+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NPD: Tablets Projected to Surpass Notebooks by 2016

is a discussion within the

iPad News

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
    Thanks

Default NPD: Tablets Projected to Surpass Notebooks by 2016

According to a new forecast by NPD DisplaySearch, shipments of touchscreen tablets, led by Apple’s market-dominating iPad, will surpass traditional notebooks by the year 2016. In its report, the generic term “tablets” was used with the iPad being the only one singled out.

Apple’s iPad currently dominates the tablet market and is expected to account for more than 60% of all tablets shipped in 2012, with an even higher share of actual sales to customers. NPD’s report didn’t offer any breakdown of how much the tablet market it expects the iPad to control in 2016 but the company’s “Quarterly Mobile PC Shipment and Forecast Report” expects that tablet shipments will grow from 121 million units in 2012 to 416 million by 2017. In the same five-
    year time frame, the projection indicates notebook shipments to increase from 208 million to 393 million.

Senior analyst, Richard Shim, at NPD DisplaySearch had the following to say:

Consumer preference for mobile computing devices is shifting from notebook to tablet PCs, particularly in mature markets. While the lines between tablet and notebook PCs are blurring, we expect mature markets to be the primary regions for tablet PC adoption. New entrants are tending to launch their initial products in mature markets. Services and infrastructure needed to create compelling new usage models are often better established in mature markets.
    The growth in tablet shipments is expected to be driven by “mature markets” where they are expected to reach 80 million units in 2012 and 254 million by 2017.NPD believes that tablets will continue to evolve and become increasingly powerful, turning them into a “compelling alternative to notebook PCs” for many consumers.

Source: NPD DisplaySearch

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The only reason I think this may happen is because people start to make tablet more like a notebook (or going back to the old traditional tablet form from the 90's) with more powerful computing equipment and not a current model with limited OS. All that was missing is physical keyboard which Microsoft solved with their cover keyboard.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    The only reason I think this may happen is because people start to make tablet more like a notebook (or going back to the old traditional tablet form from the 90's) with more powerful computing equipment and not a current model with limited OS. All that was missing is physical keyboard which Microsoft solved with their cover keyboard.
    I agree except the thing that has started to make tablets override the notebook market is because Microsoft literally has windows 8 running on the tablet making it a notebook tablet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone xxhorseriderxxx's Avatar
    Thanks

The day I get a laptop is the day that it performs greater than a laptop, no time sooner. Also, I'm disappointed that you can't get a tablet at 13" or 15"; personally if I buy one I was atleast a 15".

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxhorseriderxxx View Post
    The day I get a laptop is the day that it performs greater than a laptop, no time sooner. Also, I'm disappointed that you can't get a tablet at 13" or 15"; personally if I buy one I was atleast a 15".
    I think you mean to say the day you buy tablet is the day that it performs greater than a laptop?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Probably because most people have a notebook for web surfing only. Why buy a full notebook when you can get a tablet.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Probably because most people have a notebook for web surfing only. Why buy a full notebook when you can get a tablet.
    that may be why people buy tablet, but not a notebook.
    Whatever a tablet can do notebook can do better (except quick start from hibernation), plus you can actually install software!