+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Qantas to use iPads as New Form of In-Flight Entertainment

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Qantas to use iPads as New Form of In-Flight Entertainment

An Australian airline by the name of Qantas is handing out iPads to all of its passengers (not just those in business-class) on every Boeing 767 aircraft in the fleet. The purpose of handing out the tablets is to provide an in-flight entertainment service called QStreaming, which features more than 200 hours of on-demand content for passengers to choose from. You can find a brief overview of the new QStreaming service below:

The main purpose of the move on Qantas’ behalf is the fact that the 1.5 lb. iPad helps trim down the amount of weight that would normally be needed for a conventional in-flight entertainment system built into the headrest. The difference of weight in the typical B767 would mean that the iPads may pay for themselves within years, if not sooner as less weight means less fuel needed to cover the same distance.

What’s even more interesting here is the fact the Qantas is expected to purchase more than 5,000 iPads to help cover its fleet of jets alone. This leads to larger sales for the Cupertino California company from the get go and it wouldn’t be much of a surprise to see other airlines follow suit here. That being said, Apple’s iPad seems to be gaining ground in a whole new market (for the most part) which it had not been intentionally targeting.

To top it all off, Qantas making the move to provide iPads for customers during their flights wasn’t enough, the company is also in the process of dropping all of its BlackBerry handsets in favor of the iPhone. Here, the airline’s CIO Paul Jones said that the iPhone offers a “user-friendly interface and simple access toe mails, contacts and calendars, as well as meeting all Qantas’ security requirements.” This move helps Apple even more and it isn’t much of a surprise to see a company making this kind of decision.

Source: Qantas via The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks
    The sad truth is that some jerks will steal the iPads of the plane.
    Just pop it in the hand-baggage and there you go.

Qantas should use the standard in-flight entertainment system anyway... used by most long-haul aircrafts today.
    You know, the one that is fitted in the seat infront of you. (as described in the article)
    Picture: http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...7/DSCF3450.jpg
    Last edited by CustomSS1; 07-21-2012 at 03:42 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone LTechTalk's Avatar
    Thanks

That's cool

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post

Qantas should use the standard in-flight entertainment system anyway... used by most long-haul aircrafts today.
    You know, the one that is fitted in the seat infront of you. (as described in the article)
    Qantas already do use the standard in-flight entertainment system. I'm a regular flier and it isn't uncommon for something to be broken on the standard in-flight entertainment system. If the flight is full, which Qantas flights usually are, then you are stuck with no entertainment. Using an iPad instead just means they give you a new one to use instead. This also provides a quick easy maintenance option for them. No need to call in airport maintenance to fix the entertainment system. Just send the iPad off for repair and replace it with a spare. That is another massive saving for an airline.

Will be interesting to see how Qantas prevent the iPads from being stolen though. I haven't been on a 767 recently and seen the new iPads in action.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Qantas already do use the standard in-flight entertainment system. I'm a regular flier and it isn't uncommon for something to be broken on the standard in-flight entertainment system. If the flight is full, which Qantas flights usually are, then you are stuck with no entertainment. Using an iPad instead just means they give you a new one to use instead. This also provides a quick easy maintenance option for them. No need to call in airport maintenance to fix the entertainment system. Just send the iPad off for repair and replace it with a spare. That is another massive saving for an airline.

Will be interesting to see how Qantas prevent the iPads from being stolen though. I haven't been on a 767 recently and seen the new iPads in action.
    Find my iPad? Anybody?...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

vbx
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unless it comes with a seat adapter, I actually think this is a weak idea. I don't want to hold the iPad while I watch something on it. I'd rather it be on the back of the seat in front of me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    That might help find the stolen devices but the comment was about preventing theft in the first place.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm sure those jerks will be charged for the iPad. They wouldn't hand out these things without precautions.

Speaking of, there are plenty of ways for security. The lightest being the same or similar cable Apple uses at its retail stores. Have you ever stopped and actually looked at their visual display? For the best image go in on Wednesday morning when they open and just look at the cable management and storage solutions. It's remarkable that they care so much to design such things. And the iPad signs... Those are powered by the slimmest cable I've ever seen. I can't even remember what it looks like! It's so tiny and so invisible.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomSS1 View Post

Just so you know they are clused stuck to a plastic case and have this Airline headphone jack put in place aswell
    but regeardless Pretty cool i've been using it since the pilot in january this year

Pictures:

Qantas to use iPads as New Form of In-Flight Entertainment-4f28b289798042d59b422c2e767f2254-qs22.jpg
    Qantas to use iPads as New Form of In-Flight Entertainment-4f28b2a46a40414bb76d2e79767f2254-qs24.jpg

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

seized by customs ...
    anyway, the usb connection embedded into each seat works for me. korean air does this.