Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple to Reduce iPad Heat By Adjusting the Backlight

Default Apple to Reduce iPad Heat By Adjusting Backlight

Apple has taken the extra heat generated by the new iPad into consideration. What was thought to be an issue with the graphics processor running hot because of the retina display and intense graphics is now being revealed as a possible issue with Apple's new backlighting system:

The extra LED is reportedly adding to overheating and that using one LED will help solve overheating issues since more backlights along with more power to heat those backlights is causing overheating.
    The backlight seemed like an interesting excuse from the company, but apparently Apple moved to a dual LED module to help with lighting. Switching back to a single LED module could fix the problem as there would be less heat generated from one LED rather than two. Citing Digitimes' sources, using one LED module instead of two will not affect clarity or luminosity of the retina display found on the new iPad.

There’s no counting out the fact that the graphics processor had something to do with the overheating, since graphics equipment can get very hot when using it with intense games. Users last reported that the overheating was most noticeable during graphics-intense operations, which leads to the implied issue with the graphics processor and not with the LED backlight. It could also be a combination of the two that leads to the overheating.

Maybe the change, in Apple’s eyes, will help reduce the great volcanic heat produced by the new iPad instead of completely getting rid of it. For most users, a little bit of warmth is acceptable and even comfortable for holding or setting the device down on your lap; it's just that leg-burning heat that is not acceptable. There is no word on whether Apple will replace iPad models that are getting too hot with the revised model.

Sources: Digitimes
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 07-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

This is just like "There is not a reception issue on the iPhone 4, it is just displaying too much reception which will be fixed in the next iOS update". So typical of Apple... Lost confidence in Apple product when iPhone 4 issues (plural) came up and how Apple "resolved" them.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-06-2012 at 10:53 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-06-2012)

Can't blame the LED modules. Unless they are using high powered LEDs (1w+/50lumens per LED/run off of 350mA each), the LEDs used in typical backlight units are side emitting super slim LEDs that consume only 20mA each and their light output is only rated in the mcds, not even lumens. You would need a heck of a lot of closely spaced low powered LEDs to generate heat problems and the circuit driving those LEDs cannot in the LCD cannot generate that much heat either, unless the circuit was designed very poorly. The thermal scan image of the new ipad heating up should have shown the LCD frame heating up if the LED modules were the cause...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I'd vote against it being the backlight. Why? Because during normal operations (i.e. reading email, surfing the web, etc.) there's barely a difference. However, fire up a game like Angry Birds or Temple Run and play them for more than five minutes, even with the brightness set to less than half, and you'll easily see a spike in the heat. It's the pushing of the extra pixels, not the backlight.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MarqueIV For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-06-2012)

VOLCANIC HEAT??? Whatever the hell you're smoking, I want some.

This sounds more like something a competitor would try to float. Best way to kill Apple's sales of the Ipad3, is to get word that a new, improved, Ipad3A is coming out "Just before Christmas." Oh, come on. Does no one remember Osbourne?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    This is just like "There is not a reception issue on the iPhone 4, it is just displaying too much reception which will be fixed in the next iOS update". So typical of Apple... Lost confidence in Apple product when iPhone 4 issues (plural) came up and how Apple "resolved" them.
    I still have signal loss to this day holding the phone on the left side

Not only the iPad 3 rd generation ! Even my iPad 2 is getting hot in a few minutes !

Quote Originally Posted by mikerlx View Post
    I still have signal loss to this day holding the phone on the left side
    That's why you use a case or a new iPhone. Apple admitted it wasn't a software problem..

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

so apple is going to now limit brightness from 100% down to what like 75% g4y

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BenderRodriguez For This Useful Post:

cpotoso (07-06-2012)

Mine doesn't get all that hot- I see it like the i4 "reception" problem, never had an issue there, either. If I use the iPad outdoors, or in the sun through a window, it can get warm. If it starts to feel "too" warm, I simply.... turn it off or move to a less sunny area. Indoors, I've never had an issue. And no, I don't want a free bumper for it.

This is plainly STUPID. If they use only 1 led, the screen will be dimmer, unless they put more power into that led, producing more heat there. I thought that the reality distortion field had died with SJ...

My iPhone 4 gets pretty hot..

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    so apple is going to now limit brightness from 100% down to what like 75% g4y
    It was cleared up by the source that the single LED module would produce the same luminosity as the double. I believe the article that I wrote also stated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It was cleared up by the source that the single LED module would produce the same luminosity as the double. I believe the article that I wrote also stated that.
    Ok, but I can't help but wonder why they used the double in the first place, or if the single really is as bright or luminous as the double (remember, just because they say it is, doesn't actually mean it is; I learned a very long time ago to not simply believe everything marketing/PR says.)

Thanks

Apple is now out of the the Green energy compliance stuff, so ow they can do and make whatever they want without any legal check as such. To a larger extent they will now be careless about the green tech stuff, which is a bad sign for the environment.