Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft: Apple's $329 iPad Mini is a "Recreational Tablet"

Thanks

Default Microsoft: Apple's $329 iPad Mini is a "Recreational Tablet"

After debuting Windows 8 on Thursday, Microsoft’s Steven Sinofsky offered his view of the PC industry, stating that PCs represent a great value when compared to “recreational tablets” alluding to Apple’s new iPad mini. Sinofsky ended up telling AllThingsD that Microsoft has been able to work with its hardware partners to drive down the prices low enough to where students can get a computer good enough to last them through college.

According to Sinofsky, “These are fantastic machines. It’s $279. Here we are, talking about seven-inch recreational tablets for $329.” (The fantastic machine he was referring to was one of the many reasonably-priced Windows 8 laptops shown at Microsoft’s event). Although he didn’t refer to the $329 device by its name, he was referring to the iPad mini of course, which went up for pre-order just yesterday. The pricing was originally considered to be a bit on the high side but the pre-orders for all white and silver models sold out after being available for less than one hour.

Microsoft claims that it manages to offer laptops at prices below that of tablets because “it’s not just discounting. It’s engineering work that drives the cost down.” The new operating system is seen as a significant release by Microsoft as it attempts to bridge the gap between tablets and PCs. Sinofsky did admit that Windows 8 can’t be everything to all people despite being seen as a “PC for everyone.” Sinofsky also took the time to defend against Cook’s comments about the Surface being “compromised and confusing.” He said that while the iPad may be well-suited for something like a short getaway, Microsoft’s Surface can “suffice” on longer business trips.

We’ll have to see what consumers think of devices when they reach the hands of the public.

Source: AllThingsD

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Its tempting to try the new windows but I would stick with Apple for now. Not just because its what everybody seem to like, but I believe Apple is more user friendly, and I love how easy to manage my documents across different devices. I must admit though that the Asus Taichi looks sophisticated running with windows 8. Oh well, technology advancement and competition is good, but it is also good to be content of what you have and can afford right now. Its worst spending beyond your means. Good luck to Microsoft!

I personally am a huge fan of the Metro UI in W8 and windows phone. The Surface would most likely be my second tablet choice.

Thanks

Im into technology as a whole not just Apple products. Although Apple is usually top on my list for ease of use. My job ordered two of these to test. Can't wait till we receive them. I'll definitely let you all know what i think of it. We are awaiting the new iPad Mini's as well. Should be fun :]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Really looking forward to getting my hands on the Surface. Was is Bellevue yesterday and couldn't get away to the MS store.
    Finally some real competition for Apple.
    Only benefits us consumers in the long run.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Im into technology as a whole not just Apple products. Although Apple is usually top on my list for ease of use. My job ordered two of these to test. Can't wait till we receive them. I'll definitely let you all know what i think of it. We are awaiting the new iPad Mini's as well. Should be fun :]

I couldn't agree more

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HeliPilot View Post
    Really looking forward to getting my hands on the Surface. Was is Bellevue yesterday and couldn't get away to the MS store.
    Finally some real competition for Apple.
    Only benefits us consumers in the long run.

Every time another company comes out with a tablet, someone says something close to the same thing..

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I personally am a huge fan of the Metro UI in W8 and windows phone. The Surface would most likely be my second tablet choice.
    I liked my wife's windows phone. The table would probably be good too. But people forget that there are hardly any apps (or any good ones for that matter) for the windows phone. That's why she switched to iPhone.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    Every time another company comes out with a tablet, someone says something close to the same thing..
    I can understand your position, but this is truly different. Not just another Android tab trying to copy Apple but a real OS in tablet form. If MS plays their cards right this could be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by AdonisBlue View Post
    Windows 8 Suface is much more than any Android tablet or any other tablet that has come out though. I think windows hit a home run with the Surface and Windows 8.

Quote Originally Posted by holyshnikes View Post
    I liked my wife's windows phone. The table would probably be good too. But people forget that there are hardly any apps (or any good ones for that matter) for the windows phone. That's why she switched to iPhone.
    Do u guys remember when apple introduce mac(osx)? ppl says there are hardly any games to play... well, i guess windows is paying the price for that now... android is doing pretty well thou...

windows 8 sucks... for now most of the old peripherals like printers and **** don't have drivers. bummer.

I like the opening line on this story where it states "good enough..." I don't know about you but I do not want an adequate device I want something that is more than just value for money, something that is an "innovation". Something with a wow factor and not just a device. I want something with aluminium and a retina display that is so gorgeous I would like to have babies with it. I also want a device that can survive a fall while at the same time being as thin as a notepad. All of the above are reasons why I will not be investing in a cheap windows 8 laptop/computer/tablet etc as well as the fact that there probably isn't a big app store like on idevices and macs, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    I like the opening line on this story where it states "good enough..." I don't know about you but I do not want an adequate device I want something that is more than just value for money, something that is an "innovation". Something with a wow factor and not just a device. I want something with aluminium and a retina display that is so gorgeous I would like to have babies with it. I also want a device that can survive a fall while at the same time being as thin as a notepad. All of the above are reasons why I will not be investing in a cheap windows 8 laptop/computer/tablet etc as well as the fact that there probably isn't a big app store like on idevices and macs, etc...
    Woah man, that's some nice zealotry you have for your Apple products. Sure I like some of them, but I don't want to have kids with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Woah man, that's some nice zealotry you have for your Apple products. Sure I like some of them, but I don't want to have kids with them.
    Lol you do know what sarcasm is right

Besides even if I was that passionate about my Apple products how would something like that even work...

Quote Originally Posted by aidanharris View Post
    Lol you do know what sarcasm is right

Besides even if I was that passionate about my Apple products how would something like that even work...

I LOVE my apple products, but with time and the possibility of developers writing apps for w8 I would at least demo it to understand what else is out there. But to think the surface could replace the iPad or to downplay the iPads impact isn't well thought out of microsofts part.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait, Gazoo works for Microsoft?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -gazoo-good.jpg  
    Last edited by javiert30; 10-29-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

My iPhone is a Part of Me jonkjon's Avatar
    Thanks

Very 60's "Star Trek"ish thing happening here .....just say'n

I just think its too big of a change for MS. Have a feeling there will be a lot of people wondering "what happened to windows?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast