+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Meet Apple's New 'iPad Mini'

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
As universally expected today, Apple unveiled the iPad mini just moments after the curtain was similarly raised for the 4th generation iPad. Consistent with the rumor mill this summer, the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Meet Apple's New 'iPad Mini'

As universally expected today, Apple unveiled the iPad mini just moments after the curtain was similarly raised for the 4th generation iPad.

Consistent with the rumor mill this summer, the iPad mini is a pint-sized powerhouse of an Apple tablet that delivers a 7.9" display and is just 7.2mm thin. The price, however, is a bit higher than some had hoped. The new iPad mini starts at $329 for the Wi-Fi only, 16 GB model. The cellular version starts at $459.

The iPad mini is less than half the weight of the last iPad and weighs just 0.68 pounds with its pencil-thin frame. As expected, the iPad mini comes in both black and white.

The iPad mini packs an A5 chip, the much-desired FaceTime HD camera, 5-megapixel iSight camera, LTE connectivity and super speedy Wi-Fi. Per the new Apple playbook of installed features, the iPad mini comes with the Lightning connector and even matches the 10-hour battery life of the 4th generation iPad announced just moments ago.

Preorders for the iPad mini start this Friday with WiFi versions shipping first.

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not really sure about the ipad mini though.

Thanks

I'm surprised at how many people doubted the iPad mini would be announced today... Rumors they all said... Well here it is... The rumor mill was right...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can't justify a full sized iPad, don't think I'd use it enough, the price of the iPad mini is ideal and a smart move allowing it to run all the iPad 2 apps without scaling. Roll on Friday

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Damn price is out of my comfort zone but typical of Apple. Nexus 7 sort of set the bar for small tablets, imo. Or at least, I had hoped.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was planning on upgrading from my old kindle fire this holiday season. I was pretty sure I would've upgraded to an ipad mini if it was a better resolution than the 1074x768. Now I'm not so sure. The $329 price doesn't really help it's case either.

Thanks

I guess we are all going to be skeptics of it as most of us have owned all three already. Now we have a 4th gen and a mini. The 4th gen has the same A6X chip that the 3rd gen has..? I didn't buy the retina display iPad i own the iPad 2 and didn't see the reason to buy it. Glad i waited, now at least i can reduce the size if i choose. Can't wait to see and test one :]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I guess we are all going to be skeptics of it as most of us have owned all three already. Now we have a 4th gen and a mini. The 4th gen has the same A6X chip that the 3rd gen has..? I didn't buy the retina display iPad i own the iPad 2 and didn't see the reason to buy it. Glad i waited, now at least i can reduce the size if i choose. Can't wait to see and test one :]
    I think the A6 is from the iphone 5, not the 3rd gen ipad.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Faster chip? Interesting, but not a dealmaker. The ipad line may be hitting the point where older ones are just good enough for 99% of the users (ipad2 still feels snappy, don't see the need to get something newer, especially since my eyes can't see the pixels anymore!). I think that apple needs to focus on new useful features (better audio, e.g., stereo speakers rather than the puny mono one that even points in the wrong direction). The ipad mini is a nice entry, but the price point seems out of touch with the current reality (which is that android devices have proven to be good enough). They should have kept it under $300. Besides, the price to add 3G is absurd! (and without 3G you do not get GPS, a NECESSARY feature which Nexus 7 has in the WiFi device).

iPhone? More like MyPhone qbnucca's Avatar
    Thanks

I've have the iPad 2 and 3 and would like a mini for school because if it's size, but $329 that's a deal breaker. What was said earlir is true they should be working on a new speaker system, the iPad 3 speaker isn't even as good as the iPad 2. They also should've realeased a game controller, I don't think people have complained enough that android tablets can use controllers but the iPad can't this is unacceptable. Siri still needs a better update, and so does ios6 maps. Steve jobs is surely missed because I'm sure there would've been more innovation with today's event.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to wait until next year and grab myself the iPad mini 2 and iPhone 5s at the same time (if they make either of these devices and give the mini 2 a retina).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Tech specs from apple's site says it has the A5 processor. I thought it was supposed to have the A6? Im confused
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,851 Times in 858 Posts

I guess I'll pre-order mine...crap!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    Tech specs from apple's site says it has the A5 processor. I thought it was supposed to have the A6? Im confused
    4th gen ipad gets a6x. iPad mini gets a5

Also I'm blown away at how many people were surprised at the price tag. Lol. Did everyone really think the iPad mini would be cheaper than the new iPod touch???

What's Jailbreak? dennisdionisio's Avatar
    Thanks

Might give it a try.

Thanks

75 bucks cheaper woulda been great. guess it was too much to ask for, its not really gonna compete with the Kindle Fire at that price.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Man, that's really too bad. I really thought it'd be $250 or at LEAST (EDIT!) under $300. I may be going with the Fire HD. Also...on Apple's site, the 2nd gen iPad is still $399 and this new "4th gen" iPad is $499...where is the 3rd gen iPad?

I feel like all of these models are letting apple get away with some shady pricing.
    Last edited by captainmccool; 10-23-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdionisio View Post
    Might give it a try.
    Ok now im even more confused. Is there two new ipads being released? A mini and a regular sized 4th gen?
    And the mini is cheaper, its $329.
    Apples taste good. PwnApples taste better!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kickerman65 View Post
    A5 = iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G, iPad 2, iPad Mini
    A5X = iPad 3
    A6 = iPhone 5
    A6X = iPad 4

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by captainmccool View Post
    Man, that's really too bad. I really thought it'd be $250 or at LEAST under $200. I may be going with the Fire HD. Also...on Apple's site, the 2nd gen iPad is still $399 and this new "4th gen" iPad is $499...where is the 3rd gen iPad?

I feel like all of these models are letting apple get away with some shady pricing.
    Wtf you thought it was going to be 200?? Lmao this blows my mind that people thought the price was goin to be lower than iPod touches lol.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast