+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's iOS Platform Takes Lead in Enterprise App Space According to Developers

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's iOS Platform Takes Lead in Enterprise App Space According to Developers

According to a new survey conducted by Appcelerator, the iOS platform has taken the lead in business while Android continues to become more of a consumer-oriented platform. The results from a joint survey of more than 3,500 Appcelerator developers from around the world were announced recently in conjunction with International Data Corporation. The report highlights the changing dynamics in the enterprise mobile application development space, where Apple’s iOS platform has opened up a 16 point lead over Google’s Android among developers who think the iPhone and iPad will win out in business.

Scott Ellison, Vice President of Mobile and Connected Consumer Platforms at IDC said, “the big news is that Apple’s iOS took a dramatic lead over Google’s Android in the enterprise app space. For Developers, Android appears to be evolving more towards a consumer play, which in turn provides a key competitive opening for Microsoft in the enterprise mobile app space.

Based on the survey, 53.2% of developers are saying they believe iOS will win out in the enterprise, compared with 37.3% of developers backing Android. There seems to be a visible shift in the poll when compared to the third quarter of 2011, when developers viewed iOS and Android in a dead heat, with 44% saying each would win out. Appcelerator and IDC said they believe the shift is an attribute of the growing strength of Apple in the enterprise. The reasons that were cited in the report included corporate adoption of the iPad, regular reporting of malware on Android, and challenges in the enterprise associated with Android fragmentation.

An interesting thing to note from the report is the fact that Android’s perceived weakness in the enterprise is a key opportunity for Microsoft, a big player in big business with its Windows and Office software and server tools. As developers lose interest in developing enterprise apps for the Android platform, Microsoft is being put in position to displace Android for second place when it comes to mobile operating systems in corporations. Developers are “cautiously optimistic about Windows 8 tablets.” We’ll have to see how the competition holds up when Windows 8 tablets are released later in the year and as Android continues to try to improve to compete with Apple’s iOS platform (and the devices that come with it).

For those of you who are interested in reading the full report, you can do so by clicking here.

Source: Applcelerator, IDC

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

Its a better product in my opinion. Not to mention I love the fact that there is only one iPad per generation, not 20 like Android. Apple stays on top with one device..says a lot!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Its a better product in my opinion. Not to mention I love the fact that there is only one iPad per generation, not 20 like Android. Apple stays on top with one device..says a lot!
    Exactly.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Agreed, tho that nexus 7 looked pretty sweet, the screen is its downside. i demand removable storage on future ipads.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with the removable storage comment. Nobody should have to pay $100+ extra for the same phone with 8gb more storage that you have to use itunes to transfer data if you aren't jailbroken. Nobody wants to do that. Give me removable memory that i can transfer to my pc in seconds not minutes while having to use itunes. I've seriously been thinking about dumping apple for android for the storage & itunes reason, the overall price, lack of 4G (yes I know the 5 is supposed to have it but they're over a year late), the lack of being able to swap batteries. There are just entirely too many hardware restrictions for the price.

I think the ipads will win out over all others when it comes to business big or small.

3gs ios 5.0.1 untethered corona jb w/ redsn0w

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin8677 View Post
    I agree with the removable storage comment. Nobody should have to pay $100+ extra for the same phone with 8gb more storage that you have to use itunes to transfer data if you aren't jailbroken. Nobody wants to do that. Give me removable memory that i can transfer to my pc in seconds not minutes while having to use itunes. I've seriously been thinking about dumping apple for android for the storage & itunes reason, the overall price, lack of 4G (yes I know the 5 is supposed to have it but they're over a year late), the lack of being able to swap batteries. There are just entirely too many hardware restrictions for the price.

I think the ipads will win out over all others when it comes to business big or small.

3gs ios 5.0.1 untethered corona jb w/ redsn0w
    I've not used iTunes for a while. I either use Mediamonkey or iFunbox. Much quicker!