+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'BetterCenter' Makes iPad's Notification Center Look Better

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'BetterCenter' Makes iPad's Notification Center Look Better

When you open Notification Center on the iPhone or iPod touch, itís nice how the interface fills the entire screen so you can see more of your notifications in one place without all the distractions of what is behind Notification Center when it drops down over your home screen or the application youíre in. On the iPad, itís exactly the opposite. For whatever reason, Apple thought it would be a good idea to make Notification Center small and allow the background contents to distract your eyes while Notification Center is open.

If you hate the busy look of everything showing below Notification Center, try a new free jailbreak tweak called BetterCenter by iOS developer MPow. The tweak forces Notification Center to open at a designated size on the iPad. The tweak is not made for the iPhone or iPod touch. For most, maxing out the tweak to cause Notification Center to take up the whole screen is going to be preferred since the iPad already auto-resizes Notification Center to fit the content.

The tweak comes with a preferences pane where you can select the height of Notification Center when you launch it:

The preferences pane allows you to use two separate sliders Ė one for portrait mode and one for landscape mode. By default, the sliders are maxed out so that Notification Center spans the whole screen. Unfortunately, the tweak doesnít completely fill the entire screen the same way Notification Center does on the iPhone and iPod touch, but it does allow Notification Center to stretch all the way to the bottom of the screen. This drastically decreases the strain on your eyes caused by all the busy colors of your application icons and wallpaper that your eyes have to try and put out of focus to see Notification Center in a desirable way.

Since the tweak works in both landscape and portrait mode, it keeps a consistent design principle. Having the expanded Notification Center is much nicer than having a little sticky-note sized Notification Center hanging down from the top of your screen. Since the tweak is free, itís a nice mod for the iPad that you can try out to see which version of Notification Center you prefer more. Personally, I prefer the way the tweak increases the height of Notification Center.

Name: BetterCenter
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 5, iPad
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: MPow
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Sources: Cydia

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

They are both stupid the stock and this pointless stretched out option.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I don't like it going all the way down. That's why I didn't install IntelliScreenX on my iPad.

Thanks

This is a really cool add on from cydia. Yet one more sign that JB-ing is fundamental. Then you can adjust the size to what you want rather than what SJ wanted. What a despot!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This definitely makes it look worse

Thanks

I like the one tweak that makes it look like the notification center is like the one in mountain lion.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

thats nasty i would rather have it be wider then longer also this too would "distract your eyes" its not like it fills up the entire screen...

Thanks

"Better" is such a subjective term... let's say it makes it look "longer"... we can all agree on that one.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colby21 View Post
    "Better" is such a subjective term... let's say it makes it look "longer"... we can all agree on that one.
    Sure. It's only a difference of opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I like the one tweak that makes it look like the notification center is like the one in mountain lion.
    +1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    Sure. It's only a difference of opinion.
    yeah! Except for the fact that it does... look longer.

Green Apple
    Thanks

That looks stupid.

Thanks

I don't own an iPad anymore but that just looks ridiculous. Good thing its FREE, because I don't know who would pay for that even if they did happen to like it, it's not "better"

Thanks
    yeah this is definitely not "better" looking