Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Windows 8 Buzz Not Bucking iPad Sales for PCs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Windows 8 Buzz Not Bucking iPad Sales for PCs

As fall draws near and the release of Windows 8 looms large, tablet buyers seem largely unaffected and generally not swayed from their preference for Apple's iPad and tablets in general.

On Wednesday, Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes presented a “closer look into factors that are cannibalizing PC sales over the long term,” determining that there will be "no growth in PC unit sales this year because sales of tablet computers are robbing from PC shipments."

Although Windows 8 is shiny and new, consumers also aren't about to stop buying tablets in order to return to the PC world.

Reitzes believes there simply isn’t enough money to go around to support purchases of PCs at the same time that Apple and Samsung Electronics keep tempting consumers and companies with shiny new gadgets.
    "As Apple and Samsung defy the law of large numbers," Reitzes writes, "it could be harder for PC makers to hit estimates (by 2014, Apple could be generating more revenue per quarter than the entire PC market)."

Source: Barron's

Well I'm one for the list of those who are waiting.

-Luke

See I just bought an iPad 3 64gb model but I'm tempted to take it back and see what the surface pro brings to the table or I could just keep my iPad and sell it when the surface comes.

http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post

-Luke
    Me too

Maybe it's because Windows 8 is soon to be the worst OS idea since ME?

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    No, that was Vista. Windows 8 for a tablet is a pretty good design. Not so much for desktops/servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Have you actually used Windows 8? IMO, all the bad hype is blown out of proportion. I use it on one of my HTPCs and it's been great. Easier to use than my Mac Mini and overall just as stable as Win 7 is. I am waiting on the Surface Pro and will be getting one once it's released. I am also waiting on what's coming out for Win8Phones since I am honestly tired of the iPhone. I've been using the iPhone for 5 generations and I think it's now time for a change.

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    Have you actually used Windows 8? IMO, all the bad hype is blown out of proportion. I use it on one of my HTPCs and it's been great. Easier to use than my Mac Mini and overall just as stable as Win 7 is. I am waiting on the Surface Pro and will be getting one once it's released. I am also waiting on what's coming out for Win8Phones since I am honestly tired of the iPhone. I've been using the iPhone for 5 generations and I think it's now time for a change.
    + 1

Thanks

Look what happened to all of the "PowerBooks" that were supposed to challenge one single MacBook Air..they fell flat on there faces. I don't see MS making a huge impact this late in the race. Not to mention they gave up the goods way to early. Part of the reason Apple is so successful is the mysticism they create behind all of their products. The "not knowing" kills us. Lets not forget they make quality products and that's why im a repeat customer. If MS made a better product, i'd buy it..still waiting for that day.

What Microsoft needs to do is market and produce their own products. Not outsource their device designs to companies like Samsung and HTC. Apple does things their own which is why they are so appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    What Microsoft needs to do is market and produce their own products. Not outsource their device designs to companies like Samsung and HTC. Apple does things their own which is why they are so appealing.
    Exactly when will other companies realize an inhouse product is way better than an outsourced one just look at those cheap andriod phones and tablets

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ninja View Post
    Is there a patent for that?

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    Is there a patent for that?
    Haha if there is then Apple will get it granted to them just cuz who they are!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Look what happened to all of the "PowerBooks" that were supposed to challenge one single MacBook Air..they fell flat on there faces. I don't see MS making a huge impact this late in the race. Not to mention they gave up the goods way to early. Part of the reason Apple is so successful is the mysticism they create behind all of their products. The "not knowing" kills us. Lets not forget they make quality products and that's why im a repeat customer. If MS made a better product, i'd buy it..still waiting for that day.
    PowerBooks may not have hit big, but UltraBooks have had a significant impact as a Windows PC compared to MacBook Air. Ultimately (and IMHO), UltraBooks are the sleekness people see in Apple, but with the desktop familiarity of Windows.

I had a chance to see the Windows 8 Surface Pro in action up close. One of the biggest things I noticed, that Microsoft has failed many times at before, was the smooth fluidity of the UI. That functionality combined with the innovative Live Metro Tiles allows Microsoft to finally breach through the true mobile community and make PC completely versatile. Businesses would probably benefit from such an OS instead of the XP workstations that still exist in major corporations.

I'm excited to see its possibilities. It should be interesting. As a PC user, I Look forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by djrbx View Post
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post

-Luke
    +1

I'm waiting too. held off on iPad purchase for a tablet that is more than a simple internet device. iOS and Andriod tablets cannot do what a notebook can do even with all the apps you can get for it. Don't fool yourself if you think there's an app for that. I played with the win8 tablet at the microsoft store and it ran smooooth. everything looks nice and its different from iOS and android for sure. Best part for me is there is a full windows desktop so i can still do all my work, carry all my files, and dl all my torrentz :^D

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 740 Posts

Apple=Ferrari and MS=Ford. You can make Ford handle and goes as fast as a Ferrari, but in the end it's still not a Ferrari! Lmao ;-p

You can copy but its still not a original!

Quote Originally Posted by snap1500 View Post
    I'm waiting too. held off on iPad purchase for a tablet that is more than a simple internet device. iOS and Andriod tablets cannot do what a notebook can do even with all the apps you can get for it. Don't fool yourself if you think there's an app for that. I played with the win8 tablet at the microsoft store and it ran smooooth. everything looks nice and its different from iOS and android for sure. Best part for me is there is a full windows desktop so i can still do all my work, carry all my files, and dl all my torrentz :^D
    And sync all your virus's and spyware from all those downloads lmao ;-p
    Last edited by Carvensno; 08-07-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by izzy1990 View Post
    Exactly when will other companies realize an inhouse product is way better than an outsourced one just look at those cheap andriod phones and tablets
    I have iphone 4s and samsung galaxys3 but how come when im comparing them iphone looks cheap and not to mention ios is very inferior compared to android plus hardware performance?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Enthusiasts are going to be the only ones that wait. Everyone else (about 99% of the tablet buying population) has no idea what Windows 8 is, when it is coming out, or why they would ever want it. Not saying Windows 8 is going to dethrone the iPad, but thinking that its imminent launch not stopping people buying iPads is a sign of anything (other than buyer ignorance) is just silly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast