah pretty embarrassing when you just sold it. I will tell you I never have people come in saying they need factory data resets on their iPhones. It's a daily thing with android. The only iPhone issues I get are user error issues. People not tech savvy enough to figure out how to use it broken glass ext. I get bricked androids in my store for something as foolish as installing a app but most people don't understand why their phone isn't working properly or why they have already sent it back to the manufacture 2-3 times already. I also see many more people switching from android to iPhone, usually never vice versa. I also never see iPhones returned, returns are always android. Now what you call choices I call unfair. I see iPhones that are 3 and half years old still supporting the latest operating system. I don't think their is a single android phone from 2010 maybe 1 (for now) from 2011 that supports the latest android operating system and I'm talking 4.0 not 4.1. Talk about ripping your customers off. Upgrade and you too can support the latest OS (for six months). The 3.5 or the 4 inch display are a lot easier to hold then android devices. I used a note for less then a week and couldn't do anything while I had that huge thing in my hand. Put it in a otter box it looks like you have a VCR attached to you. I think apple made the LTE decision at the right time, when their was actually some decent coverage (which their still isn't enough IMO). HSPA+ is way faster then the competitors 3G. Last NFC, lets here how currently it makes your phone so useful and now that you have it you can't live with out it and use it everyday.

[QUOTE=Italia411;6705179]

Android has about 10,000 app developers and apple has 4 times that amount which means more selection. On the tablet end they are smart phone apps stretched to fit the screen instead of being optimized for the tablet. Now lets talk about how I work in a AT&T store and the amount of android issues I see compared to iPhone. First your One X is nice but freezes up frequently. It is the only demo phone we have problems with, booting up, freezing ext. I have activated them for customers and had to reboot them because they freeze up. Yeah pretty embarrassing when you just sold it. I will tell you I never have people come in saying they need factory data resets on their iPhones. It's a daily thing with android. The only iPhone issues I get are user error issues. People not tech savvy enough to figure out how to use it broken glass ext. I get bricked androids in my store for something as foolish as installing a app but most people don't understand why their phone isn't working properly or why they have already sent it back to the manufacture 2-3 times already. I also see many more people switching from android to iPhone, usually never vice versa. I also never see iPhones returned, returns are always android. Now what you call choices I call unfair. I see iPhones that are 3 and half years old still supporting the latest operating system. I don't think their is a single android phone from 2010 maybe 1 (for now) from 2011 that supports the latest android operating system and I'm talking 4.0 not 4.1. Talk about ripping your customers off. Upgrade and you too can support the latest OS (for six months). The 3.5 or the 4 inch display are a lot easier to hold then android devices. I used a note for less then a week and couldn't do anything while I had that huge thing in my hand. Put it in a otter box it looks like you have a VCR attached to you. I think apple made the LTE decision at the right time, when their was actually some decent coverage (which their still isn't enough IMO). HSPA+ is way faster then the competitors 3G. Last NFC, lets here how currently it makes your phone so useful and now that you have it you can't live with out it and use it everyday.
    I don't disagree with much you said, but I work for a company that had done a lot of R&D and eventually worked very closely with AT&T in a market that just received LTE, and we are currently working closely with Verizon as they are brand new to the same market. I have tested and worked with many, many devices over the last 3 years working with AT&T, and I was lucky enough to be able to test and work with a One X earlier this year, and I bought one. The 2 guys I work with everyday, and travel with, they also own One X's. The phone is outstanding. It really is. Maybe it's just your handset.

Quote Originally Posted by moribo View Post
    I really hate to point something out to Amazon.

163 PPI (Pixels per inch) is considered HD. lol For example a typical 46inch HD TV has only 48 PPI. Although it isn't Retina.

...and I can get Netflix or BBC iPlayer or Sky Go etc etc.

So this alone kills Amazon's argument, that along side the restricted version of Android, I'd never touch a kindle.
    Quite wrong, at 7.9" it would need a ppi of 185 to be considered bare minimum 720p.

Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    Here is the real side by side comparison. Amazon did a good job picking and choosing specs and conveniently left out important specs.
    Copy editing Amazon’s Kindle Fire vs. iPad mini ad | iHacksRepo
    1. Larger screen lower resolution = ****** quality, doesn't downscale 720p read that clearly and slowly, it plays HD content period.
    2. Who gives a crap about international content
    3. How many languages do you read in?
    4. Movies are easily copied to an android device without a convaluted piece of software telling me what files i can and cannot use on a device "I" bought.
    5. Not compatible with ibooks or itunes, I would consider that a bonus feature
    6. Hardware not available in as many countries - this does not say what the device is capable of and yet somehow the original kindle fire put a big dent in ipad sales, what does that say.
    7. Handful? someone forgot how to count, its Android - you root it and you have access to hundreds of thousands, even on its own there are several thousand apps.
    8. A matter of opinion, which appears to be a very uneducated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    It's pretty childish of amazon. It's like Samsung bashing apple too. I thought to myself does google bash Samsung or Microsoft bash amazon I can't find a single thing so correct me I'm wrong. Seems a little jealous or the fact that apple stands out in a crowd so there easy to pick on. I think it's childish
    Amazon hasn't bashed anyone, they did not write they article, simply reposting it as a form of education to its perspective customers is not wrong.
    Last edited by bry2k2; 10-29-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Quite wrong, at 7.9" it would need a ppi of 185 to be considered bare minimum 720p.

1. Larger screen lower resolution = ****** quality, doesn't downscale 720p read that clearly and slowly, it plays HD content period.
    2. Who gives a crap about international content
    3. How many languages do you read in?
    4. Movies are easily copied to an android device without a convaluted piece of software telling me what files i can and cannot use on a device "I" bought.
    5. Not compatible with ibooks or itunes, I would consider that a bonus feature
    6. Hardware not available in as many countries - this does not say what the device is capable of and yet somehow the original kindle fire put a big dent in ipad sales, what does that say.
    7. Handful? someone forgot how to count, its Android - you root it and you have access to hundreds of thousands, even on its own there are several thousand apps.
    8. A matter of opinion, which appears to be a very uneducated one.

Amazon hasn't bashed anyone, they did not write they article, simply reposting it as a form of education to its perspective customers is not wrong.
    Prospective.

[QUOTE=Italia411;6705179]

No problems with my One X here. But please continue selling people iPhones. Androids aren't for everyone and iPhones aren't for everyone. It's personal preference.

Yes, there is a device that will always get the newest updates, the Galaxy Nexus. That's the only phone supported by Google, the rest are left to the manufacturers. Also good job on picking the largest possible phone and case when comparing sizes? 5.3", that seems about the average screen size of an Android phone. I can only imagine the phones that are larger than that average. It's not like the iPhone with an otterbox case doesn't look like a brick.... The galaxy note found a pretty successful niche in the community, you either love it or hate it, and I do plan on possibly picking up the note 2, but back to the size point every single person with an iPhone 4/5 that I know has said my phone is not that big. Just wait till Apple expands the screen horizontally, then the boards can finally admit just how awesome it is.

Actually NFC would be even more useful to me, if AT&T would allow it. I have vending machines on my floor at work that accept NFC, CVS, Chik-fil-a, gas stations, McDonalds, and I know I've seen them at other places. All I would have to do is take out my phone, tab the NFC part and pay with Google Wallet, but AT&T has decided to create their own payment service using NFC: Isis. Once they finish testing in Texas, it should be here by the end of the year. Regardless, NFC has been getting used on Verizon and Sprint with Google Wallet.

To get back to my original point about the iPad mini: How can Apple release a tablet with specs a year and a half old and charge an arm and a leg for it, then say the other 7" tablets suck? But the icing on the cake is how you all are defending it, saying we don't need more than this. I wonder just how many of those people own the new iPad and an iPhone 5.

You want Apple products, fine it's your choice. I bought my mom an iPhone because it'll be easier for her to use. I like to tinker, so I have an Android, it's really what fits your needs most. But please stop defending this under spec'ed tablet. The entire world knows that if Samsung, instead Apple, would release this exact tablet, at the same exact price, at the same time, the entire world would laugh at it. You all said it yourself, the reason Apple can get away with this is because of the App Store. Those days are long gone, there isn't any useful app in the App Store that doesn't have an equivalent in Google Play. Well done defending the shafting Apple is rolling out to consumers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast