+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreaking iPhones is Legal Under DMCA but Jailbreaking iPads is Not

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by NakedFaerie Care factor? 0 as I'm not in the USA. And the iPad is MINE so I will jailbreak it if I want. Well, when a jailbreak
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Care factor? 0 as I'm not in the USA.
    And the iPad is MINE so I will jailbreak it if I want. Well, when a jailbreak becomes available I will.

After I buy a product no matter what it is as soon as i hand over the cash its MINE and I will do what I like with it. NO law will stop me. Its MINE NOT YOURS.
    The problem is that this might stop the jailbreak developers from releasing tools for the iPad. As far as I know, this doesn't mean that jailbreaking iPads is illegal; it means that releasing jailbreak tools is. But perhaps they could release it everywhere but in the US?
    Last edited by Zokunei; 10-27-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    This ruling seems a bit murky to me as well. I responded to a request (here?) to submit reasons for allowing jailbreaking my phone to the Librarian. I'm glad to see that at least that was upheld. Since I only addressed my phone in my statement, I really had no input to the Librarian re iPads. However, it seems odd that anyone can mess with a phone or an iMac but not an iPad. As to unlocking, I never had a need for that, but when my two years just ran out with AT&T, it unlocked my i4 with no muss/no fuss. I had planned to sell the 4 and buy a 5 but am holding off until/if an untethered jb is released.

As to WHY Apple continues locking the devices down, I have no answer. Corporate policy, fear of reverse engineering (good luck with that!), whatever, it really does seem short-sighted. Though with sales the way they are, I don't expect Schiller to have a sudden epiphany and declare all devices "open."

I have jailbroken both my iPad 1 and 3, but reverted both to stock. Just didn't feel the same need to jb as I do with my phone. Running iOS 6 on my 3 (no more updates for the 1) and it works well. Do I still think the slider and the dumb black bars on the Lockscreen are uglier than a lying politician's harridan wife? Yes. But I can live with them. The iPad just isn't as... personal... to me as my phone is.

Your milage may vary.
    Just so you guys know the iPad was
    Not added to the last ruling as well
    Because it was not out then so if jailbreaks still come out for the iPad
    You can do it at your own risk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

So I jailbreak my iPad. I have no pirate software on there. Just some tweaks and themes.

The damn Popo get me! What sort of punishment will I get?

Makes the world so much safer these laws. Screw you know, protecting people, lets target geeks sat at home!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    So I jailbreak my iPad. I have no pirate software on there. Just some tweaks and themes.

The damn Popo get me! What sort of punishment will I get?

Makes the world so much safer these laws. Screw you know, protecting people, lets target geeks sat at home!
    I'm not sure no statement was made about that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Modding life View Post
    I'm not sure no statement was made about that
    Can imagine anything but a small fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

You wouldn't even get a small fine ... are you kidding? The cops could care less .... They don't care about pirated music movies apps etc. (unless your distributing them)... So I highly doubt they care about your jailbroken iPad ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ferris419 View Post
    You wouldn't even get a small fine ... are you kidding? The cops could care less .... They don't care about pirated music movies apps etc. (unless your distributing them)... So I highly doubt they care about your jailbroken iPad ...
    oh what a FAIL THE COPS DO CARE There is a law states downloaded unauthorized copy-righted works is illegal

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

They will go after the developers not the users more then likely. I doubt the developers will be releasing iPad jailbreak software because of this. I hope I'm wrong but I don't want to see any of these guys who have freed our devices for years risk their freedom.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Here's a problem I already see from this: items other than phones that have a cellular capability. Half of the iPads have this, various Nooks, Kindles, and ebook readers, as well as many other tablets. Most of the above are locked to a specific carrier (and iPads are still somewhat locked if CDMA is concerned). Since the unlocking exemption was allowed to expire, what happens if someone who wants to get their Kindle Fire HD or PS Vita unlocked (or other device that isn't sold by the carrier but locked down due to exclusivity rights). I think that's what is screwed up about this. They should have kept those exemptions as they were and added the exemption list to include a list of devices that can be updated regularly. The FCC could've been in charge of the list even.

Eh, oh well. It's not going to change my intentions on jailbreaking my iPad or rooting my friends' Android tablets as needed. I don't sell the tools for profit, so they couldn't really charge you for violating the DMCA without reasonable proof.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Italia411 View Post
    They will go after the developers not the users more then likely. I doubt the developers will be releasing iPad jailbreak software because of this. I hope I'm wrong but I don't want to see any of these guys who have freed our devices for years risk their freedom.
    You are wrong about that remember limewire not just developers got arrested but users too
    And I also fear If developers still jailbreak iPads then it may become illegal for iPhones and iPod touches
    😔too
    Last edited by Modding life; 10-27-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks

The way I see jailbreaking as a whole, in the words of Bart Simpson:

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

Thanks

This isn't about legal and illegal. It's about what is an exemption under the act.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    This isn't about legal and illegal. It's about what is an exemption under the act.
    And what is not covered in the act is illegal then, hence the branching off from the original topic...

Thanks

Yep, jailbreak an iPad, go to jail!!!!

Seriously? No one's going to get thrown in jail for this. It's a threat aimed at developers, and as long as the authorities are busy catching terrorists, bank robbers, rapists, and white color criminals (well, that last one was just a joke), I think you and your iPad are safe. And if you ARE thrown in the hoosegow, I'll send you a cake with a USB thumbdrive in it (mild 21st century humor).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I do what i want. i paid 400+ for this ipad i will put whatever i can on it apps tweaks themes all music isnt from itunes all the movies arrnt from itunes .

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Modding life View Post
    You are wrong about that remember limewire not just developers got arrested but users too
    And I also fear If developers still jailbreak iPads then it may become illegal for iPhones and iPod touches
    😔too
    I think it's safe to say our developer friends should all around stay away from releasing software to jailbreak iPads for their freedom and ours I'm sure most of us use our phones more and should be grateful that we can still jailbreak them without legal retribution on both sides.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

And this will stop absolutely no one once a JB becomes available.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iH85CH001's Avatar
    Thanks

Well... I guess I won't be getting an ipad anytime soon...

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Care factor? 0 as I'm not in the USA.
    And the iPad is MINE so I will jailbreak it if I want. Well, when a jailbreak becomes available I will.

After I buy a product no matter what it is as soon as i hand over the cash its MINE and I will do what I like with it. NO law will stop me. Its MINE NOT YOURS.
    So, you are the owner of every iOS that Apple release too?
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Our legal system totally works.