+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung's Galaxy Tab Mistaken for iPad by over Half of TV Viewers

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung's Galaxy Tab Mistaken for iPad by over Half of TV Viewers

Making your product look similar to the market leader doesn’t always seem to be the right way to go about things and Samsung seems to have experienced this first hand. Samsung discovered this when it aired its first commercial for the Galaxy Tab 10.1, the tablet was so similar to the iPad that half of TV viewers thought it was an Apple product. Only 16% realized it was made by Samsung, which is an even more astonishing statistic.

This is all information according to the latest internal Samsung document that surfaced this week. The document suggests that the Korean company’s Galaxy Tab was so closely designed to the iPad that it had a hard time differentiating it and making customers realize it wasn’t an Apple product. The report, which was submitted as evidence in the Apple vs. Samsung trial this week read the following:

Given Apple’s already strong position in the tablet category, it is critical that attribution of [Galaxy] Tab communications improve and that communication works to differentiate Tab from iPad.
    The report also noted that only 11% of customers “are aware of and can link the Galaxy Tab back to Samsung, while 65% of consumers are aware and can link the iPad back to Apple.” The South Korean electronics giant blames a “lack of awareness of the product” for these figures, and explains that “TV advertising has had minimal impact primarily because of misattribution.”

With evidence such as this along with internal documents revealing that Samsung mimicked Apple’s iPhone, it’s hard to see how Samsung is even fighting back. The company seems to be arguing that the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 wasn’t successful because customers couldn’t even tell the difference between the device and the iPad. If that is the argument you are bringing up for your defense, isn’t something wrong in the first place?

Source: AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me Feanor64's Avatar
    Thanks

omg its a rectangle dude look years ago when u first had pepsi and first had coke how did people tell the difference between them besides buying them and tasting them they looked at the labels and read them lol they used common sense if a person is willing to shell out 400 bucks for a tablet and they cant read a box or watch a whole commercial they dont have any business buying one how do i tell a difference between dryers or tvs or refrigerators this whole argument is just stupid

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    omg its a rectangle dude look years ago when u first had pepsi and first had coke how did people tell the difference between them besides buying them and tasting them they looked at the labels and read them lol they used common sense if a person is willing to shell out 400 bucks for a tablet and they cant read a box or watch a whole commercial they dont have any business buying one how do i tell a difference between dryers or tvs or refrigerators this whole argument is just stupid
    Woah, somebody woke up with a **** up his ***.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor64 View Post
    you r so true man i love ur comment {Like} lol i hope samsung can use ur comment as it does proves a point.
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Green Apple
    Thanks

I recently read a study that said that over half of TV viewers have a form of brain damage that reduces their intelligence.

Thanks

Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

No it doesn't prove any point. His point was coke and Pepsi are the same thing unless you can read the label? One can is blue. One can is red. And they are owned by the same company now. The fact the consumers are mistaking the Samsung pad for the iPad just goes to show the lack of Creativity and design change. And they aren't opening with this argument. Anyone who has paid any REAL ATTENTION
    To this case knows theres a lot more going on. And Samsung is at fault.

If a Pepsi worker one day decided to quit pepsi, take the recipe, slightly tweak it and open a multi million dollar company, I'm sure Pepsi wouldn't be thrilled.

Green Apple
    Thanks

But when you're at a store, you're buying the product with the box right?

Unless it's on display at the store I guess.

Still they do look different to me...maybe I use tech all day.

Thanks

im pretty sure that the commercials they are showing the people in question have no logos, and to an untrained eye, they look similar. On the other hand, there both just glass with a round bezel and metal rim. Pretty much both samsung and apple need to calm the **** down!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Them3this View Post
    No it doesn't prove any point. His point was coke and Pepsi are the same thing unless you can read the label? One can is blue. One can is red. And they are owned by the same company now. The fact the consumers are mistaking the Samsung pad for the iPad just goes to show the lack of Creativity and design change. And they aren't opening with this argument. Anyone who has paid any REAL ATTENTION

If a Pepsi worker one day decided to quit pepsi, take the recipe, slightly tweak it and open a multi million dollar company, I'm sure Pepsi wouldn't be thrilled.
    Do you or any idiotss that can't tell the difference look at the back? Or the sides or the os? Or the box?!

