+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ABC News Tracks Missing iPad to the Home of a TSA Officer

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default ABC News Tracks Missing iPad to the Home of a TSA Officer

ABC News recently set up a sting at various main stream airports by leaving behind a total of ten iPads to see what happens to them when they get into the hands of TSA officers. The sting was originally setup after reports of hundreds of thefts by TSA officers from airports around the country continued to come in. Of the ten iPads, nine of them were returned to their owners as the TSA officers followed agency guidelines and immediately contacted the owners and returned them. Unfortunately, one of the iPads was not returned and instead led to the demise of one TSA officer’s job. You can watch the video of the news below:

This specific iPad was last seen on video in the hands of TSA officer Andy Ramirez and ended up going on a thirty mile journey which was tracked using the iPads location services. ABC News waited for two weeks before turning up at Ramirez’s home asking for the device. Ramirez denied it at first but after ABC News activated the audible tone to assist in finding a lost iPhone and iPad using the Find my iPad app, he had no choice but the produce the iPad in question and turn it over. The worst part about the whole story is that he claimed his wife had picked it up at the airport.

"I'm so embarrassed," he told ABC News. "My wife says she got the iPad and brought it home," he said. Moments later, his wife appeared at the door to say she had found it and "no told my husband." Asked how that was possible given that ABC News tape showed him handling the iPad at the security checkpoint, Ramirez shut the door and has not responded to questions since.
    Not surprisingly, Ramirez was fired from the TSA which claimed it has a zero-tolerance policy for theft from passengers. The company has already terminated the employment of 381 officers over the last nine years and eleven so far this year due to similar issues. The whole story goes to show how beneficial the Find my iPhone and Find my iPad apps can be to help ensure you find your iOS device.

Source: ABC News via Reddit

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Poor guy... I feel bad for him!

It's funny....a few years ago we were watching Chris Hanson perform sting operations busting perverts trying to have sex with little girls...Now we have sting operations busting people for finding/stealing iPads...progression??
    El Zurdo

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iLoveWindows&iPhone View Post

It's funny....a few years ago we were watching Chris Hanson perform sting operations busting perverts trying to have sex with little girls...Now we have sting operations busting people for finding/stealing iPads...progression??
    If your iDevice gets stolen, See how bad you feel for the person who stole it.

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying 'poor guy' if you found your phone had been stolen rom you!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recognition View Post

I'm sure you wouldn't be saying 'poor guy' if you found your phone had been stolen rom you!
    EXACTLY! They'd be preparing the tar & feathers, lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by recognition View Post

Exactly, what an idiot. Obviously he was busted right off the bat when they went to his house he should of came up with a better lie like, "yup, its on me, I was going to turn it in tomorrow, just got side tracked." What a dope. Blinded by love I guess. Bet he watches ABC news every night now that he is jobless.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

surely they can't track you if you turn off 3g network an wifi....right? will they be able to track it even if you fully restore the ipad/iphone? I'm only asking this out of curiosity not promoting it. I would return a lost ipad or iphone to their owners in a heart beat.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    will they be able to track it even if you fully restore the ipad/iphone?
    nope. to the best of knowledge. but think how many TSA or non-tech people know what to do or how to even restore an Idevice/android or even dumb phone?
    Are You Not Entertained! Are You Not Entertained! Is this not why you are HERE!!!!"

Thanks

Shame. All I can say, is Bee eye tee see aitch!

rcm
    Thanks

Even if it's erased you still have window of time from when you leave it to when whoever stole it goes to their home, also if it's registered with apple you can used the imei if ipad's have it to track it down since that number can't be changed.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambi_Valence View Post
    Shame. All I can say, is Bee eye tee see aitch!
    He is lucky that all he lost was his job stupid theif .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty7 View Post
    surely they can't track you if you turn off 3g network an wifi....right? will they be able to track it even if you fully restore the ipad/iphone? I'm only asking this out of curiosity not promoting it. I would return a lost ipad or iphone to their owners in a heart beat.
    Only the police department or Apple can track you even if your location service is off......everything is trackable with the IMEI number....It was announce here at NYC, that police officers are using special technology to locate any stolen iPhone or iPad.....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chessyang View Post
    nope. to the best of knowledge. but think how many TSA or non-tech people know what to do or how to even restore an Idevice/android or even dumb phone?
    I don't think that "Find My iPhone" would be able to track it, but I think AT&T will

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonic View Post
    Exactly, what an idiot. Obviously he was busted right off the bat when they went to his house he should of came up with a better lie like, "yup, its on me, I was going to turn it in tomorrow, just got side tracked." What a dope. Blinded by love I guess. Bet he watches ABC news every night now that he is jobless.
    they waited 2 weeks to prove that excuse doesn't work.

Thanks

The TSA, protecting your gadgets as if they were their own!

Thanks
    Default A sad person

I'm having trouble deciding if you're a troll or a thief. Either way, you're a sad, contemptible person, just like the Ramirez thief is.
    Last edited by tabaks; 09-28-2012 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks

lmao

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

did the guy not think to turn it off? wipe it? I mean come on if your going to steal something at least know how to get away with it, not be defeated by a app like find my ipad/iphone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Poor guy my ***

It seems that you are more upset about perverts getting busted. Bet you felt sorry for them also. Maybe you have something in common with them.

Green Apple
    Thanks

thats why i dont steal **** hahahaha **** that foo......

Green Apple
    Thanks
    deserved what he got. theft is theft.