+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft: The Surface Display is of Higher Quality than that of the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Originally Posted by spazturtle W8 for tablets is sadly locked down even more then the iPad, you can only install apps from the windows store and you have to pay
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spazturtle View Post
    W8 for tablets is sadly locked down even more then the iPad, you can only install apps from the windows store and you have to pay extra for the ability to watch videos and listen to music.
    Really cant paly videos or listen to music withouut additional costt??? Are they idiots. MS better reassess fast or forget it. They are missing the whole point og a tablet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

W8 for tablets is sadly locked down even more then the iPad, you can only install apps from the windows store and you have to pay extra for the ability to watch videos and listen to music.
    Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    Really cant paly videos or listen to music withouut additional costt??? Are they idiots. MS better reassess fast or forget it. They are missing the whole point og a tablet.
    Spazturtle has no idea what he's talking about. That's not true, you don't need to pay extra money to do that. And only the RT models are restricted to the Windows Store. The Surface Pro uses a full version of Windows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Spazturtle has no idea what he's talking about. That's not true, you don't need to pay extra money to do that. And only the RT models are restricted to the Windows Store. The Surface Pro uses a full version of Windows.
    Windows 8 with have no Media player or center, you have to pay extra for it.

"list of features missing in Windows RT, including Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, Remote Desktop, HomeGroup creation... "
    Also missing the codecs so you will have a hard time finding a free replacement.

And nobody here is talking about the Pro, which won't be released for a while yet.

Thanks

They are claiming the screen is of "higher quality" because it is less reflective. Under this reasoning the screen would be of inferior quality in low light/ indoors situation. I hope the surface is good competition for the iPad but this is pure smoke.

Thanks

Windows 8 with have no Media player or center, you have to pay extra for it.

"list of features missing in Windows RT, including Windows Media Player, Windows Media Center, Remote Desktop, HomeGroup creation... "
    Also missing the codecs so you will have a hard time finding a free replacement.

And nobody here is talking about the Pro, which won't be released for a while yet.
    Even though it is missing those applications, its a far cry from not being able to listen to music. It's not very hard to get codecs on any other version of Windows, so I don't know why it would be difficult for Windows RT. There are a multitude of applications that provide most of the codecs people need to listen to any of their music.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,852 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
    if the surface has a real OS, not a locked down mobile OS, I'll get one. the locked down'ness of ios is why I passed on the iPad.

-peter
    Have fun using apps designed for mouse and keyboard. Not to mention how bogged down these apps will be.

Tablets are tablets.

Thanks

Um, one important point. The RT uses an ARM processor, different architecture, your x86 apps aren't going to work, at all. So don't think you can just load up WinAMP or the like and listen to your MP3's. Even if it is rooted/jailbroken you're still going to have to re-build apps for the processor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Even though it is missing those applications, its a far cry from not being able to listen to music. It's not very hard to get codecs on any other version of Windows, so I don't know why it would be difficult for Windows RT. There are a multitude of applications that provide most of the codecs people need to listen to any of their music.
    But you can only get apps from the windows store and licensee for codecs cost money, so there won't be any free applications.

Thanks

I'm sure it won't be long before someone installs Windows 7 on a Surface haha.

I tried Win8 RP on my home PC and it was a big fat steaming pile of fail. Managed to corrupt my MBR to the point where it reported "No Boot Device Found" even though I had 2 partitions with XP and Win8 RP.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I'm sure it won't be long before someone installs Windows 7 on a Surface haha.

I tried Win8 RP on my home PC and it was a big fat steaming pile of fail. Managed to corrupt my MBR to the point where it reported "No Boot Device Found" even though I had 2 partitions with XP and Win8 RP.
    Windows 7 doesn't run on ARM, the version of Win8 run on the tablets is worse then the desktop version.

Thanks

But you can only get apps from the windows store and licensee for codecs cost money, so there won't be any free applications.
    I don't know where you got your info about the codecs being missing. But according to Gizmodo, the tablets come with their own media player. Just not the Windows Media Player you are used to using.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmodo
    It also doesn't come with Windows Media Player, but that's not a big deal since the onboard media players will handle most of that load.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12