Banned
    Thanks

Well as the iPad was plastered everywhere for years before the Galaxy Tab came out everyone knew what the iPad looked like so when the first Galaxy Tab ads started playing of course people will think its an iPad seeing a tablet.
    My complaint about all this is what about the OTHER branded tablets that look MORE like an iPad than a Galaxy Tab does? You dont see Apple suing Asus or Acer or anyone else only Samsung.
    My reasoning behind this is the Galaxy Tab is actually better than the iPad and Apple dont like that so they sue instead of making the iPad better. Remove the competition instead of making a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by ByteArt View Post
    im pretty sure that the commercials they are showing the people in question have no logos, and to an untrained eye, they look similar. On the other hand, there both just glass with a round bezel and metal rim. Pretty much both samsung and apple need to calm the **** down!
    EXACTLY.
    There are many differences between the two and only a MORON will get them confused.
    1, the boxes 1 says APPLE the other says SAMSUNG.
    2, the shape. One is square (4:3) the other is rectangle (16:9)
    3, the OS. One is IOS the other is Android. They both look different.
    4, one has a button at the bottom, the other doesn't
    5, one is an iPad the other is a Galaxy Tab
    6, Smart people know the difference, lawyers and judges don't.
    Here is only 6 valid reasons why you cant get the two confused.

What about the banning if the Galaxy Tab 7.7? 1 is 10.1 inch the other is 7.7 inch. again 2 different shapes and sizes so HOW did that get banned not even being the same size? They look completely different. The only thing the same is they are tablets and have a screen. Whats next, Apple get the Samsung TV's banned coz they also have a screen and they say SAMSUNG on it? Oh we have to wait for the Apple TV to get released first THEN they will sue them for having a Samsung TV.
    Last edited by NakedFaerie; 08-09-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks

Funny how people are saying use common sense when everyone on here would be able to tell the difference cause we are device junkies so obviously we would know and maybe about 75% of the people would know the difference but there's still a lot of people who can't tell the difference i.e my parents think Samsung tablet is an iPad(don't make them dumb) just out of date.

I wonder if anyone of y'all would be able to tell the difference if you guys were talking about cars or clothing or non-related electronic's or how about business? It will take more then common sense to know the difference if it was a different topic, don't make no one dumb that's just not their speciality. That's how I see.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I guess Apple would have benefitted from the advertising as well without paying the usual exorbitant advertising fees? (so does that mean samsung should sue them for advertising costs?). I agree they need to calm the **** down they can't have it both ways!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Pretty difficult to make a tablet look different, given its pretty much 1 form factor they have to go on. How many desktop boxes look THAT different from another? (ie it's a big rectangular box with a monitor and keyboard attached) and companies don't kick up about this. Perhaps samsung should have made theirs round or triangular?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to docmagoo2 For This Useful Post:

daviedave (08-10-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Them3this View Post

lol I work for Coke they are not owned by the same company. They still competitors. But anything else is true.
    Last edited by javiert30; 08-10-2012 at 12:16 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    Well as the iPad was plastered everywhere for years before the Galaxy Tab came out everyone knew what the iPad looked like so when the first Galaxy Tab ads started playing of course people will think its an iPad seeing a tablet.
    My complaint about all this is what about the OTHER branded tablets that look MORE like an iPad than a Galaxy Tab does? You dont see Apple suing Asus or Acer or anyone else only Samsung.
    My reasoning behind this is the Galaxy Tab is actually better than the iPad and Apple dont like that so they sue instead of making the iPad better. Remove the competition instead of making a better product.

EXACTLY.
    There are many differences between the two and only a MORON will get them confused.
    1, the boxes 1 says APPLE the other says SAMSUNG.
    2, the shape. One is square (4:3) the other is rectangle (16:9)
    3, the OS. One is IOS the other is Android. They both look different.
    4, one has a button at the bottom, the other doesn't
    5, one is an iPad the other is a Galaxy Tab
    6, Smart people know the difference, lawyers and judges don't.
    Here is only 6 valid reasons why you cant get the two confused.

