+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gates: Apple Needs a Surface-like Device

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default Gates: Apple Needs a Surface-like Device

Microsoft founder Bill Gates recently stated that its upcoming tablet, the Surface, may prompt Apple to shift its iPad strategy in order to compete with capabilities offered by their Windows 8 tablet in an interview on PBS. According to Gates, Microsoft’s Surface is a completely new form factor which he feels is “exciting” for the market.

Gates continued to discuss how consumers would be given the best of both worlds with the Surface – a tablet that runs a full-fledged desktop operating system. He seemed to be clearly alluding to the iPad’s stripped down mobile operating system. According to Gates:

You don’t have to make a compromise. You can have everything you like about a tablet and everything you like about a PC all in one device. And so that should change the way people look at things.
    When asked about how Steve Jobs was able to get the iPad and the iOS platform off the ground while Microsoft struggled with launching a successful Windows tablet, Gates said it was because of the “package that he (Jobs) had put together.” This specific “package” was assumed to be the successful combination of Apple’s hardware design and the company’s multi-touch mobile operating system that’s not only easy to use but also aesthetically pleasing. He pointed out how many early attempts at Windows-based tablets ended up not being “thin and attractive.”

For those of you who didn’t already know, Microsoft announced the Surface two weeks ago in a surprise event, revealing that the company would launch two versions of the device, an ARM-supported model called Surface for Windows RT and an Intel Core i5 iteration dubbed Surface for Windows 8 Pro. The new device soon to be released by Microsoft has already been causing controversy with OEMs that license Windows for their hardware. Acer founder Stan Shih felt that the tablet was a ploy to boost Windows 8 adoption, guessing that Microsoft is likely to abandon the project later this year. HP was said to be ditching Windows RT all together for other mobile operating systems.

Apple has been clearly dominating the tablet market since the release of the original iPad in 2010 and seems to be continuing the trend thus far. Analysts are estimated that the iPad’s market share (which is currently sitting at 60% for 2012) could account for 50.9% of total shipments by 2016. Furthermore, tablet sales are forecast to surpass laptop sales in the next four years growing from 121 million units this year to 416 million in 2016. Last but not least, there are several rumors going around that a 7.85-inch version of the iPad is in the works for a release date later this fall. That being said, we’ll have to see what happens to the market once the Surface is released, Google’s Nexus tablet is released, and if the rumored smaller version of the iPad is released.

Source: PBS via CNET

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I personally hope the Surface is a huge success for two major reasons. The first is how cool it would see Apple to release the full operating system on a tablet with usb 3 ports and that cool keyboard cover or something similar. And secondly if the Window's Surface tablet is super popular and does not have a huge price tag(we'll see), maybe Apple will be forced to keep their price in check.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Didn't they say multiple times that this tablet isn't to be competing against the iPad? That it's only to show the consumer that this is what they have to offer and more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1shuttle1 View Post
    I personally hope the Surface is a huge success for two major reasons. The first is how cool it would see Apple to release the full operating system on a tablet with usb 3 ports and that cool keyboard cover or something similar. And secondly if the Window's Surface tablet is super popular and does not have a huge price tag(we'll see), maybe Apple will be forced to keep their price in check.
    Success of other tablets leads to further innovation and more competitive pricing. Let's do this.

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

This a bit of BS. for most people, the RT version of the tablet wont cut it and the only way to gain access to the full windows OS then they will need to pay more. and i think that microsoft will price the full windows 8 pro tablet well above $500. apple has got it right. they designed a OS for touch. and only touch. windows its self is a point and click os. what microsoft should have done is said right, here is windows 8, if you own a desktop, this will be fine. but if you own a tablet, then buy the metro add-on. this way people are not forced to use a tablet home screen on a desktop computer and tablet customers.

i dont think i explained that how i thought about it in my head... lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My guess is that Surface is gonna rock.
    The way I see it, iPad has a better screen and everything else goes for Surface. Just think about it, Android never really offered something totally new, and a lot of people bought it. Surface, on the other hand, runs the same Windows everyone is used to work with on their PCs, not to mention the super cool keyboard. About the price, Apple's products are overpriced and everyone buys them, people will buy Surface as well, even if it is expensive, and hopefully, they'll buy it enough so that Apple is forced to really improve iPad's features and prices.

Thanks
    @ 1shuttle 1.......True that!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

pictures?

