+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upcoming Tweak 'Banners+' Will Change How You See Notifications On the iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Default Upcoming Tweak 'Banners+' Will Change How You See Notifications On the iPad

iPad owners out there that dislike the way Apple’s banners are implemented should take a look at this new upcoming jailbreak tweak called Banners+ by iOS developer Rudolf Lichtner. Right now, iPad notification banners don't take good advantage of the iPad's large screen and they appear in the top portion of the screen. Banners+ will give you more of a limited Growl-like notification experience on the iPad.

The appearance of the notification from Banners+ is a somewhat dark, transparent bubble with an icon that indicates the application the notification is coming from as well as the name of the person sending the notification to you and a preview of what the notification is about.

As shown above, you can choose the side of the screen that you prefer to have the notification appear on. My own preference is to have the notification on the right side of the screen since we read left to right and having a banner appear where text could potentially be starting a new sentence would be disturbing. Banners+ has a preferences pane in the Settings application where you can adjust its position, shown below:

In addition to choosing the location on the screen where you want the notification to appear, Banners+ also gives you the ability to automatically mute the sounds of all notifications so that you can’t hear them – only see them. The second option allows you to dismiss the notification by tapping on it with two fingers when it appears on the screen so you can get the notification out of your way quickly if it ends up floating on top of something that you're busy looking at or reading.

When live, Banners+ will be on the ModMyi repository for free. It will not work on the iPhone or iPod touch as it was only intended for the iPad and it will require iOS 5 to be installed. For those of you that love trying new ways to do something on your iOS device, Banners+ will be a worthy jailbreak tweak to give a test run. However, if you're content with the way the iPad displays notifications already, then it's probably not something you're going to need that much.

Sources: Rudolf Lichtner

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Love the idea here. I think the notifications themselves could use some better creative direction. With all that space that's being taken up perhaps it'd be cool if the app icon was a little bigger.

Looking forward to testing it out when it's available.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Make an iPhone one. Looks interesting for sure

iPhone? More like MyPhone Colin9001's Avatar
    Thanks

Things like this make me want an iPad.
    The amazing specs, tweak capability, the large screen.
    You can't put tweaks like windowed multitasking on an iPhone or this notification style.

The One and the Only (retired secret moderator) iPod's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazing that it's free!

secret moderator... Please hit that THANKS button over there if I helped you in any single way

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Looks great but a little annoyed there's going to be another article about it once it's out.

Thanks

Wow.. just looking at this is a must have!

And it's free....kudos man, kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Looks great but a little annoyed there's going to be another article about it once it's out.
    Your annoyed by something that hasn't happened..?

Thanks

Looks great

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    I'm a little annoyed that there are going to be articles about the iPhone 5 once it's out because I already know that there is going to be one.
    if only we lived in a world where articles where only written once regardless of new features, changes or annoucements

My iPhone is a Part of Me ssemmel's Avatar
    Thanks

Notipad was just released. Did they change the name? Looks like it does the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssemmel View Post
    Notipad was just released. Did they change the name? Looks like it does the same thing.
    Yah I saw that, the authors name is Andre oliva(something along those lines)
    But it says here the author is rudolf litchner... Weird:/ hopefully somebody didn't rip off the dev

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ssemmel View Post
    NotiPad is a paid alternative with more features and a slightly tweaked interface in comparison to Banners+. NotiPad was also in the design process before Banners+, however a version by Joshua Tucker and an unnamed developer was in progress before NotiPad was announced. My advice is to wait for Joshua Tucker's version as it will come complete with many more features and a streamlined interface.