What about the banning if the Galaxy Tab 7.7? 1 is 10.1 inch the other is 7.7 inch. again 2 different shapes and sizes so HOW did that get banned not even being the same size? They look completely different. The only thing the same is they are tablets and have a screen. Whats next, Apple get the Samsung TV's banned coz they also have a screen and they say SAMSUNG on it? Oh we have to wait for the Apple TV to get released first THEN they will sue them for having a Samsung TV.
    Typical Phandroid comment.....I guess you think everyone who isn't into technology that much is just an idiot because they can't tell the difference between two devices that look similar...By the way you don't Jailbreak an Android phone, you root it. JB is much better...not that you care, you just enjoy spending time bashing Apple on and Apple forum, obviously you've got nothing better to do in your life lol!

Apple has this case in their pocket, it's just a matter of time now. Samsung knows what they've done and don't seem to really care. They just wanted to make money off better devices real quick so they copied from Apple. Hopefully this will teach them to innovate more.

Green Apple
    Thanks

S/he kind of has a point though

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Pretty difficult to make a tablet look different, given its pretty much 1 form factor they have to go on. How many desktop boxes look THAT different from another? (ie it's a big rectangular box with a monitor and keyboard attached) and companies don't kick up about this. Perhaps samsung should have made theirs round or triangular?
    i agree

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    Funny how people are saying use common sense when everyone on here would be able to tell the difference cause we are device junkies so obviously we would know and maybe about 75% of the people would know the difference but there's still a lot of people who can't tell the difference i.e my parents think Samsung tablet is an iPad(don't make them dumb) just out of date.

I wonder if anyone of y'all would be able to tell the difference if you guys were talking about cars or clothing or non-related electronic's or how about business? It will take more then common sense to know the difference if it was a different topic, don't make no one dumb that's just not their speciality. That's how I see.

I agree with you, electronics are really easy for us forum geeks to tell apart. But how truly different can one tablet be from another.

One of my bosses has the old school tablet, the pc that flips the keyboard back. Besides the OS and obvious keyboard difference, it seems like the iPAD is an improvement (albeit helluva improvement!) of that pc. Maybe android is trying to improve on the iPAD, they should be allowed to try.

(For the record, I love my iPAD + Numbers app, I use it everyday for work, makes life a lot easier. Plus w/wifi tethering on my iPhone 4, my life is complete)

Quote Originally Posted by r17019 View Post
    So I guess Apple would have benefitted from the advertising as well without paying the usual exorbitant advertising fees? (so does that mean samsung should sue them for advertising costs?). I agree they need to calm the **** down they can't have it both ways!
    you're stretching a bit
    Last edited by daviedave; 08-10-2012 at 12:43 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LivesForJihad View Post
    I recently read a study that said that over half of TV viewers have a form of brain damage that reduces their intelligence.
    You are funny

Thanks

People who argue that, "omg, they cant make a new design!"

You people, are so stupid, it's appalling. Look at Motorola zoom, or any other competing tablet other than Samsung. Each and every tablet, except Samsung, looks unique and different.

Facts have been posted, I suggest you read that. Samsung is clearly at fault, and you guys have nothing to say to disprove that. For those posts saying, people must be really dumb for not looking at the details, well guess what, we are device junkies on tech blogs, obviously it is easy for us. Not all the people out there know the differences or realize what they are looking at. They judge by the appearance at first, and hear the reputation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Coca Cola products and Pepsi Cola products are not the same. The rim of a Coke is 1/2 mm more raised. That's why I drink it so I don't cut my lip. Oh, and Pepsi turns you ***. Look at Jeff Gordon.

Also, off topic here. I get emails of replies on a topic I post in but I rarely check email. It would be nice to see an App update to show in notification center like Facebook on topics I post on or ones that are tagged or saved as a "topic to watch". Just a thought.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 08-12-2012 at 01:40 PM.