+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New Report Claims iPad Mini to be Wi-Fi Only

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default New Report Claims iPad Mini to be Wi-Fi Only

According to a report by The Guardian, the upcoming small form factored iPad, otherwise known as the iPad Mini, will not be offered in a 3G-capable version. This report counters the previously released “leaked” parts that clearly showed the black plastic RF panel in the Apple tablet (which points towards cellular-connectivity). The move is one that is said to be a cost-saving measure since 3G wireless connectivity not only increases the up-front cost of the device but also pushes for a monthly fee for data access.

Speculation all points towards highly suspecting that Apple would make such a move to deny the “iPad Mini” the option of cellular connectivity, although we still have yet to see how the company plans to market the device. The same sources also mentioned that Apple is likely to release an updated version of the third-generation iPad, which will adopt the iPhone 5’s baseband chip to offer support for additional 4G support. It’s likely we’ll see Apple’s new Lightning connector as well, with people saying that Apple will continue to expand the new plug’s implementation across future mobile device releases.

Apple’s A6 system on a chip is also rumored to be released as part of the coming refresh of the 9.7-inch iPad as well. It was reported just recently that an unknown iPad running an A6 series processor was found in developer’s access logs. Something like this points towards the possibility of Apple internally testing a refreshed iteration of the iPad.
    We’ll find out soon enough as Apple is said to make an announcement in the month of October.

Source: The Guardian

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I can deal with wifi only. I have new iPad and its only wifi.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

so it's like an ipod touch just a little bigger? ok

Thanks

Default so..
    So is the kindle Fire. It's also only Wi-Fi only. Some people like a smaller iPad. The Samsung Galaxy Tabs we sell here are only Wi-Fi devices also. I to have a iPad3 Wi-Fi only device; makes sense since we just got LTE here in Alaska so why pay for data when i have unlimited on my iPhone & will Continue to have Unlimited Data for as long as I have service with At&t.
    Quote Originally Posted by emmanravalo View Post
    It is Not by our Hands that things Change, BUT rather our Interventions that change ourselves.

Chris iPhone5 16GB(Evasion Jailbreak
    iPad Mini 16GB, Apple TV 3rd Gen
    )
    Mac Mini (2012 Model) Running Mavericks
    Cydia Account #895872

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 683 Posts

I have a wifi only iPad2 and always regretted no 3G service option. I think a wifi only iPad mini is a mistake.
    Problem is Apple can't charge an extra $130 for the LTE version at the lower price point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by emmanravalo View Post
    You forget how greedy Apple is. Different tablet sizes are popular... Apple wants a cut (and then will sue the others for copying them).

Thanks

No it says iPad lol. It's faster and there's a lot of apps that are iPad only.

I hope they put a faster chip in the new iPad. I'm planning on buying one right after they announce it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Typical Apple, 4G will be saved for next years model, the iPad mini 2 with 4G! Wow!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Typical Apple, 4G will be saved for next years model, the iPad mini 2 with 4G! Wow!
    I doubt that they will add 4G as that would add to the price and one of the points of the supposed mini is to be "cheap", that is to compete with less expensive tablets like the Fire or nook Tablet.

Thanks

Maybe the surprise is that its ALSO a phone??? PLEASE....
    Still waiting for the BIGGER Screen!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HomieG35 View Post
    You forget how greedy Apple is. Different tablet sizes are popular... Apple wants a cut (and then will sue the others for copying them).
    Oh because it's greed? Some might say they are trying to actually make a good 7 inch tablet. Oh but other companies aren't greedy by making products.

How is making a product greedy what the hell do you thing a business is?

Thanks

How is that greedy? I consider it just good business sense. Shouldn't they try to make as much money as possible? If there's a market out there for a smaller iPad they'd be fools not to tap into it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

An iPad mini is for people who just want what they can't have. If Apple was to make an iPad mini, you same people would complain about it and then demand something else. It's just how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    How is that greedy? I consider it just good business sense. Shouldn't they try to make as much money as possible? If there's a market out there for a smaller iPad they'd be fools not to tap into it.
    Good business sense? Because you think it's good business Apple should manufacture one? LMFAO

This is my "retard of the day" comment right here.
    Last edited by mustard05; 10-10-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Good business sense? Because you think it's good business Apple should manufacture one? LMFAO
    I'm confused. Are you disagreeing with me, then in the next sentence mocking the post I was disputing, thereby agreeing with me?

Do you think the iPad Mini is a bad idea? If so, why? Do you also think it's a bad idea for TV manufacturers to produce TVs of such vastly different sizes.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    I'm confused. Are you disagreeing with me, then in the next sentence mocking the post I was disputing, thereby agreeing with me?

Do you think the iPad Mini is a bad idea? If so, why? Do you also think it's a bad idea for TV manufacturers to produce TVs of such vastly different sizes.
    That was 2 different questions. Sorry for the confusion.

As for you question.......... An iPad mini is an interesting debate. However is it a good idea? That in all reality can only be answered by surveys and most importantly a cost analysis. Overall it is even more complicated than that.

I have not looked at sales numbers from other company's regarding there smaller tablets. However I do know that iPad is selling at a stellar rate. Even the less expensive iPad 2 is still selling at a great rate. It makes no sense to produce another product that would corrode there own dominance in a specific market. Keep in mind that just because other manufactures are making a smaller more affordable tablet, that does not mean they are profitable. It does not even mean that the market segment is worth the cost. From a business aspect, smaller tablets are just another way competitors are trying to break down Apples market barrier/wall. They are only trying to get your money vs Apple getting it by making a more affordable tablet.Although, it doesn't matter because over time, Apples wall will start to diminish on its own anyway. At some point consumers will all move on to the next best thing and even the all mighty iPad and iPhone will become what is known as "dogs." Obviously at the moment they are "cash cows."

I do eventually expect an iPad mini, but not so soon. I would expect to see it when Apple really starts loosing market share, or the product needs to seriously be updated to capture sales. Hence, we now have iPods available in different colors. I mean do you really think adding colors to the iPod line up needed a serious technological advancement for that to happen?

If they do release one this year I would be surprised and also interested to see how it affects iPad and iPod sales. I do however expect to see one next year. However I am not privy to what there survey's and cost analysis are telling them. In the end we will all find out together.

As for your comment about television sizes, that is irrelevant. The TV market is very saturated and old. It is a very Mature market. It is not a great comparison.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd have to agree with the notion that it dose not make sense to release an iPad mini "yet" and take away from the sales of the current iPads.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Truckerbear's Avatar
    Thanks

I just don't think there is going to be an iPad mini... I wish we would all get a grip.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I remember someone saying 7 inch tablets were dead on arrival.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol you think they're greedy cause you KNOW they will take all the money from them bad tablets lol. "greedy"

Thanks

This is why myWi exists by far the most useful and best purchase I've ever made from Cydia