+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Schiller Staunchly Defends iPad Mini Price Tag

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Although the rumor mill was right about Apple developing an iPad mini, most were flat out wrong about the price tag that is coming with the pint-sized iPad. On Tuesday,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Schiller Staunchly Defends iPad Mini Price Tag

Although the rumor mill was right about Apple developing an iPad mini, most were flat out wrong about the price tag that is coming with the pint-sized iPad.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the ultra slender device with a 7.9" display. But the grand reveal came with a bit of an unexpected sticker shock. As MMi reported yesterday, the new iPad mini starts at $329 for the Wi-Fi only, 16 GB model. The cellular version, of course, is more at $459.

The low-end scale of price estimates had the iPad mini costing somewhere between $199 and $249, although many analysts thought the device would be priced at $299 as we approached Tuesday's media event. The $329 price tag caught most by surprise, although Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has gone public to staunchly defend the cost of the tablet.

"The iPad is far and away the most successful product in its category," Schiller tells Reuters. "The most affordable product we've made so far was $399 and people were choosing that over those devices." According to the Apple executive who unveiled the iPad mini yesterday, consumers are willing to pay for a premium product and shouldn't expect anything called an iPad to play a pricing war with inferior products.

"And now you can get a device that's even more affordable at $329 in this great new form, and I think a lot of customers are going to be very excited about that," Schiller concluded. "Others have tried to make tablets smaller than the iPad and they've failed miserably," he said yesterday.

Source: Reuters

"The Chuck Bass of Theming" k.nitsua's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,214 Times in 2,596 Posts

I agree with the price tag. Also leaves a nice $80 price cut for when this becomes last year's model and is still sold alongside the next generation.
    #eli7e revived me

Banned
    Thanks
    Frankly, I think the iPad Mini's price point is spot-on considering the ridiculous price of the iPad to begin with. Every version of the Mini is exactly $170 less than its 10" counterpart. If you're already into getting raped by Apple's high prices on EVERYTHING, then $170 off of a $499 price tag for a screen just 2 inches smaller should make your rear not hurt as bad.

Shut up and stop complaining. All you idiots that keep paying Apple's ridiculous prices are the direct cause of this. If it wasn't for my company buying me every Apple product I own, then the only Apple product I'd own would be my Apple TV, the only Apple product that is worth its price.

Banned
    Thanks

Everyone I speak to wont be getting one, If they want an iPad they get an iPad. If they want something smaller they get an iPod.
    Its priced too high to be any competition to other 7inch tablets so its a flop even before its available.
    If they really wanted it to be popular they should've had it at a lower price. At that price it will be the last tablet people will buy.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iPad Mini Retina Display coming in 6 months LOL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to feidhlim1986 For This Useful Post:

Breezer23 (10-24-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    I don't much care for the price point given it's mediocre specs. Yes, specs aren't everything, but 512MB's of RAM is a huge letdown. Games that are going to push this thing to the max are going to be starving for RAM.

I'd really like to see some new (useful) features come to iOS. It's getting a bit stale and blackberrish.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think they should have tried launch at $299. It would have given it such a boost and ended up in millions of kid's stockings for Christmas

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Everyone I speak to wont be getting one, If they want an iPad they get an iPad. If they want something smaller they get an iPod.
    Its priced too high to be any competition to other 7inch tablets so its a flop even before its available.
    If they really wanted it to be popular they should've had it at a lower price. At that price it will be the last tablet people will buy.
    Yeah, i was hearing this around the office, too, for the most part (only 1 person admitted to planning to get one or even wanting it). However, it won't surprise me at all if the same folks that are currently saying "No, thanks" today will be whipping one out of their pockets by Christmas. Wasn't there a concensus similar to this when the original iPad debuted (and then proceeded to sell like gangbusters)?

Thanks

First the iPod touch Price was raised to $299 and now a IPad mini is priced at 329. Tim your ******* up. When Steve was here he was able to lower the iPod touch down to $199. Now tim raised it to 299. I don't think they will move much.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The price /vs value for my money says I'm not buying one. I'll wait patiently for the next version.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RokeSmoreMeefer View Post
    Frankly, I think the iPad Mini's price point is spot-on considering the ridiculous price of the iPad to begin with. Every version of the Mini is exactly $170 less than its 10" counterpart. If you're already into getting raped by Apple's high prices on EVERYTHING, then $170 off of a $499 price tag for a screen just 2 inches smaller should make your rear not hurt as bad.

Shut up and stop complaining. All you idiots that keep paying Apple's ridiculous prices are the direct cause of this. If it wasn't for my company buying me every Apple product I own, then the only Apple product I'd own would be my Apple TV, the only Apple product that is worth its price.

I completely disagree with your arrogant views. Your just a cheap eejit.
    For what you get is a damn good price. Enjoy your other useless tablets for a cheaper price. You get what you pay for

iPhone? More like MyPhone Italia411's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    +1
    Then in six months this model will be outdated

What's Jailbreak? Soldierboykillm's Avatar
    Thanks

Are people really complainin about $30??

Thanks
    Thanked 8,564 Times in 2,038 Posts

the main problem i see with the ipad mini is that people can get a different tablet the same size for cheaper and get a higher resolution display than what the mini offers. this is the reason i think it fails but thats just me. why take a step back from retina in a new product just to offer it in the next upgrade?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy1234 View Post
    I completely disagree with your arrogant views. Your just a cheap eejit.
    For what you get is a damn good price. Enjoy your other useless tablets for a cheaper price. You get what you pay for
    Indeed, I do get what I pay for. You, on the other hand, don't. Call me arrogant and cheap all you want. At the end of the day you're the idiot that overpaid, not me.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    I don't much care for the price point given it's mediocre specs. Yes, specs aren't everything, but 512MB's of RAM is a huge letdown. Games that are going to push this thing to the max are going to be starving for RAM.

I'd really like to see some new (useful) features come to iOS. It's getting a bit stale and blackberrish.
    right!!
    I guess we know Apple's game by now.

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    yeah i think people will be disappointed to see how quickly their iPm is outdated.
    Last edited by Reymago23; 10-24-2012 at 05:03 PM.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboykillm View Post
    Exactly. Save that when you buy on Black Friday at bestbuy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboykillm View Post
    Yes! There is a retail "Only $299 consumer psychological price barrier" and apple missed it!

Google and Amazon clearly have an opening especially if they easily out spec the iPad mini at a lower price
    This will be a "miss" and longtime Steve acolytes will say, "see, Steve never wanted a Phablet in the first place." watch...

Thanks

yeah the price is a little steep(should of been between 250-275 dollars for the base model),but im still buying one since i was going to buy an ipod touch 5thgen for 299 dollars. mainly will be used for entertainment purposes and when i don't want to use my ipad2.i also like the size of the ipad mini for using inn my car.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its clear that Apple were never going to release a $/200 iPad regardless of its size & memory. If it had the retina display & an A6X chip like the new iPad 4th Gen will do then it would have been pushed to again the more expensive price bracket. iPad Mini's main function seems to be to obviously match the exact iPad 2 specs with a little extra boost in certain areas to make the iPad 2 obsolete. Looking at the Apple site you can't even find the iPad 3 but then again why would you want to buy that when its the same price bracket.