Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: WSJ: Apple Tells Suppliers to Prepare for Production of New iPad

Thanks

Default WSJ: Apple Tells Suppliers to Prepare for Production of New iPad

Rumors and evidence of a new smaller iPad model continue to grow as a new report comes in, claiming that Apple told its component suppliers to prepare for mass production of such a device this week. After citing anonymous sources, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple’s Asian component suppliers are preparing for mass production of the smaller iPad in September. The device in question is an iPad with a screen size smaller than 8 inches.

Currently, iPads feature a 9.7 inch display (diagonally) and numerous rumors this year have been pointing toward a so-called “iPad Mini” featuring a 7.85-inch display. According to the report, both LG Display Co. and AU Optronics Co. will be suppliers of displays for the new iteration of the iPad. The report said movement in the supply chain has suggested that the launch of a smaller iPad “appears near.” The WSJ report comes shortly after that of Bloomberg, which also stated that Apple is gearing up to launch a smaller iPad by the end of the year.

Previous reports suggested that Apple could announce the new iPad model to be released in October, the same month that the market expected the Cupertino California company to introduce its new iPhone model. Over the past few days, there seems to be a flurry of news related to Apple’s rumored “iPad Mini.” The device is said to feature a Sharp IGZO display and cost roughly $249 and $299.

The concept behind the whole idea is that Apple would be releasing a smaller tablet to directly compete with the low-end tablet market where Amazon found success with its 7-inch Kindle Fire tablet late last year. Google is also set to enter and compete in the same market next month with the launch of its Nexus 7 tablet, which is priced at $199 (the same price as that of the Kindle Fire). In this case, Apple’s iPad is considered more of a luxury and not really seen to be in the same league due to its larger size and consequently larger price tag. The “iPad Mini” could help change these issues though.

Source: The Wall Street Journal
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 07-05-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Hope this turns out to be true. I like the smoothness of ios devices ad the smaller size of the kindle fire. It's not a monetary or low end issue. It's the convenience of a 7in tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsouthernindiana View Post
    Hope this turns out to be true. I like the smoothness of ios devices ad the smaller size of the kindle fire. It's not a monetary or low end issue. It's the convenience of a 7in tablet.
    My wife prefers my bigger, 10-inch Ipad.

My iPhone is a Part of Me TheDirtyDiddler's Avatar
    Thanks

A 3GS-quality display will keep me from buying this. If it's retina, I'm definitely going for it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDiddler View Post
    A 3GS-quality display will keep me from buying this. If it's retina, I'm definitely going for it.
    I don't think any of us can go back to the regular display. I refuse!

Quote Originally Posted by turdsmoka View Post
    Mine does not compline about the 9.7" iPad I let her use and that a smaller one would not be as enjoyable.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mrrippey's Avatar
    Thanks

+1
    Rippey
    iOS 4.0 3Gs 32GB on the lamb
    Still has nice things on it, pictures too

What ever happen to the itv or what ever they called it?

If this is true, only 1 option exist. It will have same resolution as the iPad 2. This will prevent the devs to include another resolution in their apps. That'll give it about 166 PPI. That would support the rumored price range since it would cost way too much to have an iPad 3 resolution display (which would put the PPI in the iPhone 4 range).

Haha I can't tell If we're talking about iPads anymore

But on topic, this is a great move by apple because the smaller tablet market isn't really buying right now I mean sure the kindle fire is doing well but the small tablet market is small right now because most of the interested ones arent buying yet. Another cool thing about the small tablet market is, is that it's price is low enough that consumers can upgrade it almost every year.

Apples going to have big competition with windows tablet cause it's running full computer software.

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Is that the black model or white one?