+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's First iPad Prototype is Nearly Ten Years Old

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple's First iPad Prototype is Nearly Ten Years Old

In January 2010, Apple raised the curtain on its long-rumored tablet computer that we've all come to know as the iPad. But as new details come to light about the creation of this market-dominating device, it's clear that the iPad wasn't something Apple rushed into.

When Steve Jobs debuted the iPad two and a half years ago, a number of doubt-filled critics wondered if the masses were truly ready for this type of product. As we now know, the mobile market was more than ready. But just imagine how vociferous those critics would have been if Apple unveiled the first-generation iPad back when the company first started tinkering with the prototype.

On Wednesday morning, images of the earliest known iPad prototype emerged in a report from Network World. In December of last year, Samsung deposed Apple Senior Vice President of Industrial Design Jonathan Ive. Now, some of the issues discussed during the deposition have surfaced in Apple/Samsung court filings that were obtained by Network World. For starters, the first iPad prototype was created a long time ago.

"My recollection of first seeing it is very hazy, but it was, I'm guessing, sometime between 2002 and 2004... I remember seeing this and perhaps models similar to this when we were first exploring tablet designs that ultimately became the iPad," Ive revealed.

As we can tell from the image presented, Apple didn't stray much from that initial prototype in terms of the general look and feel of what became known as the first generation iPad. As Steve Jobs once personally attested at the All Things D conference in 2010, the iPad was, indeed, an idea stewing in his head for quite a while. "I’ll tell you a secret," Jobs admitted. "It began with the tablet. I had this idea about having a glass display, a multitouch display you could type on with your fingers. I asked our people about it. And six months later, they came back with this amazing display. And I gave it to one of our really brilliant UI guys. He got [rubber band] scrolling working and some other things, and I thought, ‘my God, we can build a phone with this!’ So we put the tablet aside, and we went to work on the iPhone."

Source: Network World

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 773 Posts

Well.... I'm glad they waited a while to perfect its design.

Thanks

look how thick that bad boy is. glad they waited to slim it down no one wants to carry a TV set around

Thanks

Id still take it

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yeah!!! Now fanboys can use the "Apple invented the iPad 10 years ago so all competition copied them" argument. Hooray.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

The Photo used is different from a few reputable sources that have already wrote about this story.

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Yeah!!! Now fanboys can use the "Apple invented the iPad 10 years ago so all competition copied them" argument. Hooray.

Finally

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Technically, if the photos are real, then yes, the iPad (idea) was derive from this. And technically, the second point is true as well. Do you think any android tablets would of emerged if the iPad didn't exist?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

http://www.networkworld.com/communit...ipad-prototype

There's a lot more photos here of the iPad prototype

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
    Technically, if the photos are real, then yes, the iPad (idea) was derive from this. And technically, the second point is true as well. Do you think any android tablets would of emerged if the iPad didn't exist?
    +1

iPad 1 - android 0

Thanks

This was actually discussed in Steve Jobs Biography, iPad idea was around before iPhone. They used the iPad they had, to improve the iPhone. So yes it could be said that Apple worked on this project along time, and it took maybe a year for people to start to copy it.

Thanks

Troll.

Thanks

I once wrote here about the fact that iphones are indeed small ipads. Remember when the iPad came out and a lot of people joke about "oh look is like a gigant iPhone". So wrong.