+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NYT's Sources Confirm Smaller iPad with Cheaper Pricing to be Released in Fall

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default NYT's Sources Confirm Smaller iPad with Cheaper Pricing to be Released in Fall

The New York Times recently joined a series of publications by claiming that a source provided insider information of Apple’s plan to release a smaller, less expensive iPad model for release later this year. The report provides no additional information but does confirm previous rumors by saying consumers can expect the unannounced 7.85-inch iPad that will cost “significantly less than the latest $499 iPad” when it debuts later this year.

Previous reports from The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg both claimed Apple was working on the currently called “iPad Mini” saying the next device is expected to launch before the year’s end. Recently, images of supposed iPad Mini “engineering samples” were leaked and included side-by-side comparisons with the current third-generation iPad.

According to analysts and those in the technology industry, Apple’s move to create a smaller iPad is a new strategy the company is using to try and garner and retain a larger market share by introducing a variety of tablet sizes. Here, The New York Times, cleverly pointed out that the introduction of a new model is similar to the strategy used with the iPod line, which ranges from the iPod Shuffle to the iPod Classic.

If the iPad Mini is announced, it might face some tough competition with Google’s Nexus 7 tablet and the upcoming Amazon Kindle Fire models. The target audience is lower but the company may overall flourish as many continue to grow fond of Apple products and switching platforms is usually more effort than it’s worth. That being said, such a move would also allow Apple to target a new audience which was previously untapped potential for them. We’ll have to wait and see what move Apple takes next though.

Source: The New York Times

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple and any of the words "cheap" "cheaper" "cheapest" do not go in the same sentence when referring to "any" of its products.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If it includes a GPS chip, I am buying, otherwise I will get the Nexus 7.

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bry2k2 View Post
    Apple and any of the words "cheap" "cheaper" "cheapest" do not go in the same sentence when referring to "any" of its products.
    Cheaper is a relative term. It will be cheaper than its big brother the iPad and more expensive than its little brother the iPod Touch. As far as it being cheap then you're right. It's Apple LOL No way it'll be cheap in comparison to similar devices from other manufacturers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Cheaper is a relative term. It will be cheaper than its big brother the iPad and more expensive than its little brother the iPod Touch. As far as it being cheap then you're right. It's Apple LOL No way it'll be cheap in comparison to similar devices from other manufacturers.
    +1

Thanks

I'm guessing 299 USD introductory price.

Second guess on 349.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    +2

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing is confirmed unless Apple confirms it. Move on.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

I would get it if I could run my programs for coding. But alas, crapple won't allow it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mustard05 View Post
    Nothing is confirmed unless Apple confirms it. Move on.
    Like the iPhone 4 leak?

..this is pretty dang obvious that having a smaller iPad will make it cheaper 300$ sounds reasonable for 16gb and 400$ 32 etc

iPhone? More like MyPhone emmanravalo's Avatar
    Thanks

if this release then no more ipod touch? just new ipod nano.. with touch screen and home button?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    Like the iPhone 4 leak?

..this is pretty dang obvious that having a smaller iPad will make it cheaper 300$ sounds reasonable for 16gb and 400$ 32 etc
    The product being found in a bar is very different that a bunch if Rumor Reporters saying something will come to fruition.

Thanks

The creation of the "iPad Mini" was inevitable. I don't think it will have Retina display..too expensive for this little package. Im thinking it will be a small version of the iPad 2 at this time, just to get it out there. They can always use firmware updates for OS upgrades and make a new one 6-12 months from now with Retina if they choose to do so. My point is this: Apple has to get the price right(my Bob Barker voice Currently and iTouch is $199-$399 respectively. Why would someone buy an iTouch for more than the iPad mini is worth..?? Just saying. Im thinking $249-$299, if it is a smaller iPad 2. More if they decide to go the retina route..$299-$349. All in my opinion of course guess we will have to wait and see.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Let me get this straight. iPad 3rd gen starts at $499. iPad 2 starts at $399. iPod touch starts at $199. iPhone 4 is $99. 3GS is free. And the iPad is pretty much a blown up iPod touch in most ways. (yes i have an iPad and apps and other stuff are better. I agree.) But why would you need another device to compete with your own products? Apple’s products are already at a scaled pricing method.

My iPhone is a Part of Me buggsy2's Avatar
    Thanks

"NYT…confirms" wtf. Only Apple can confirm rumors about their products. "NYT joins chorus of rumors", yeah.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buggsy2 View Post
    "NYT…confirms" wtf. Only Apple can confirm rumors about their products. "NYT joins chorus of rumors", yeah.
    Pathetic ain't it. I am thinking this rumor is all about stealing some sales from Googles Nexus 7. Seriously though, every time I read about these ******** rumors I think about all of the "reputable sources" claiming a Apple Tv launch was confirmed. Haha, thank god those rumors have died. Now I'm just waiting for these iPad mini rumors to die.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

According to the photo, it also features a "mirror image" display, as well as volume buttons on the opposite side of standard iPad.