+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft: The Surface Display is of Higher Quality than that of the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Microsoft: The Surface Display is of Higher Quality than that of the iPad

Although Microsoft’s new Surface has a lower resolution screen than the Retina display on the new iPad, Microsoft engineer Steve Bathiche argues that the Surface still offers a superior picture quality because of “ClearType” display technology. According to Bathiche, Microsoft’s ClearType maximizes the “perceived resolution” of the 1,366 by 768 pixel display found on the new surface. His comments were made in a Q&A session on Reddit this week.

Bathiche said the following regarding the matter:

The amount of light in a room and the reflections of the screen have a huge effect on the contrast of the display. In fact, a small amount of reflection can greatly reduce contrast and thus the perceived resolution of the display.

With ClearType Display technology, we took a 3 pronged approach to maximize that perceived resolution and optimize for battery life, weight, and thickness.
    The Microsoft engineer continued on to explain that the Surface display reflects anywhere between 5.5% and 6.2% of light, while the new iPad reflects a larger amount of light (roughly 9.9%). According to him, when compared side by side, many people claim to see more detail on the Surface RT than the iPad.

It should be noted that Bathiche did seem to “struggle” for an answer when asked why Microsoft decided to offer a higher resolution display with the forthcoming Intel-based Windows Pro Surface. He responded by saying that the extra screen real estate with the Surface Pro might help in office presentations.

Upon its release in March, the Retina display on the new iPad has been claimed to be a major improvement from the previous iteration of the device while also being given the crown as being the highest quality screen available on a mobile device. In addition to offering an increased resolution, Raymond Soneira, a display expert with DisplayMate said that the iPad Retina display offers state of the art sharpness and color saturation. We’ll find out if Bathiche’s statements are true or fictitious when benchmarks start rolling in for the Surface in the near future.

Source: Reddit via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

OOOh. When is this thing out? i need zero of them.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

I read an article that states the 16g versions are already sold out. However the larger versions are still available at "launch." I'm interested to look at it though. I don't have any hopes for it other than people saying its the next best thing, and because it has a USB Port it's better than ice cream. I guess we will see.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 689 Posts

I realize this an Apple site but guys look at the big picture, if MS does have a good product it may force Apple to change course on somethings, who knows. Good competition is important for innovation and the consumer. I hope MS Surface turns out to be a winner.

I just wish Apple was a little more open. I love my iPad3. I am using a BT keyboard and magic mouse with it, right now. This makes the iPad3 the best of all worlds. A fast laptop and great mobile device. Just perfect. JBs are key and Apple needs to wink, wink for those of us who want it!!!!
    Last edited by nealh; 10-18-2012 at 07:44 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nealh For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (10-18-2012)

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    I realize this an Apple but guys look at the big picture, if MS does have a good product it may force Apple to change course on somethings, who knows. Good competition is important for innovation and the consumer. I hope MS Surface turns out to be a winner.

I just wish Apple was a little more open. I love my iPad3. I am using a BT keyboard and magic mouse with it, right now. This makes the iPad3 the best of all worlds. A fast laptop and great mobile device. Just perfect. JBs are key and Apple needs to wink, wink for those of us who want it!!!!
    I completely agree with you. I think the iPad 3 will be a huge upgrade because of other competitors in the tablet market. Great Post.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Engineer, behind closed doors:

"well, sh&#, the resolution isn't as good, so go come up with some data to make it sound like it's actually better!"

Thanks

I think in a few generations these Surface tablets could be really cool.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijinboy View Post

"well, sh&#, the resolution isn't as good, so go come up with some data to make it sound like it's actually better!"
    Fail. No engineer would say that, only a manager or marketeer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    Fail. No engineer would say that, only a manager or marketeer.
    Fail, I have heard engineers say stuff like that.

Thanks

Of course MS is going to make certain components of their Surface of "greater quality" that is there only angle. We all know its the OS we like and the sexy sleek design is only a perk not a must have..IMHO. My MS friends are dying to get one of these..i can't wait to compare it to the iPad 3.

Thanks

retina for iPhone is 326 DPI, does anyone know the corresponding figures for the retina iPad and for the Surface?

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Love competition! It always makes it better for me! Love my iPad 3!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    OOOh. When is this thing out? i need zero of them.
    if the surface has a real OS, not a locked down mobile OS, I'll get one. the locked down'ness of ios is why I passed on the iPad.

-peter

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijinboy View Post

I bet it's better lol.

I'm getting the surface simply because of Windows 8. W8 is freaking amazing on touch devices. Now as far as having it on a desktop!! Idk about that but when I played with it in touch devices it was the best mobile OS I have ever seen. Better than IOS and Android.
    Last edited by rockyseay; 10-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks

Microsoft Surface 149 ppi - iPad 3 264 ppi

Thanks

The superior (so they claim) quality of the screen is to make up for the operating system? "Crash"......At last a "surface" to set my iPad on......

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've seen an youtube video with the iPad next to the Surface and it was very clear to me that the iPad's screen quality was much superior than the Surface's.

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

I find it pretty funny that Microsoft is now the underdog to Apple in terms of hardware.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ok, so it's the head engineer...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    if the surface has a real OS, not a locked down mobile OS, I'll get one. the locked down'ness of ios is why I passed on the iPad.

-peter
    W8 for tablets is sadly locked down even more then the iPad, you can only install apps from the windows store and you have to pay extra for the ability to watch videos and listen to music.