+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Apple's iPad Continues to Dominate Tablet Market with 98% Browsing Share

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Report: Apple's iPad Continues to Dominate Tablet Market with 98% Browsing Share

A recently released study reveals that the iPad accounts for nearly 98.10% of all web traffic originating from tablets, and 54.5% of all traffic from mobile devices. In its first-ever study, digital publishing tool developer, Onswipe, found that Apple’s tablet represented 98.1% of 29.5 million unique impression over 1200 sites from September 13 to September 20. The massive Apple share was followed by Samsung’s Galaxy Tab and Motorola’s Xoom, which managed 1.53% and 0.21% tablet-based traffic respectively. Amazon’s 7-inch Kindle Fire came in fourth with 0.11%. According to Onswipe CEO Jason Baptiste, “The iPad is clearly a browsing device,” explaining that his company can track device and engagement data via the aptly-named Onswipe platform.

After digging deeper into the results, iPad users spent 56.9% more time per web surfing session than iPhone owners, possibly hinting the tablet’s larger screen size is better for browsing. Another thing that should be pointed out is that the iPad’s 54.5% share of total mobile web traffic, more than doubles the iPhone’s share of 19.05% despite having comparatively fewer units in operation. An interesting bit of information was that the Kindle Fire saw a bump in web content management as users spent 79% more time per page visit compared to iPad users. Amazon’s tablet also generates 138% more page views per visit relative to Apple’s tablet. The results offer a quick look at what may be the future of tablet computing as a number of 7-inch tablets hit the market in the near future.

As far as the operating system share goes, Apple’s iOS owns 75.12% of total mobile content consumption across Onswipe’s monitored network, followed by Android with a 22.3% share. All others accounted for remaining 2.5% of the market share. Baptiste also made a brief follow-up to the study stating that iOS 6 accounted for 40.8% of all iOS traffic for visitors to Onswipe partner sites. Of the 250,000 unique iOS users studied, 56.76% of iPhone users upgraded to iOS 6 compared to the 37.75% of iPad owners.

With rumors of a possible “iPad Mini” launching next month, Apple is likely to continue to dominate the market.

Source: Onswipe

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

This comes as no surprise. If I'm given the opportunity, I much prefer to browse on my iPad. The large retina display is absolutely perfect for casual web browsing. As a matter of fact, it has replaced my MacBook Pro as my primary web browsing device. iPhone on the other hand, is only used when I really need to look something up if I don't have wifi.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    What is the range/scope of onsite?

Quote Originally Posted by r17019 View Post
    What is the range/scope of onsite?
    Oops Onswipe lol

Green Apple
    Thanks
    And in other news- water is wet

Thanks

Honestly I love the iPad 3 and I would be browsing on that all the time but the reason I haven't boughten one is cause I'm always on the go and I wouldn't want to carry a 10" screen all day. But the screen is beautiful to do causal browsing.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow, the iPad is dominating. I believe it though. I never seen someone with another tablet.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Wow, the iPad is dominating. I believe it though. I never seen someone with another tablet.
    I'm sure you believe it. Are you related to this person:
    Waiting for an iPhone 5...for no reason - YouTube

--------------------

The study seems bogus. The source link shows no information. What websites were tracked? Were they heavily geared towards apple? This site shows the iPad having 60% marketshare iPad market share Q2 2012 - iPad market share nears all-time high .I'd like to know how they determined which devices were iPads and which weren't. A lot of older devices use the same UIString as iOS devices.