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

Follow the leader Windows, follow the leader...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EddieLeonard View Post
    This a bit of BS. for most people, the RT version of the tablet wont cut it and the only way to gain access to the full windows OS then they will need to pay more. and i think that microsoft will price the full windows 8 pro tablet well above $500. apple has got it right. they designed a OS for touch. and only touch. windows its self is a point and click os. what microsoft should have done is said right, here is windows 8, if you own a desktop, this will be fine. but if you own a tablet, then buy the metro add-on. this way people are not forced to use a tablet home screen on a desktop computer and tablet customers.

i dont think i explained that how i thought about it in my head... lol
    Windows 8 is specifically designed for touch UI....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Adding ports and a keyboard makes it a laptop people

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Lol this will not change the price of the iPad at all, the iPad is for other types of consumers and the surface is for the remaining customers (ones who can't afford)

This will however force apple to up their game

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xTorch View Post
    The way I see it, iPad has a better screen and everything else goes for Surface. Just think about it, Android never really offered something totally new, and a lot of people bought it. Surface, on the other hand, runs the same Windows everyone is used to work with on their PCs, not to mention the super cool keyboard. About the price, Apple's products are overpriced and everyone buys them, people will buy Surface as well, even if it is expensive, and hopefully, they'll buy it enough so that Apple is forced to really improve iPad's features and prices.
    The only thing the surface does that the iPad does not do as of yet is run an OS. and that is only one version of the surface which may be priced like a notebook. What does the surface do compared to the iPad besides that? Apps? Retina screen? The keyboard is enough for you to think the surface is better? lol nothing has been shown yet that makes iPad users want to change tablets.

Thanks

For the first time in decades I sorta agree with Bill, kinda. He's right that a tablet should be closer to a laptop than a smartphone. Using an unchanged smartphone OS-iOS-is lame on Apple's part, though it sure hasn't hurt sales. But he shouldn't crow until his Surface is hatched, grown up, and selling well. I hope it does and will be ready to buy one if it proves worthy.

Thanks

The way I see it, iPad has a better screen and everything else goes for Surface. Just think about it, Android never really offered something totally new, and a lot of people bought it.
    Not all people "bought" Android phones. Remember, a lot of Android phones were given away with a contract, or all those buy 1, get 1 (or more) free phones. That's why Android was able to take off. People wanted the iPhone experience but a lot did not want to pay that much, so they went with the cheaper/free option.

Surface, on the other hand, runs the same Windows everyone is used to work with on their PCs, not to mention the super cool keyboard. About the price, Apple's products are overpriced and everyone buys them, people will buy Surface as well, even if it is expensive, and hopefully, they'll buy it enough so that Apple is forced to really improve iPad's features and prices.
    Surface for Windows 8 Pro, will run the same OS as the desktop version will once it's released. Other than those with a copy of developer release of Win 8 know how to use it. Everyone else will have no idea how to use Win 8.

Windows Surface RT will NOT run the desktop version, and will be more like Windows Phone 7

It's really tough to tell which of these tablets will take off, or if it will even take off at all. My guess is that it will be the Surface RT. It will be cheaper, lighter, have better battery life, and will be for consuming media just like the iPad.

As for the iPad being overpriced, history has shown us otherwise. May not be worth the admission price to you, but it certainly has been to millions of other people.

Thanks

Microsoft is a company in panic mode! It's losing money so fast cause people are turning to the iPad for straight forward day to day use! Laptops,and desktops are dying fast!

Thanks

Microsoft went wrong with this in so many ways... And I wish they hadn't...
    1. Two versions of the tablet which are incompatible. If I develop an app for one version, it won't work on the other. I have to develop and support to versions of the same app.
    2. They announced a product now which will not be available for months and months.
    3. The consumer product is a crippled OS, so any real distinction they could have with Apple is gone. The consumer should have the full OS.
    This had so much potential given that Gates predicted the tablet form factor was the way of the future long long ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scroogelives View Post
    Microsoft is a company in panic mode! It's losing money so fast cause people are turning to the iPad for straight forward day to day use! Laptops,and desktops are dying fast!
    Oh, thanks for letting me know. Strangely at work I see no tablets ...that might be because to do anything productive and useful, like writing, programming, analyzing data, etc tablets are useless. Now, if you want to play some simple games, and checkin on Facebook, tablets are great.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    Microsoft went wrong with this in so many ways... And I wish they hadn't...
    1. Two versions of the tablet which are incompatible. If I develop an app for one version, it won't work on the other. I have to develop and support to versions of the same app.
    2. They announced a product now which will not be available for months and months.
    3. The consumer product is a crippled OS, so any real distinction they could have with Apple is gone. The consumer should have the full OS.
    This had so much potential given that Gates predicted the tablet form factor was the way of the future long long ago.
    +1 You really hit the nail on the head. They still do not get it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks