+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Many iPad Sales Will The iPad Mini Cost Apple?

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
It's been a burning question since the concept of an iPad mini was first seriously broached earlier this fall. Just how many regular iPad sales will be jeopardized by the
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default How Many iPad Sales Will The iPad Mini Cost Apple?

It's been a burning question since the concept of an iPad mini was first seriously broached earlier this fall. Just how many regular iPad sales will be jeopardized by the arrival of a smaller, more affordable iPad mini?

On Wednesday, Piper Jaffray analyst and resident Apple watcher Gene Munster put forward an interesting theory. According to Munster, the cannibalization rate will be approximately 20%, which means Apple will likely sacrifice one iPad sale for every five iPad mini sales. In the big picture, of course, that still means Apple will make more money.

Munster thinks the iPad minis will comprise a quarter of the expected 90 million or so iPads that will be sold in total for 2013. As a result, the average selling price of the iPad will likely drop down to $497 from $527. Munster maintains that with the iPad mini about to roll out, Apple will probably sell as many as 25 million iPads this holiday quarter alone.

Apple is widely expected to unveil the iPad mini next Tuesday, October 23rd at a media event in California. MMi will bring you all the details as they emerge from Tuesday morning's eagerly anticipated event.

Source: Wall Street Cheat Sheet

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They will dumb it down with no ambient light sensor, camera and it'll be slower/wifi only. That'll keep people buying the regular iPad. It's like Toyota and Lexus. One has a few more bells and whistles.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    They will dumb it down with no ambient light sensor, camera and it'll be slower/wifi only. That'll keep people buying the regular iPad. It's like Toyota and Lexus. One has a few more bells and whistles.
    Anyone herd what the price for the mini will be.

Has anyone herd what the cost of the mini is going to be?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

How about, I dunno, wait until after the event before continued rumour and speculation about something that still does not exist. Or will we be moving on to the iPad Mini 2 then?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    ... you are dumb for thinking they will make it slower. The point is it will be an ipad with a smaller screen.. sure they might make it wifi only but thats not so people buy ipads instead. Why would they take off one of their biggest selling points facetime and there amazing cameras. They probably wont take the light sensor on a device that will be more than 7 inches big.

people like you think you have figured everything out with apple and its quite irritating, there are somethings that have been figured out but not all that you guys think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    How about, I dunno, wait until after the event before continued rumour and speculation about something that still does not exist. Or will we be moving on to the iPad Mini 2 then?
    Well if we look at the iPhone for idea on that! People where already trying to 2nd guess what the next iPhone will be like before iPhone 5 even hit the shops

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    Anyone herd what the price for the mini will be.

Has anyone herd what the cost of the mini is going to be?
    I ain't rightly hurd nuffin' yet didchoo??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    ... you are dumb for thinking they will make it slower. The point is it will be an ipad with a smaller screen.. sure they might make it wifi only but thats not so people buy ipads instead. Why would they take off one of their biggest selling points facetime and there amazing cameras. They probably wont take the light sensor on a device that will be more than 7 inches big.

people like you think you have figured everything out with apple and its quite irritating, there are somethings that have been figured out but not all that you guys think.
    #TheIrony
    Reminding you all that YOU'RE YOUR

Green Apple
    Thanks

100% sure it will be 199$

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It's design from a business perspective. Cut the competition by making something already amazing more affordable, to dominate the tablet industry. (Even though apple already does!) hehe

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post

You are more dumb and irritating then the person you called dumb and irritating.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't know. What are you asking ME for?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The iPad's too big for me. If they have an option for a mini with the same features as the iPad, I'll buy. So they can only gain a customer out of me.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The thing that will effect ipad sales more than the mini will be what happens 3 days after the mini is announced, Windows surface. The RT version is nothing special, but the Pro version will be capable enough to replace a current windows 7 laptop (minus some storage). That fact alone will draw in the people who have been sitting on the fence about tablets as now they can justify their purchase as "i can get work done on it as well as play etc." Even I, myself (not really a microsoft guy) wish I hadn't splashed out on an ipad3 6 months ago.

Thanks

I heard on HLN today that they will cost around $249.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quite simply, Jobs said it himself...

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will"
    Even if the rumored iPad mini cuts iPad sales the money is still going into Apples pocket.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Biggest drawback I could see with a Ipad Mini is not featuring Retina display. It would have been a deal breaker definitely if Retina is offered with Ipad mini... Afterall Apple is worth Billions to make a small sacrifice for this device alone by losing some money on Retina display for their loyal customers